.357 Bullet weights

P

PreserveFreedom

I have yet to see anything that a 357 Magnum of any weight has trouble poking a good hole in. I have also heard of a Winchester 110 gr JHP expanding to ¾" in flesh.

ellsworthtoohey

I have a spent Federal 110 gr. JHP .357 in my collection which was fired into water from a 640-1. It easily measures over .75 in. (It does almost as well in a sand backstop too). With such little mass, and great expansion, there could be a problem in a defensive situation if nonfrontal angles are encountered or a very large attacker. Remember Miami and the 115 gr. 9mm, which with most versions outpenetrates a 110 or 125 gr. .357.

Adamantium

Yeah, the 158 grn hydrashock looks like a dud bullet to me also. But look at the 158 classic federal compared to the 125.

125: Bare- 10.65"/.49 Clothed- 11.75"/.51
158: Bare- 16.5"/.5 Clothed- 15.9"/.64
http://www.firearmstactical.com/ammo_data/357magnum.htm

The only difference I see is the 158 expands a tiny bit more and penetraits a lot more. IMO that is one heck of a way for a bullet to be less effective than what everyone promotes as the king .357 bullet with the best street record out there.

Weshoot2: I've always been interested in various JHP loads, thats half the fun of owning a handgun :), and I've just never seen many people talk about XTP's here on the forums so I thought I'd just ask you myself.

ellsworthtoohey

Actually, that Remington 125 gr. Golden Saber looks like a winner to me. It gives good expansion & penetration along with the reduced recoil of a 125 gr.

I've tested the .38 spl. version of the Golden Saber myself, but was unhappy with the shallow penetration. It seems that they may have got it right with the .357 version.

John D

You know, we seem to spend a LOT of time discussing the merits of these various bullet weights. Concerned about ONLY 8" - 12" of penetration?! That bullet only has be penetrate 4" to do it's job...you hit someone with a bullet from 110-158g going 1,200+ FPS, that's gonna do bad things.

I think we've been watching too many movies.....