357 fits in a j frame 38 Spl +P

jhenry

Why? I think the guy has pretty well established that what he is saying is valid. What would a photo of the obvious show.

claymore1500

What do you suppose the odds are that they mistakenly put a 640 cyl. in your 638, Both are stainless although I am not familiar enough with either to know if the center pins are the same.?:confused::confused:

aarondhgraham

Get the definitive answer,,,

Call Smith & Wesson about the problem,,,
Surely they will identify the exact problem and correct it.

I mean,,,
It's a free phone call.

By Telephone:
1-800-331-0852 (USA)
Mon-Fri 8:00AM-8:00PM Eastern Time

Aarond

bossman

Why? I think the guy has pretty well established that what he is saying is valid. What would a photo of the obvious show.

Cause I live close to the show me state. I'm not saying a photo would prove anything, but laying a 357 round next to that cylinder don't either. It's whats on the inside that counts. This gun could very easily slipped out of S&W with a 357 cylinder. If so send it back and they will make it right, or keep it and have a cheap 357. Keep it and shoot 38 spl and show everyone that it will take a 357 round and win a lot of beer bets. :rolleyes:

jhenry

A photo with a round in it, with only the rim showing, ain't going to tell you whether it is a .357 cylinder or not. The photo already posted however does tell the tale.

Bill DeShivs

The only difference in the newer .38 and .357 J frames is how the cylinder is chambered. All other dimensions are the same.

Seaman

3 - 38 spl +P J-frames pictured below. First pic shows how 357 cartridge sticks out and will not chamber. 2nd pic shows muzzle end...that there is more room, enuf to chamber a longer cartridge if chambers are cut deeper.

Either your chambers were cut too deep or a 357 cylinder was mistakenly installed...or someone bubba'd it. Is it a new handgun?

As already stated, not to be used with 357 ammo. Proper cylinder should be installed.

Attachments

• S&W J 1.JPG
    S&W J 1.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 135
  • S&W J 2.JPG
    S&W J 2.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 101

arentol

This thread would only be about 12 posts long if people had actually read and understood the original post.

Reading Comprehension FTW!

And Bossman, if you don't believe him now, then how would the photo you request convince you?

He could just use an empty brass for that shot you know. If you think he is a liar then the only way to change your mind would be for him to film himself putting six .357's in there and spinning the cylinder, after measuring them on camera. Anything less and he could easily fake it. So if you disbelieve him even after the photo above then there is no point to him trying to convince you. You won't ever believe.

Lost Sheep

Dimensions

MW surveyor said:
(edited for brevity)Hope that any other people also read my post the way I wrote it.
In newspaper parlance, you "buried the lead". May I suggest you go back to the first post and highlight the phrase explaining that you did try live .357 Magnum ammo (not firing) by putting it in boldface. That will help people who skim-read too quickly.

I know you put is explicitly in your post #14, but some skim-readers will miss that, too.
MW surveyor said:
The snap caps in 357 measure in at 1.543". A "real" 357 measures in at 1.568" (at least the factory ammo that I have on hand). The 38 special measures 1.483"
I believe the .357 Magnum measures in at 1.290" and 38 Special at 1.155. It is supposed to be the BRASS that prevents chambering a .357 in a 38 chamber, not the bullet nose.

Thanks for your patience with skim-readers and with us nit-pickers, too.

Lost Sheep

MW surveyor

Another photo - this one for the non-belivers

Here's the latest since the first one and the measurements taken have been met with disbelief. My middle finger is holding the rounds in the cylinder tightly. The lead face is the 357 magnum and the copper is a 38 Special.

357and38.jpg

Not sure what else I can do to convince anyone.

I did call S&W on Friday but after 15 minutes on hold, emailed them stating the problem.

Bill - From what I understand, you are correct that all of the j frames are the same size. What I am trying to figure out is since the true revolver rounds headspace on the rim. How do they cut the cylinders for the difference between the 38 and the 357? I guess that there would be a step in the cylinder wall.

Lost Sheep - You are correct sir. I will go back and bold italics for the speed readers :). I also should have stated that the sizes are for a finished round. BTW - I've enjoyed all of your posts especially in the reloading section.

JerryM

Reading comprehension maybe. Many of us need to get our interest raised in the first few lines.
In my case I thought the problem was that snap caps marked .357 would go into the .38 Spl cylinder. In writing it is always an advantage to get the real problem out early, and not clutter it up with other things. The explanation re the snap caps was just extra info that caused the lack of immediate attention as to the real problem.

If he had started out by saying that a .357 cartridge would fit in the cylinder and the cylinder could be closed and rotated, then there would have been less confusion. Why do you think that reports often include a short one page or less executive summary.

Anyway there is an obvious problem and we will be very interested in what happens from here.

Jerry

I can see the shoulder in the photo so it's there, maybe just not cut right.

Stranger things have happened. Like the guy who had his 7 shot cylinder fluted for 6 shots. :rolleyes:

jhenry

This is fun, what does that photo tell you.

What the first photo told me was that the cylinder is the proper overall length for the .357. Some .38 Special cylinders are not, they are shorter. This leaves only two possibilities. 1. That a .357 cylinder made it onto a .38 revolver, or 2. That a .38 cylinder was improperly cut to .357 internal dimensions.

Now, what would a photo of the heads of .357 brass in the cylinder tell us?

Walklightly

The lead face is the 357 magnum and the copper is a 38 Special.

That .357 lead is a pretty flat nose, is that a 180g hard cast? And you never showed the correct angle weather the shell goes all the way in.

I tried to put some Corbon 200g HCFN in my 638. And if the shell went all the way in, they would just fit.

bossman

And Bossman, if you don't believe him now, then how would the photo you request convince you?

He could just use an empty brass for that shot you know. If you think he is a liar

I never called him a liar revert to post #24 and I told him how to make money with the gun. Cylinders are the same length for the for 38 spl and 357 since 1996 when they went to the Magnum J- frame. D@mn this is fun.:D

wsp

Seaman, that's the photo we need to see. Thanks. The counterbore on a 38 cylinder should not be deep enough to allow a 357 round to be fully inserted.

MW surveyor

"That .357 lead is a pretty flat nose, is that a 180g hard cast? And you never showed the correct angle weather the shell goes all the way in"

The 357 is a 158 SJLFN. My finger is holding both of the rounds flush into the chamber. BTW - A leverevoultion 357 also fits.

Yeap, you can see the counter-bore in the cylinders but they are too deep.

I could make up some 38 spl loads in the magnum case, to win the bet. :D

arentol

*fake disbelief on*

Hah!!! That last photo proves nothing. That could just be a .38 Spl brass stuffed 90% of the way with paper and a 9mm bullet just resting on top of the paper. :rolleyes:

*fake disbelief off*

In other words, don't bother trying to prove this to anyone who doesn't believe. It isn't worth it. Just focus on the discussion with the people that do believe, or who are at least willing to suspend disbelief for the purpose of this discussion.

(BTW, I have no idea if you could fake that shot the way I describe, but I am sure a few people here could come up with ways to fake it if they wanted. The point stands).

9mm

It shouldn't do that, dangerous. I saw once, I think here. A member bought a judge 454, it said 7 shots on ctd website, he got it in 7 shots! the gun was only made in 6 shots, Taurus screwed up, put a wrong cylinder in the gun(in this case S&W did ?) The chambers where narrow, and would not handle the pressure of the 454, he never fired it because he looked ALL over the web for this 7 shot 454, sent it to Taurus and they made it right. Got it back in the 6 shots and thinker cylinder walls.

Gun compaines can screw up. 357 shouldn't fit in a 38.

OP I believe you