32's

ligonierbill

"I'll have that .32, Bob." Don't ask why, but I am developing a shooter's interest in the "32 bore", all of them. My "always" gun is a P32, and my brother recently dug out an old break top .32 S&W. I load everything but .32, and I'm about to change that.

I'll take care of the loading, but I'm looking for experience and opinions on the multitude of old and new 32's out there, pistols and revolvers. Seen and liked the Walther PP and PPK, the 1903 Colt, and I notice a fair number of CZ-70's out there. Lots of interesting revolvers, especially old ones in .32 S&W Long. Regards modern versions, I know there are some Ruger single actions out there, although the only revolver now carried on their website is a GP-100 in .327 Federal. They no longer list the SP-101 in that caliber. Not sure I want to fool with that one anyway - I have plenty of powerful handguns. Just looking for interesting shooters. What say ye?

I've just about got all the 32's covered myself ( except for the newer 327 )

32-20 is surprisingly powerful for an antique cartridge... I have a black powder conversion revolver, & a Contender barrel ( contender barrel uses a .308 barrel, so they require different loading dies, & 30 caliber rifle bullets )

I have an air weight J frame in 32 H&R magnum ( they go to a 6 chamber cylinder in the 32 ) that's a very nice gun...

FIL collected old Czech guns, which I now have, several models chambered the 32 ACP, & I've collected a rack of old revolvers single action & double action, in 32 S&W & 32 S&W Long... the snubbies are cool, as are the guns built on the larger 38 frames that hold 6 & 7 rounds...

I have tons of pics already on the forum, but if you wanted to see something in particular... ;)

also several 32 caliber rifles... err well 8 mm anyway :)

Last edited:

Herr Walther

Pre-war and war time Zella Mehlis manufactured, and post war Manurhin made, and roll marked Walther PP series pistols are among the finest 7.65mm handguns ever manufactured.

The American versions, eh, not so much.

Manurhin manufactured the PP series until 1986. Walther took over production at Ulm after that time. The PP series was discontinued in Germany all together in 1998 or '99 IIRC.

dahermit

I had a S&W model 31, four inch barrel in .32 S&W Long. A wonderful little gun, really a joy to shoot double-action. I hand loaded and cast bullets for it. I rue the day I had to sell it to help finance grad school.

Anything chambered for .327 Federal magnum will also shoot a variety of lesss potent (i.e. more user-friendly) .32 rounds. I grabbed a Taurus snubby from CDNN awhile back for that very reason -- versatility.

dajowi

I've got a P-32 which I carry alot. My wife has a S&W .32 1903 HE which we're going to sell since it really isn't useful. One .32 is enough for me.

glenncal1

Count me in a .32 fan also. On the revolver side, if you can find a SW .32-20 target you will have one of the funnest (and accurate) revolvers ever made IMHO. The SW K32 (.32 long) has a cult like following and corresponding price. The SW 16-4 which has a full underlug and is Chambered in .32H&R is another great shooting gun and can be easily and safely converted to .327 magnum.

I don't own as many .32 pistols, but the colt 1903 is a blast to shoot and just looks too cool.

JohnMoses

I can't understand why the 32 isn't more popular. When I cleaned the 27 yard gongs with my Kel tec 32, my buddy couldn't believe it. My wife has pretty much claimed my Taurus 3" for her own (pink grips) and shoots my 'standard' pressure 32 H&R handload as her practice load. One day I was in the pawn shop looking at a Ruger single 6 in 32 H&R. It didn't have a tag, so I knew he just got it. He said 'I'll make you an offer you can't refuse'. I said ' I doubt it, I don't care much for single actions'. When he said $250 OTD, it turned out he was right. I can load my 32 H&R brass with the same load as a 327 and the Ruger and Taurus handle them just fine. That little Ruger is the size of a 22 with a big bark!

sheepman

The P 32 is my all ways gun, front pocket with billfold. My father liked the 32 calibers, 30 luger, 30 mouser and 32-20 were all guns he had fond memory's of. The 32 is more gun than some think, look what a 22lr can do.

The older I get the less I like recoil (hands hurt), still like the 45 but not hot loads. I don't even know the Kel Tec is there where the 45 is heavy after a few hours (getting old sucks). :D

Onward Allusion

I'm a huge fan of the 32 in general. I have handguns in every chambering .32S&W, .32S&W L, .32H&R Mag, .32APC, .327 Fed Mag. One thing I love about the .327 revolver is that it can shoot all of the preceding cartridges.

My "always" gun is a P32. Would I want it as a nightstand gun? No way. Nor would I want it in my get home bag. However, it is always with me so that I am not unarmed at any time.

