357 fits in a j frame 38 Spl +P

MW surveyor

Don't post much on this forum but read it at least twice a day.

Here is my question. I bought a S&W 638 j frame marked for 38 S&W SPL +P. Just to see if a 357 would fit in the chamber, I inserted a 357 into the cylinder and WTH they fit perfectly :eek:. To test that all of the cylinders were the same, inserted 357s into all of the 5 chambers. Cylinder closes and will rotate without any binding. The bullet tips do not stick out the front of the cylinder.

I've always been under the impression that the 357 was made to be longer so that this situation did not occur. I've emailed S&W with regard to this but have not had a reply.

Anybody know anything about this?

BTW - I will not shoot the 357 magnums in this gun. I do value my right hand and life.

Last edited:

Daryl

Seems to me that the last line of your post is the most important to remember.

Interesting, but ZI sure wouldn't want to accidentally mix ammo on the gun. Hopefully S&W will remedy the situation to prevent the possibility.

Daryl

jhenry

You need to compare the measurements of the .357 snap caps against real .357 and 38 Special ammunition. I believe you will find that the snap caps in question are manufactured to fit either one. It would not make sense to make 2 types of snap caps when a .38 will fit both. Another test would be to try and drop a .357 into that cylinder. I bet it will stand about 1/10 of an inch proud of the extractor.

JerryM

I suspect that the snap caps are not designed to insure they will not fit in a .38 Spl. If you have any .357 ammo I do not think it will fit.
Jerry

Bill DeShivs

" Did some measurements and also tested real 357s in the gun. No problem with them in the cylinder and the bullet tips do not stick out the front of the cylinder."

Read.

JerryM

I just tried .357 Snap Caps and .357 Cartridges in my .38 Spl M642.
The snap caps went in fine, the .357 Cartridges did not.

There is nothing wrong with your gun, it is the snap caps not made so that they will only fit ..357.

Snap caps are very low pressure ammo.:D:D

Jerry

MW surveyor

Thanks Bill. Hope that any other people also read my post the way I wrote it.

This is not my first revolver but it is my first j frame. I also reload all of my own ammo and know my way around a caliper and a micrometer.

The snap caps in 357 measure in at 1.543". A "real" 357 measures in at 1.568" (at least the factory ammo that I have on hand). The 38 special measures 1.483" These dimensions are for finished rounds

Cylinder measures 1.592" in length. Rim thickness on the 38/357 case is 0.055" to 0.060". So the 357 will fit into the cylinder.

Last edited:

JerryM

[also tested real 357s in the gun. No problem with them in the cylinder and the bullet tips do not stick out the front of the cylinder.]

Sorry I did miss that. You do in fact have a dangerous situation.
Jerry

Webleymkv

Did some measurements and also tested real 357s in the gun. No problem with them in the cylinder and the bullet tips do not stick out the front of the cylinder.

When you say you "tested" real .357's in the gun, did you simply insert them into the chambers and look to see if they stuck out the other end or did you close the cylinder and see if it would rotate too?

The reason I ask is because you can often put a .357 Magnum cartridge into a .38 Special revolver and close the cylinder without the bullets sticking out the other end, but the cartridges usually won't go far enough into the cylinder to allow it to rotate.

MW surveyor

Webleymkv - Yes, I did insert the 357s in to the cylinder, closed the cylinder and cycled through all five with out any problems encountered.

skoro

What you have is a possibly dangerous situation and one that S&W should definitely respond to quickly. Good luck and let us know how it gets resolved.

BTW, did you purchase this j-frame new or was it used?

UtopiaTexasG19

After reading the post from the OP above, and out of curiosity, I took out my .38 Special S&W J frame snubby with a 1967 build and .357 shells will NOT go all the way into the cylinder. They start to bind in the cylinder about the last 1/8"....

bossman

They package 38/357 snap caps and for people who want 357 snap caps they just put the 38/357 snap caps in a package that's labeled 357. All the 357 is a supercharged 38 spl. with longer brass. My 638 will let the 357 in the cylinder but won't close because the brass is to long.

wsp

Tried my 38 Taurus snub. 357 factory ammo is 1/8 inch too long and the cylinder won't close. Maybe another S&W quality control problem?

MW surveyor

Here's a photo

sokro - This was purchase NIB.

On the QC. Man I hope not.

Here's a photo

357.jpg

Believe me, it fits and the cylinder turns without any binding whatsoever. :eek:

Last edited: