327 Magnum

rclark

I just never seen a need for the .327. I suspect a lot of shooters think the same way. I do have a .327, a Single Seven, but it only gets .32 H&R Magnum cartridges (reloads) just like all my .32 H&R Magnum revolvers. To me the .32 caliber is my 'reloadable' .22. In that vain I load the .32 H&R Magnum cartridges to .22LR velocities (chronograph helps here). If it wasn't for .22LR becoming really scarce a few years ago now, I probably wouldn't even have any 32s. So it goes... Need more power for a task, pick up a .357 or .44 or .45.

2wheelwander

Subscribing. The round always intrigued me. Finding ammo near me is like rattlesnake feathers. Better luck finding .380 or 44-40.

Never shot the round but as stated above, kinda like a .41 magnum. My impression is it is a niche chambering. Though I do want to hear others impressions.

LOLBELL

It’s a near perfect loading for me. I can down load it as cheap or cheaper during hard times than 22s. I can load up with 130 grainers at 1200-1300 FPS and use on Alabama whitetails. I have a couple of Single Sevens, a couple of Blackhawks, a GP100, a SP101 and Henry. Most of my shooting done is with a 327FM. It’s my everyday plinker, my carry piece, and my meat getter.

ThomasT

For certain some single-sixes were made 32-20/32 H&R.
I sort of doubt it. My Single Six 32 mag cylinder measures 1.406" and the 32-20 round overall length is shown to be 1.592". That would mean the bullet of the 32-20 round would stick out of the front of the cylinder.

WyMark

I have a 3" SP-101 in .327 that I carry now and then, but it's not much fun to shoot. I think maybe a 6" GP100 would be ok, but just way too much muzzle blast from the 3". .32 S&W Long is fun though, almost like shooting .22lr. I want to try .32 H&R in it but after 4 years I've still yet to find it anywhere, but it's not like I'm constantly searching either. For a while I really wanted a Henry BBS carbine in .327, but if I'd gone ahead it would just be gathering dust now anyway. But I would still kinda like one anyway, just a little brother for my .38/.357 Henry, really.

Onward Allusion

I wonder if it's possible to get 10 rounds of 327 in a N-Frame or Taurus' large frame? Would make a decent house gun if it had a 4 or 5 inch barrel.

turkeestalker

For a while I really wanted a Henry BBS carbine in .327, but if I'd gone ahead it would just be gathering dust now anyway.

Mine is doing exactly that.
Love the rifle especially with the Skinner peep on it, just don't really find a lot of practical use for it.
My EDC is .327 in a 3" more often than not.

rc

There was a thread recently on another forum regarding the follies of trying to reload 22 rimfire ammo. The results were to say the least horrible. Now a 32 caliber revolver and carbine??? Easy! The only hard part is finding primers at a reasonable cost!!! I agree the 32 magnum loaded hot to around 1250fps is a much more pleasant all around loading than the factory loaded 327. 115 grain cast bullets are about perfect for the chambering. For reloaders who cast, this caliber is about as fun as any other. I'm not usually a long barrel revolver guy but the single seven with a 7 inch barrel or 16 inch henry is what I believe would be best as a field gun where the chambering should excell. A 4 inch GP100 is not the ideal platform for the cartridge.

dgludwig

Taurus recently introduced another .327 Magnum (s/s) revolver to the market. If they ever offer it with a 3" barrel and a spurless hammer, I'd be first in line.

Cosmodragoon

There was a thread recently on another forum regarding the follies of trying to reload 22 rimfire ammo. The results were to say the least horrible. Now a 32 caliber revolver and carbine??? Easy! The only hard part is finding primers at a reasonable cost!!! I agree the 32 magnum loaded hot to around 1250fps is a much more pleasant all around loading than the factory loaded 327. 115 grain cast bullets are about perfect for the chambering. For reloaders who cast, this caliber is about as fun as any other. I'm not usually a long barrel revolver guy but the single seven with a 7 inch barrel or 16 inch henry is what I believe would be best as a field gun where the chambering should excell. A 4 inch GP100 is not the ideal platform for the cartridge.
It all depends. Even just with factory loads, the lighter 85-grain Hydra-Shoks or American Eagles work well in the LCR. The heavier factory loads have been fine in either the 4" or 6" revolvers.

