.338 Rem ultra mag

Geezerbiker

Do you guys think this round is going to be around awhile or is it already headed for obsolesce?

I don't have any rifles in the magnum category and I'm thinking about getting a .338 but I don't want to deal with belted cases.

Tony

Geezerbiker

I know that's why I'm interested in it over the .338 Win mag. I might not have made that as clear as I could have...

Tony

jmr40

Everything in 338 is in decline. The 338 ultramag has never been popular and I don't expect that to change. People are killing elk at near 1/2 mile with 243. Granted that is a little extreme, but it does make it hard to justify anything magnum.

AverageJo

338 Norma Or lapua mag are not belted cases. So you have plenty of choices.

At the same time what is the problem with the belated cases, I have reloaded for many years 300 win mag and 300 weatherby and never had an issue.

Please explain your belted case concern .

reynolds357

Do you guys think this round is going to be around awhile or is it already headed for obsolesce?

I don't have any rifles in the magnum category and I'm thinking about getting a .338 but I don't want to deal with belted cases.

Tony
My favorite 338 is the 340 Wby. Mag.
Its belted, but the belt is no issue. I had a 338 ultra and sold it. I liked the Mark V much better than the 700. Both are heavy hitters. The guy I sold my 338 ultra to took it to kodiak and killed a monster bear. Its so overkill for anything but great bear that its not practical. Barnes bullets changed everything. A 7mm will now do what you used to need a 34 to take care of.

Ben Dover

If I were going to get another magnum, it would be a ,300 or .338 Remington Ultra.

IMHO, nothing in North America, not even the big bears, requires a rifle bigger than .30-06, but if the "eargespclitten loudenboomer" gives you the warm fuzzies, it will certainly do the job.:)

T. O'Heir

I'd be very leery of any of the RUM cartridges. Midway lists 7 .338 RUM loads. 1 is an American brand on 'Back Order' and 3 No$ler loads are on 'No Back Order'. 20 rounds starts at about $80 too.
.338 Lapua runs $5ish and up per shot. Basically $100 per 20. Lapua brand bra$$ runs $289.99 per 100. $46.99 per 20 for Hornady brass.
Brass for the RUM is not available. Except Bertram brand from Graf's at $37 per 20.
Belted or not really makes no difference. It gets reloaded just like any case.
The whole thing is worse if you can't get it. Moreso if you have to sell an organ to shoot it. It'd be best to do The Walmart Test. If you can't buy it there, you won't find it in small places.
Nothing in North America, big bears included, requires a magnum of any kind. Magnums are probably the best marketing campaign in history. They don't do anything better than any non-magnum, but they do cost a bunch more.
If you really want a magnum, just because you want one("I want one" is a reason.), think .300 Win Mag. Rifles, brass and ammo are easy to come by and the cartridge has been a long range(1,000 yards) target cartridge for eons.

reynolds357

I'd be very leery of any of the RUM cartridges. Midway lists 7 .338 RUM loads. 1 is an American brand on 'Back Order' and 3 No$ler loads are on 'No Back Order'. 20 rounds starts at about $80 too.
.338 Lapua runs $5ish and up per shot. Basically $100 per 20. Lapua brand bra$$ runs $289.99 per 100. $46.99 per 20 for Hornady brass.
Brass for the RUM is not available. Except Bertram brand from Graf's at $37 per 20.
Belted or not really makes no difference. It gets reloaded just like any case.
The whole thing is worse if you can't get it. Moreso if you have to sell an organ to shoot it. It'd be best to do The Walmart Test. If you can't buy it there, you won't find it in small places.
Nothing in North America, big bears included, requires a magnum of any kind. Magnums are probably the best marketing campaign in history. They don't do anything better than any non-magnum, but they do cost a bunch more.
If you really want a magnum, just because you want one("I want one" is a reason.), think .300 Win Mag. Rifles, brass and ammo are easy to come by and the cartridge has been a long range(1,000 yards) target cartridge for eons.
Magnums have their place. On the beanfield, I can quick guess and hit with the 7 Rum. 600yds and under is money, no brainer. The 7-08 will kill deer the entire 800 yd length of the beanfield. Past 400, you bettter be laser ranged and dead on with your dope. If I guess within 100 and simply hash hold the 7 rum, boom flop.

Erno86

I do own a custom "safe queen" FN Mauser action with a Douglas barrel, chambered in 338 Winchester Magnum.

Though I'll never forget the time when a shooter had a 338 Rem.Ultra Mag bolt rifle at our range. I forgot whether he had a ported barrel or not...but that rifle sounded really loud, and I believe I suffered a mild headache from the concussion.

The shooter who had the rifle...was definitely not enjoying himself, when he shot it at the range session.

Ben Dover

It's fairly easy to get around the problem of that damnable belt.

