$35/box for Fiocchi 9mm

Rangerrich99

So over the weekend I went and did some shooting at my range (Shooter's World in Peoria, for any Phoenicians) and ran a few drills with a couple carry guns. As I was leaving I noticed that they had some pretty full shelves behind the gun counter so I asked the guy that brought me back my ID how much for a box of 9, and he shook his head and said, "would you believe $35 a box for Fiocchi? And you're limited to one box per customer per day. AND we're probably raising prices again in a couple weeks. We can't keep it in stock. I've never seen anything like it."

Ouch. I shook my head and said good-bye then took my leave.

On the one hand, they seemed to have a lot of ammo, and doing a brisk business. But wow. They're selling out of $35/box ammo.

This sound familiar to everyone else?

capecuddy

In Vegas, the shelves are largely empty. If they have anything it'll be a little high but not gouge level pricing. I seem to be able to get 9mm range ammo and even self defense ammo. 380 is getting tough to find as is the better .22lr.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Hawg

I don't remember seeing any Fiocchi but Magtech and Winchester white box are both 18.99 at my LGS.

Desmosedici

A gun store in a city adjacent to my current one, where I used to frequent, is letting customers purchase one box (per week) of 9mm (50 rounds) for $13.99. I'm not sure what brand it is, i'll have to look when I get home, but it isn't any of the big named brands. Same with .223 for a box of 20.

I don't know if this supply will last very long, I bought some yesterday and they didn't have much left.

In other places around my area, there isn't anything left in the major pistol calibers. Cabela's had a lot of .308 left. Might need to advance my project for a bolt-action rifle in that caliber sooner rather than later.

PolarFBear

wbbh: S-T-U-N-N-I-N-G. How do they stay in business???? And, the price for the TULA!!!! I recall, ages ago, CTD seemed to be a good source of supply. No more.

Warhammer

That's typical business for Cheaper Than Dirt every time there is a panic. Last I checked, they had over 120 official complaints filed with the TX Attorney General's office for price gouging. I washed my hands of CTD years ago. For me, it was more from bad experiences at their retail store than for their price gouging. Being flagged multiple times by mall ninjas who talk down to their customers while telling obvious lies about their "operator" status doesn't make me want to give them my money.

jmr40

Supply and demand. I completely understand charging more. The suppliers and manufacturers are probably charging more too so it isn't just the retailers.

The same 9mm ammo I was paying $8-$10/box for a few months ago is now $25-$30 locally. That is capitalism, at least it is slowing down the hoarders. Charging $100/box is too much IMO. But at the same time we're not talking about gas or food that people have to buy in order to survive. There are laws in most places regulating how much stores can charge for essentials.

TruthTellers

I bought 10mm for $21 a box a week ago.

All those 9mm fanboys who are only fanboys because of the low price may finally get it that the other handgun calibers exist for a reason: either they're smaller calibers that have less recoil and fit in smaller pistols or have more power and are in larger pistols.

It's not a crime to own a semi auto pistol in something other than .22, 9mm, and .45.

wbbh

wbbh: S-T-U-N-N-I-N-G. How do they stay in business???? And, the price for the TULA!!!! I recall, ages ago, CTD seemed to be a good source of supply. No more.
I have no idea, they have been on my,"No" list for a very long time. I must credit 22plinkster for posting the link.

kenny53

Ammo is very hard to find. It doesn't matter what you are looking for, unless it is shotgun ammo. Prices on the second hand market are very high. I guess some good old boys trying to earn a little extra money. I thought about selling a little bit of ammo but figured I can't replace it. When this is over I suggest we buy it cheap and stack it deep. This will happen again.

5whiskey

Thing is this is only the 3rd or 4th run on guns and ammo in a smidge over 10 years. Happens often enough that anyone who has been into shooting sports more than 2 or 3 years should already know the drill.

You think it’s bad now? If Biden wins the election you can stand by for some real tough times!

stagpanther

Just bought a case of 22 mag, 625 rounds, for around $125. Fortunately I have a large supply of components and ready-to-go in 9mm, I bought several cases of the CCI bulk cartridges when they were super-cheap. Where I really goofed was large rifle primers, I underestimated how fast I use them.

44caliberkid

I was at one gun store yesterday that had a good selection of 44 Magnum available and a few boxes of 50 AE. That was it. I guess if you're picking a carry piece based on ammo availability in a crisis, better have a Desert Eagle. Or a nice 4 inch Model 29.

dogtown tom

Warhammer........Last I checked, they had over 120 official complaints filed with the TX Attorney General's office for price gouging...
At least 120 people don't know what "price gouging" really is.;)
Thats why the TX AG won't do anything.