PawPaw

When my wife was getting her CCW, she was using my Airweight, but told me to keep my eyes open for a good, clean .32 for her use. She told me that her father had always carried a .32 Colt and always liked shooting that revolver. I started looking around, and after several months, found a good, clean, Pocket Positive. After taking it down (yeah, I know, we're not supposed to do that), cleaning everything, and making sure it was tight, I let her have at it.

32Colt+01.jpg

She raved about it. It fits her hand (which is very tiny) perfectly, and she shoots it fairly well. It's also like the revolver her dad had, which is lost to time. She's thrilled with the little revolver and I've got my Airweight back.

Did you know that Buffalo Bore is making SD ammo for the .32 SW Long?
In order to make this cartridge meaningful for self defense, we designed hard cast (not soft) bullets that will not deform on impact and will maintain their flat nose profile as they penetrate through muscle and bone and because of their flat nose, they crush (not slip and slide) through mammalian tissues, doing considerable damage along their path. We alloy and lube these bullets properly so they will NOT substantially lead foul any normal barrel. Then we added velocity by using modern powders that will give extra velocity and remain within the SAAMI pressure limits of 15,000 PSI. The result is a fairly lethal cartridge that brings new usefulness to millions of these old pistols. Depending on how much clothing must be penetrated and how much bone is encountered, expect 17 to 23 inches of straight line penetration in mammalian tissue with this load
I think that's very cool, and that's the ammo that my lady is carrying in her Pocket Positive.

A few months ago I picked up this Colt Police Positive in .32 Long.

406077753.jpg

Still haven't had time to shoot it, and have been looking for a replacement left grip panel as the one I have has a nasty chip out of it.

If I can't find one I'll probably patch it with some epoxy until I can find one.

I don't have a picture of my Police Positive Special in .32-20, or my K frame in .32-20...

PSP

I can't understand why the 32 isn't more popular

I believe the .32 is very popular. If we could poll all folks that carry, I bet a very respectable percentage would be in .32 acp.

I'm a fan too. In all the years I've carried, a .32 probably has more days than the other calibers. I've enjoyed the little Seecamp for a long time.

The Walther PP is nice, but I prefer the Sig P232. They are almost identical in size. That sexy Sig is perhaps my favorite .32.

Perhaps the most fun, and biggest, I've owned is the CZ83. The large size and weight make this a soft shooter.

A Llama Especial fills out my .32 collection. A well made, high quality gun with tiny useless sights. Why do they do that?

I still lust for a Walther PPK in .32. Maybe someday.

artoo

EEEYUP!

Love the .32s. The .32 ACP: Beretta Tomcat, Taurus 732, NAA Guardian, CZ83, Taurus PT132.

.327 Federal magnum: Ruger GP-100, Ruger SP-101, Taurus 327.
.32H&R magnum: NEF and H&R has it covered.

The Longs are great practice rounds as well.:)

SaxonPig

Not long ago I got the urge to have a 32-20 revolver. Don't ask me why. I have no idea. It happens.

I saw many for sale but I thought the prices were ridiculous. Really, $600 for a 60% S&W or a Colt Police Positive Special from 1925?

I also noticed that a large number of 32-20s suffered from bulged barrels. Others have noted this this and there are several explanations I have heard. I don't know. But buyers be aware and check the barrel on any 32-20.

After some looking a fellow member on another forum sent me an ad for a large dealer. He had this Colt Army Special (predecessor to the Official Police) in 32-20 with a shortened barrel. Gee, I wonder why someone chopped off the barrel on this 32-20? Anyway, unlike most sellers, this dealer realized a modified gun has less value and it was priced at $159. It was perfect for my purposes and I bagged it. It came with some really cheesy aftermarket stocks so I swapped on a set repro hard rubber handles. Not sure if they are actually period correct but they were only $15 and I think they look right at home on the old Colt.

BTW- The revolver dates to 1934. This is beyond when the Army Special was discontinued but I have read that a number of ASs in 32-20 are known to have been shipped beyond the end date. Must have been a slow seller and they used up guns in inventory.

The large frame Colt with the 3" barrel actually looks OK. I have dubbed it a "Detective Special on Steroids."

standard.jpg

Not long after acquiring the Colt, I saw this S&W 32-20 on Gunbroker. The starting price was $250 and nobody else bid. A bit odd with the 6.5" barrel (no bulging) and round butt but it seems to work fine. It was made before they started tempering the cylinders so I will avoid hot rod loads. I really see no need for hot loads in this caliber, anyway. Both guns are just for fun. The stocks are from the 1950s but I don't care for the old service style wood that would be correct. Also, I realize that S&W didn't call the 32-20s M&Ps. But c'mon, that's what they are.

standard.jpg

Faulkner

My grandfather carried one of these two .32's in the 30's, 40's, and 50's all the time as a construction foreman in Memphis. My grandmother passed them on to me before she passed on . . . they both still shoot great.

99440676.jpg