When I had my .300 WinMag, I fireformed the brass to the chamber, then neck sized only so that the rounds headspaced on the shoulder rather than the damnable belt.

I had a machine shop make me a neck sizing die from a chamber cast and I sized cases with an arbor press.

Of course, if one has a jewelers' lathe, one can always turn the belts for uniformity.

But to me, the easiest is just to get a .300 RUM or PRC to begin with.

Or better yet, a .30-06.:)

105kw

If you want a 338RUM, ammo is available on GunBroker.
You are going to have to reload eventually, it isn't cheap.

reynolds357

It's fairly easy to get around the problem of that damnable belt.

When I had my .300 WinMag, I fireformed the brass to the chamber, then neck sized only so that the rounds headspaced on the shoulder rather than the damnable belt.

I had a machine shop make me a neck sizing die from a chamber cast and I sized cases with an arbor press.

Of course, if one has a jewelers' lathe, one can always turn the belts for uniformity.

But to me, the easiest is just to get a .300 RUM or PRC to begin with.

Or better yet, a .30-06.:)
The belt is no problem. You can neck size or not. Full length is no problem. I have loaded and shot many thousand belted rounds. The only time a belt can be aggravating is trying to switch brass between rifles without using a collet body die.

Geezerbiker

I've help a friend reload for his .338 Win mag and I've seen the cases crack around the belt after a few reloads. I suppose it's not as much as an issue and I'm making it out to be and neck sizing would likely give improved case life.

As we all know a new rifle is not a need it's a want. I've had a nice '06 for over 30 years and I'm getting the hankering for a magnum. I don't need it but I'm pretty sure I want it but I wanted to kick around some ideas way in advance of buying one.

My friend's .338 WM has a muzzle brake on it and it recoils like a .308. It also doesn't seem to hurt accuracy. Anyway lot's to think about and consider.

Thanx guys for all your input...

Tony

reynolds357

I've help a friend reload for his .338 Win mag and I've seen the cases crack around the belt after a few reloads. I suppose it's not as much as an issue and I'm making it out to be and neck sizing would likely give improved case life.

As we all know a new rifle is not a need it's a want. I've had a nice '06 for over 30 years and I'm getting the hankering for a magnum. I don't need it but I'm pretty sure I want it but I wanted to kick around some ideas way in advance of buying one.

My friend's .338 WM has a muzzle brake on it and it recoils like a .308. It also doesn't seem to hurt accuracy. Anyway lot's to think about and consider.

Thanx guys for all your input...

Tony
Separation at the belt comes from overworking the brass. (Sizing it much smaller than needed for a particular chamber) Junk brass also contributes to the problem. You almost never see it in a weatherby using weatherby (norma) brass. You see it a lot using Rem/Win brass.

Ben Dover

Separation at the belt comes from overworking the brass. (Sizing it much smaller than needed for a particular chamber) Junk brass also contributes to the problem. You almost never see it in a weatherby using weatherby (norma) brass. You see it a lot using Rem/Win brass.
The other reason is inconsistent belt width, causing inconsistent headspacing.

I've miked belts on WW and Rem brass and found as much as .006 difference in belt width.

Neck sizing usually cures the problem.

std7mag

There is always the Dakota line of magnums (essentially a RUM).
Or the short magnums. WSM, RSAUM

I've been shooting 7mm Rem Mag for some years now. No problem with the belt.
Unfortunately my rifles accuracy nodes tend towards the max powder charge side.
I get 5-6 reloads on a case, and the primer pocket gets loose.

I shoot on avareage 300 rounds of 7mm Rem Mag per year. Not something your really likely to do with the 338 RUM.

44 AMP

Staff
If you want it, and your bills get paid, the kids have shoes and enough to eat, then BUY IT!

None of us are getting any younger. The RUM rounds, the WSM rounds and numerous others over time have waxed and waned in popularity. Once the novelty of "new" wears off, some people start proclaiming they are dying or already dead.

If one's standard is "I gots to be able to buy ammo everywhere for the price of dinner at McDonalds" you should avoid a lot of cartridges.

Many good and even a few great cartridge designs have faded into obscurity over the years, but none of them is completely gone and gone for good, if you're willing to pay enough and put out the effort.

Doesn't matter WHAT it is, or what anyone else thinks is "practical". Buy it, check it out then you know, for yourself. If you like it and you're worried about future availability of ammo, stock up on ammo or at least brass. It won't get any more common or cheaper than it is today, most likely.

If you've got the funds, and the desire, don't pass up a Shelby Mustang just because someone else tells you a Honda Civic will get you around just as good.

As to headspacing on the belt its the same as headspacing on the rim. A tiny narrow rim, but a rim. Don't blame flaws due to manufacturers quality on the design concept. And since the RUM doesn't have a belt, its off topic, anyway. :D