.350 Legend

buckey

Been looking at a .350 Legend for my young grand kid's to hunt with here in Mid- Mich. What brand stands out for being dependable in feeding and accuracy? Same goes for ammo, any one brand stand out?
Thanks,

reynolds357

Been looking at a .350 Legend for my young grand kid's to hunt with here in Mid- Mich. What brand stands out for being dependable in feeding and accuracy? Same goes for ammo, any one brand stand out?
Thanks,
Ruger Ranch shoots Deer Season 150s into half inch 3 shot groups at 100. It's not smooth, but it is reliable if you do your part. It will shoot Hornady XTP 147 handloads under 1" at 100 consistently.

Have Winchester as well. It is smooth, but it shoots everything about 2" at 100. There is probably some bullet load combination it will group, but I have not found it yet.

stagpanther

Get him a 30-30 lever gun instead--he'll still have it when he hands it down to his kids whereas a 350 legend will be a myth by then.:D:D

JustJake

350 legend is one of the most popular "myths" I have ever seen.
The 350's not a "legend" in my area. :rolleyes:

The 30-30 or the ol' 45-70 are the go-tos for harvesting version during gun season. They're even Deer Camp fudd-approved. ;)

mehavey

The 350 Legend is good for exactly what it was designed to be:
- Light Recoil
- Fit/Function in AR platform
- Run Heavy to light projectiles, balanced as to cross-section/weight/ballistic reach
- Be Point-Blank ±3" out to 200yds
- Impact at 200 with more energy than the heaviest 357 Mag/Buffalo Bore -- Contact Chest shot from a revolver.
- In straightwall-restricted hunting zones

Other than that... a flash in the pan.

Last edited:

reynolds357

The 350's not a "legend" in my area. :rolleyes:

The 30-30 or the ol' 45-70 are the go-tos for harvesting version during gun season. They're even Deer Camp fudd-approved. ;)
Is your area cartridge restricted?
The 350 Legend was created for a particular purpose and it is very good at what it was designed for. As usual, someone asks a specific question and there are the people who choose to not answer the question, but run off on a rabbit trail.

taylorce1

Having a discussion about this cartridge on another forum. Illinois is opening up next year for straightwall cartridges. However, Illinois requires no magazine or a ZERO round magazine.

ernie8

Mehavey covered it well in his post for the reasons I developed the round . Except for a few . Winchester marketed it for straight wall only as that was not a concern for me . Also I made it to use .223 cases [ as they are plentiful and free ] and common .357 bullets , again as they have a large selection and are cheaper . Win changed the case by about .006 at the head so you would have to buy their cases . Even though we both used the same .3555 ish barrel and twist , they went with a .355 dia bullet . Why ? All the rifles I built had no problems with a .357 bullet for the last 7 years . Sales again ? Back to the original question , Yes more hitting power with less muzzle blast and recoil for kids was a reason . A 45/70 would be a great pick for kids !!!!! It is not even a good pick for Deer for anyone for many reasons . Nothing wrong with a 30/30 . The 350 was made to give you 30/30 power in a small frame bolt rifle or AR platform . Winchester just picked it up and marketed it , they did not develop it .

reynolds357

Mehavey covered it well in his post for the reasons I developed the round . Except for a few . Winchester marketed it for straight wall only as that was not a concern for me . Also I made it to use .223 cases [ as they are plentiful and free ] and common .357 bullets , again as they have a large selection and are cheaper . Win changed the case by about .006 at the head so you would have to buy their cases . Even though we both used the same .3555 ish barrel and twist , they went with a .355 dia bullet . Why ? All the rifles I built had no problems with a .357 bullet for the last 7 years . Sales again ? Back to the original question , Yes more hitting power with less muzzle blast and recoil for kids was a reason . A 45/70 would be a great pick for kids !!!!! It is not even a good pick for Deer for anyone for many reasons . Nothing wrong with a 30/30 . The 350 was made to give you 30/30 power in a small frame bolt rifle or AR platform . Winchester just picked it up and marketed it , they did not develop it .
Did they buy it from you? Buy the name from you? Just curious. I saw a .223 necked up to .357 30 plus years ago in a Thompson Contender. It's not a new concept by any means.

taylorce1

reynolds357 said:
They would all be easy to modify into a zero round mag.

Modifying to a single shot is easy enough for sure. However, not all rifles are equal and I recommend not using an Axis or Ruger Ranch in .350 Legend because of the ejection port. They just arent as easy to load single shot as a more open receiver. Especially if you're teying to make a follow-up shot with gloves on. Also recommend against using a one piece rail to mount optics.

There has been the discussion of the .357 AR or .357 Max Rimless for several years before the Legend was made. I was not aware of it 30 years ago, but probably for the last 15. Two of my buddies are shooting the Legend and one is actually resizing .358 bullets to get more options for reloading.

taylorce1

I used to shoot Handi-Rifles quite a bit, the Scout seems to be filling that niche well. Though I'd still probably prefer a repeater.

mehavey

I recommend not using an Axis or Ruger Ranch in .350 Legend because
of the ejection port. They just aren't as easy to load single shot . . .
???
- Ruger's Ranch and American rifles are bolt action.
`Don't even take my eye off the scope as I cycle the bolt, dump a cartridge into receiver opening, and close it.

;)

Last edited:

ernie8

They did not buy anything . My name for it was the .357 Bandit as it was an addition to the line of straight walled Bandit rifle cartridges in many calibers I started about 25 years ago . I am sure others have played with the idea before me , But it was original to me when I thought of it . Also it was not an AR cartridge 30 years ago that I ever heard of . I just listed the reasons I made rifles for it . It was the most popular of the Bandit line of cartridges for the people that I built rifles for .