.357 & 44 Magnum handloads that work well in Revolver and Levergun?

tjmga

44 mag loads using 9.5 gr Universal and 24.3 gr H110 shoot well in both Ruger Red Hawk and Marlin 336-44.

rg1

Loads with Hornady 158gr. XTP’s shoots great in my Marlin micro groove lever action and revolver. I use AA#9 powder at near maximum charges using Accurate Arms data. My 44Magnum Winchester Trapper likes Hornady 240gr XTP’s with Win 296 powder, CCI 350 mag primers at near maximum charges. Same loads shoot great in a Ruger Super Blackhawk. AA#9 for me has been the best powder by far in .357 magnum. I think the Hornady XTP’s just perform well!

labnoti

Use a Redding Adjustable Profile Crimp Die. The profile crimp is the best way to prevent both crimp-jump in revolvers and bullet set-back in tubular magazines.

ciwsguy

41 Magnum?

Isn't that a dead caliber for new firearms production? No thanks. I have enough calibers to reload already and don't see the point in increasing the herd. I'll just have to keep separate ammo for the 44 revolver and the 44 lever gun.

The reason the 240s only shoot well from the rifle at max loads is the added velocity increases gyroscopic stability. Try a shorter bullet, like a 200 or even a 180-grain of the same style and see if they don't do better for you.

Stated where? A text search of the thread shows my mention of the 180 was the first in the thread.

Alaska Mike made a favorable mention of the 200-grain weight, and there are a couple more mentions of that weight that are neutral but not negative. Problems with short bullets often have to do with alignment in the cartridge during seating (runout, which is not something normally considered in a handgun context but which can affect the distortion of lead bullets). Anyway, it's just another thing that can be tried. I have had some commercial cast 180-grain full wadcutters that shot well, but those present feeding issues in lever guns.

jetinteriorguy

Isn't that a dead caliber for new firearms production? No thanks. I have enough calibers to reload already and don't see the point in increasing the herd. I'll just have to keep separate ammo for the 44 revolver and the 44 lever gun.
Henry is still making them in their BBS. I was mostly being facetious, us .41mag guys are kind of different. Until you get bit by the bug you’ll never get it.