35 Remington User Input Requested

Sarge

I am getting the itch for a 35 Remington and would like hear from those of you have used it, hunted with it and loaded for it. I will admit to a prejudice for it because I load lots of 38/357 and the ability to use pistol bullets appeals to me.

My ideal 35 would be a Marlin 336 Texan with Ballard rifling... but them things are bringing near :eek:NINE HUNNERD DOLLARS:eek: so I'll likely settle for a good used example with the pistol-grip stock.

Thanks for replying.

steveNChunter

I have a '59 model Marlin 336 with the straight (non-pistol grip) style stock. I'm the third generation in my family to take deer with it. So I'm also a bit biased. The farthest shot I've taken with it on a deer was about 150 yards. It took maybe 5 staggering steps and fell dead. I've killed at least 20 deer with it over the years and never lost one.

It's more of a safe queen nowadays. Partly because of the scarcity of .35 brass and partly because I want to preserve it for my kids to hunt with. Mine likes Hornady Leverevolution ammo the best and I pretty much duplicate that factory load with my handloads.

Last time I checked Marlin had suspended production indefinitely on .35 rem 336's, but the used market is full of them.

It's a great cartridge for brush/short range hunting, but between it and the .30-30, honestly, there's not a nickel's worth of difference performance-wise

1stmar

I don't hunt with. It, but I load for it. I have a 336c in 35rem, it's an easy cartridge to load for. I have used a variety of powders including aa2230 and imr4064. 200gr sierra pro hunters shoot nice 3 shot clusters. It's pretty much the only rifle I don't shoot 5 shot groups with. Most powder charges are in the 34-38gr range. Good cartridge.

rmocarsky

I have killed numerous deer with mine, a Marlin 336.

It was the first rifle I bought, some 40 years ago.

It is a great rifle and the deer that were killed with it while they did not (but all for one) drop right there they never required more than 1 shot.

The 200 gr. Rem. corelokt that were recovered did not expand very much at all. Maybe the Leverolution would do better.

Rmocarsky

Water-Man

I hunted with a Remington Model 8 in .35 Remington for many years. It took several deer and black bear very efficiently using Core-Lokt ammo.

Salmoneye

I have a 1958 336RC in .35 Rem that I load from 220gr to .360" round balls for...

I love plinking with 158gr cast and low doses of Red Dot with data from here:

http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm

Just be aware that cases are at a premium right now due to them usually being a ''seasonal run', and the 'shortage' making them even lower on the totem pole...I have about a hundred cases, and maybe a hundred factory rounds, so for my loading needs that should last until I find more brass available...

Daffy

Remington 141 Gamemaster here, Don't hunt anymore but it punches tight clusters at 100yds.
38.5 g 4320, 200g xtp
36g 4320, 208g FN cast

jeager106

Many years ago I took a 300 pound boar hog with dads Marlin 336 using Remington 200 grain factory loads.
I shot it 2 X though #2 wasn't needed.
Both bullets were recovered mushroomed in classic style just under the skin in the off side.
Sadly that one was stolen from dad long ago.
I have a Marlin 336 .35 now but have never fired it, have dies, 300 pcs once fired brass & at least 100 of the 200 grain bullets.
I loaded for dads and learned that the ctg. really shoots best with 200 grainers over the 180 grain factory load. I don't know if the old 180 grain load is still available & no loss if it isn't.
Pistol bullets aren't worth a hoot with heavy charges of powder but respond pretty well with reduced loads.
Pistol bullets in the .35 Rem should not be used on game.
The .35 Remignton, like the timeless 30-30, is still, always will be, a fine deer/black bear round within it's range.

longranger

A most popular cast bullet rifle/cartridge,if I had one it would be used just for that.Low pressure,cast lead easy on barrels probably never wear it out.

TnTnTn

Rem 760 pump, Marlin 336SC, Rem M81 here. I have killed a bunch of TN whitetail with the .35 Rem. It is a grand old classic cartridge that just works- big entrance, big exit, big blood trail if they go anywhere. My standard load is 37g/IMR3031/200g Rem corelokt. Try it you will like it especially inside 100 yds.

