.350 Legend

hammie

@stagpanther: Thinking back, I do remember some people re-sizing 8mm (.323) bullets to 0.321 for use in a .32 Winchester special. The odd bullet size is what turned me off on the .350 legend. If you can size down by purchasing even two extra sizing dies, then suddenly it might be worth it. I have tons of .357 / .358 bullets. Mehavey has suggested the winchester xpr as a possibility in .350 legend. Might be a fun range toy and not a lot of money if it didn't meet all expectations.

ernie8

The rifles I made used the same size barrel as most of the rifles made for the .350 legend and all of my loads use .357 bullets . A .357 dia bullet down a .3555 groove barrel means you are engraving the rifling just .0007 deeper . You can lube and resize jackets bullets down .001 with the Lee sizer die with no problems if you want .

P Flados

The 0.355" bore on most 350L gun is not the problem. The 350L normally has a tight neck region on the chamber that will prevent smooth feeding to full in if the bullet is too big.

Lots of folks have had good luck running jacketed bullets through a Lee 0.355" push through sizer.

However, for actual hunting rounds you might be better off chasing down bullets specifically designed for the 350L. Otherwise, you need to be careful selecting bullets that will expand properly at 350L velocities.

stagpanther

The 350L normally has a tight neck region on the chamber that will prevent smooth feeding to full in if the bullet is too big.
You mean like potentially locking the mouth on the bullet causing the case to overpressure and potentially fail? Now how could anything like that ever happen trying to run bigger-than-intended bullets in it?:p:D

stagpanther

I pay about $1 a round for slugs. With my M2 slug barrel, 5 rounds into 5" at 300 yards and still plenty of power for a Deer. The Win SXP 20g, 200 yard groups of 6". Both have a ton of power, about the same cost. Yes, more recoil, they weigh 6.2 and 7.2 pounds as configured.

For the average hunter, the less recoil is probably the biggest factor. Folks in shotgun/straightwall states are not shooting Deer past 100 in the vast majority of cases.
I have a browning silver deer hunter in 20 gauge and it is very accurate with remmie accutips. Even the CVA paramount muzzleloader can deliver superb accuracy and power that rivals many brass cartridges out to 400 yards and beyond.

mehavey

Can you use a cast bullet re-sizer to re-size jacketed bullets?
Lee push-through and case sizing lube
potentially locking the mouth on the bullet causing the case to overpressure
Which is why .356 is is my standard jacketed dimension when using that 180 Speer HotCor
(Cast doesn't seem to give me concerns at .357)
350L normally has a tight neck region on the chamber that will prevent smooth feeding
Bingo...

Look at the last item in the load detail spec for this HotCor combination:
https://thefiringline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6902263&postcount=102
Use the sizing die (3 turns of thread engagement) to 'Size/Taper mouth 0.378"'
Takes care of that problem systematically/uniformly.

Last edited:

taylorce1

John Barness has an article about resizing bullets for the .350 Legend in the new Handloader magazine. He is also a fan of the 180 grain Speer HC.

hammie

@mehavey: I eventually figured what you were talking about. Until a week ago, I didn't even know about the Lee press mounted re-sizing dies. I feel stupid.

@Taylorce1: And yes, I just got my December "Handloader" magazine and was going to mention here, the John Barsness lengthy article on handloading for the .350 legend and for re-sizing .357 and .358 bullets for the legend.

But you beat me to it.

stagpanther

I have 3 rifles in 350 legend--2 AR's and 1 bolt. I did a lot of handload testing (including squeeze-its) and winchester's own 180 gr powerpoint emerged as having the best over-all consistency across my rifles.