I still haven't put much use on the rifle. I got it late and haven't been shooting as much since things got crazy. I mostly just do some drills or plinking with my carry guns as needed.

Adventurer 2

I own several 327 pistols. Big fan. But if i weren't a reloader with stocked supplies i might not be a big fan -- i never see 327 ammo on the shelves and the SW Longs and HR Mag ammo is pricey when they are on the shelves.

rodfac

I'm with Rclark on this...my .32's are a delight for plinking and non-self defense trail use. I handoad for my own, using Starline .32 Mag H&R brass to .22 LR speed levels.

For economy, at pre-Covid/Biden insanity levels; 3 cents for a primer, a penny for powder (231, BE et. al.) and virtually zero cost for my wheel weight 100 gr LSWC's, those .32's cost 1/2 of current .22 LR prices.

As to the bigger, read: hotter, .327 round, I've got .357/.41/.44 magnums for any high speed need and with a heavier slug to do the work. No need for another round with that level of blast.

The real beauty/usefulness of guns in .32 Long & .32 H&R are their size in IMHO. Had S&W elected to produce the Model 16 without that needless full length underlug, they'd have had a better match up vs. Ruger's wonderful Single Six...the short one with the 4-5/8" bbl.... as a superb camp, trail revolver. Those Rugers are a joy to tote along on any trip afield and their accuracy is outstanding (truth be told, the Smith M-16 fires equally good groups). The heavy Smith M-16, just a bit too much weight for my tastes.

Here's a cpl of mine.....32 H&R....I don't really need more....Rod

Last edited:

TruthTellers

Is this another bash .327 thread because in the 15 years it's been around it hasn't had more guns made in the caliber than .357 has the past 85 years or the ammo doesn't cost less than .357 does?

Look, the .32 caliber has an uphill battle because the industry doesn't support it and because of that people assume it's a dead caliber when in reality it's got some merits and is the most unappreciated handgun caliber.

No, the .32 is not dead, it takes time to build a base when so few companies make guns for it, however with Taurus and Charter getting into the mix with revolvers we may beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel where .32 and .327 Magnum can come out from under the bus. Just the fact Taurus is now making a .327 for under $350 is going to make a huge difference getting it into people's hands to "try it out."

Ammo for any caliber not 9mm, .40, or .45 has been a pain to get for over a year now.

jetinteriorguy

If Ruger would ever wise up and make a 3” LCRX in .327 I’d love to grab one. Or better yet an SP101 that holds six rounds. Or let’s get crazy and make it a GP100 3” holding 7rounds without any underlug like a security six. But, you know what they say about wishes.

dgludwig said:
Taurus recently introduced another .327 Magnum (s/s) revolver to the market. If they ever offer it with a 3" barrel and a spurless hammer, I'd be first in line.

TruthTellers said:
No, the .32 is not dead, it takes time to build a base when so few companies make guns for it, however with Taurus and Charter getting into the mix with revolvers we may beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel where .32 and .327 Magnum can come out from under the bus.
The statements above make it appear that Taurus has only recently discovered the .327 Federal Magnum cartridge. I have a .327 Magnum by Taurus that I bought something like ten or twelve years ago. It's kind of a piece of junk, and it took a LOT of work to make it fire more than one shot per day, but it is .327 Federal Magnum, and it was made by Taurus.

SBH

A few years ago I had a Single 7 but let it go. I would like to try another one but Ruger is more concerned about plastic slide action guns. Got a answer to an Email saying it might be 2023 before any Single 7s are made. I have been a Ruger buyer since 1973 and have bought more than one, but the stuff that is being made today I find is not the best. A few have gone back only to return with the same problem. The 327 is a great cartridge.

stinkeypete

The problem is a Ruger single action will last 100 years or more. The marketing money is all into “John Wick” or “zombie apocalypse” style shooting and that’s where they can make the most profit.

That and convincing Glocksters that now they need single stack thin guns, never mind last year when you needed 29 in the paw and one in the chamber.