WalnutBill22

Model 14 remington in 35 remington

I have a great old Model 14 Remington in .35 caliber. It came from Gunbroker with a Lyman Alaskan scope and a Marbles tang sight, and I love to shoot and hunt with it. I feel like I need to wear a red plaid wool jacket when I take it hunting. At any rate, it shoots great with Hornady Leverevolution, keeping groups around an inch at 50 yards. The only problem is that for some reason, it won't feed them through the magazine unless I grind the little soft plastic tips down just a bit. Then it feeds them just fine and they still group fine too. This was another great rifle design from about a hundred years ago.

alex0535

Excellent caliber, a classic brush caliber in this part of the world.

I have killed several deer with my old Marlin 336 in 35 remington, so did my dad, and so did my grandfather, another multi-generational deer slayer.

If you can find an old Marlin 336 in 35 that is in good shape for the right price, get it, kill deer with it, pass it onto your children so that they may also kill deer with it. I would trust it to take any animal that walks in Georgia whether it be large boar, whitetail, or black bear.

Backroad

I have a Marlin from the same year as steveNChunter. It's taken many a deer when I was younger and I never felt undergunned when carrying it as the 35 Rem will anchor most any animal on the North American continent. Excellent hunting load for heavy brush. I've started reloading for it in recent years as it's been difficult to find 35 Rem ammo in the stores.

al

steveNChunter

Sarge- you mentioned the "Texan" model. Did that just mean that it had the straight stock in the early years or was it also the 16.25" barrel, saddle ring, and stock markings? My '59 model 336RC in .35 has a straight stock, whereas RC's were supposed to have pistol grip stocks I believe. Mine has a 20" micro-groove barrel which is correct for a RC in that time frame. It has a gold trigger and no saddle ring or any engraving designating that it would be a "Texan".

Did some RC's have straight stocks or do I have a Texan or something rare?

10325333_771534766213250_8256639018570440246_n.jpg

Last edited:

Sarge

Having always been a Winchester man, my experience with Marlins is limited. I once had a 336-T 30-30 and would love to have the same gun in 35.

I was lead to believe that the 'T' designates the general configuration of a straight lever, grip and 18 1/2" barrel. I may be wrong on that. I am quite happy with the field version, as yours appears to be in your photo.

Very nice Marlin and thank you for sharing.

44 AMP

Staff
The .35 Remington is a good cartridge, although its paper statistics don't show how effective is really is in the game fields.

The lone survivor of the Remington line of cartridges, the .35 Rem was the only one that wasn't in direct competition with a Winchester round. AND, for many years, the only place you could get a factory .35 Rem was in the Marlin rifle.

My uncle got one, after he fell and broke the stock off his .30-30. Very impressive on deer, more so than the .30-30 or .32 Special. Deer don't read ballistics tables.

.35 caliber rifles have never been very popular with US hunters, but they work, and work well. The .35 Rem is the lightest of the bunch, but again, deer don't know that. .35 Rem, .358 Win, .350 Rem Mag & .35 Whelen all seem to hit like the hammer of THor, and the bigger ones in light rifles do it on both ends! :D

hammie

Given the context, I think 44AMP meant what he meant. During the past several decades, there have been very few and very limited new factory offerings in rifles chambered for .35 remington. Supposedly savage chambered their pump action, model 170 for .35 remington but I've never seen one. (I have seen ONE .30-30, mdl 170). There were some .35 remington thompson contender barrels, but I don't remember if they were factory offerings or offerings by custom TC barrel makers. I seem to dimly remember a special run of remington 7600 pumps in .35 remington, but my memory is hazy. Maybe someone else knows if that happened? If remington would offer their 7600 in .35 remington, I would sure buy one in a heart beat. In any case, unless I'm mistaken, the only current .35 rem game in town is the .336 marlin, as it has almost always been.

Dirty_Harry

I dont handload. My go to deer rifle is my Marlin 336 CS in .35 remington. With the leverrevolution ammo I can easily do 1.25-1.5 MOA at 100 yards. I love the Marlin Leverguns, and this one is no exception. Handy, light and quick to point.

Less recoil than my 308's too.

I am sold.