327 Magnum

deerslayer303

Good question. It never really took off. I thought it was a great chambering to have in a revolver. Not to mention the versatility to fire the rest of the rimmed 32 cal cartridges as well.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Armybrat

Glad I stocked up before the pandemic hit, as the ammo is scarcer than a fiscal conservative in the federal government.
Several manufacturers make the guns still.

I have two Ruger .327 handguns, a Single Seven and an SP101, and am thinking about getting a Henry carbine lever gun to go with them.

stinkeypete

.327 is mostly “owned” by Ruger. i think the finest examples are the “single 7” series of single action field revolvers and LCR snub nosed revolvers. Charter Arms makes a .327 snub.

I have a Ruger .32 H&R magnum single six, which I have loaded to “Ruger Only” levels. It’s a fantastic field pistol. Note: 32 H& R is hobbled by its initial intended use in some pretty flimsy cheap revolvers.

Here is the problem with .327 Fed Mag-
-Supersonic, it’s too darned loud for polite plinking!
- It will never be an ethical deer hunting round and more than you need for raccoons, woodchucks, or coyotes.
-It has more muzzle blast and recoil than the smaller of us like in a very small pistol.
-the high pressure round is said to be fussy to reload for extreme accuracy, while loading down to .32 pressures results in tales of extreme accuracy. .32 is a tack driver.

Here is what is great about it-
- Everyone always wants “more” and with .327 you have that. Then you can shoot .32 H&R or .32 Long and say, with eyes open in surprise, “dang, these are fun to shoot!”

- You don’t worry about your “Ruger Only” loads blowing up your gun.

- It’s not a .22, .357 or .44 or .45. You can argue all you want, but the only thing people seem to invent as ‘new’ are supersonic, loud, fireball generating cartridges that strive in vain to “beat” the awesome 4 standards.

- You can think of it as a reloadable .22. It’s tiny and doesn’t eat much powder when handloaded to a delightful 900fps cast bullets load.

Last edited:

Armybrat

Yeah, I’ve heard the 100 grain AE magnum is especially ear-piercing. Am half deaf already, but will wear ear buds under my Howard Leights when I do finally get to shoot them some.
I did also buy 300rounds of .32 S&W to do a little plinkin’

stinkeypete

Throws his hands up in disgust at the Model 16 with .327 and .32 H&R cylinders.
That’s like a .357 with an additional .38 special cylinder. Why? Why?

The cool kids want a 32-20 optional cylinder!

gwpercle

I don't know ...It was a decent round with decent ballistics , a modernized 32-20 without the thin brass .
Some times there is just no making sense of what is popular ... Maybe it suffers the same fate as the 41 Magnum ... No Respect ... The Rodney Dangerfield Complex !
I was reading about Ruger bring back Marlin's Lever Action Rifle ... which caliber sells best ...45-70 ! How many years has that old thing been kicking around ...at least 100+ years and it's still popular .
I will admit if I were to buy a new revolver today it would be 38 special or 357 magnum just too good a cartridge to ignore .

I think the 41 Magnum and 327 Magnum will be forever Niche calibers whose owners dearly love and cling too . I been a 41 Magnum fan since 1975 and will not part with my S&W model 58 !
Gary

ballardw

Some Ruger Blackhawks and Vaqueros were made with .32-20 cylinders though I think the other was more often .32 H&R Mag.

Sevens

Well I can’t tell if you’re joking or serious, but I’ll bet I know why he’s got two cylinders. It’s because the 16-4 is a quite collectible and valuable model, and most folks don’t want to alter the originality of the cylinder so most often a second cylinder is obtained and altered for .327 Federal Magnum. And quite often the donor cylinder is actually a K-22 cylinder.

And .32-20? No, it’s not really a great idea. I mean it’s fine if you are nostalgic and you love the cartridge, I have no problem with it. But from a K-frame, .32-20 cannot get near the .327 Federal and it’s a helluva lot more difficult to work with.

SHR970

The 327 is essentially a rimmed straight walled 30 Carbine. Niche market at best. The shame is the the 32 H&R was just a modestly hopped up 32 Long made for the weak H&R revolvers just before H&R went out of existence. In a proper firearm like a SSM a 32 H&R cartridge can meet 9mm performance w/o the 357 muzzle blast that a 327 / 30 carbine suffers.

Cosmodragoon

The LCR 327 has been my most-carried firearm for a few years now. It shoots very well for me with the commercial 85-grain loads in .327 Federal. I carry it with the 85-grain Hydra-Shoks. Felt recoil is indistinguishable from average-weight loads in .38+p but the effect on fruit, water jugs, etc. is more like .357 magnum.

People make a big stink about the sound and muzzle blast. There is a little more muzzle blast with stouter loads but I save those for my full-sized revolvers. Otherwise, it's not that bad. It is loud but so are most guns. Ideally, I'll never have to use my gun defensively. If I do, the difference in volume between this or any other gun I carry versus whatever other unknowns will be involved is relatively low on my worry scale. It pales in comparison to the value of having a capable six-shooter that I shoot well riding comfortably in a pocket holster.

"The cool kids want a 32-20 optional cylinder!"

The even cooler kids simply buy a very nice 5" S&W Military & Police in .32-20.

And then add a very nice 6" Police Positive Special, also in .32-20.