327 Mag... What's so special???

Hammer It

Hello
I finally got my Wild Cat Mount back yesterday after a 10 Month wait. I had asked the Taxidermist to mount him in a Full action Pose of attack mode. I will eventually add a large Fox squirrel or Rabbit between his paws when I find the right donor. The Taxidermist shared with me that this was the largest Wild Cat he had ever seen or mounted being 41-1/2" in length, and feels it may very well be a Tennessee State record due to it's size Proportion. He said that he had in the past mounted well over 200 cats from all over the United states, but this one was the biggest that he had ever seen or mounted. He had to order Two-forms to mount him on due to his size. He also commented on his eye color as he said most that he had mounted in the past were more brown in color and these eyes were custom ordered from England as they are of much higher quality than those offered in the United states and they seem to follow you across the room. The Mount adjusts up or down by taking down Two 1/2" Nuts located under the base, and there is Two 3/8" steel rods inside the Mold to stiffen the Pose. He will reside in our living room on a custom built corner shelf

BobCat023.jpg

BobCat022.jpg

BobCat018.jpg

BobCat015.jpg

BobCat002.jpg

rc

I've seen some students that look like that when they show up to class.... High and ready for a fight:D

rodfac

Hammer It.....Great writing and a thorough treatise on the .32 in its various iterations, especially the .327. I've cut and pasted your several posts into one document and saved it to my reloading files for future reference. Nice work, padnuh.

I've done some experimental shooting with the .32-20 in rifle and hand gun, as well as .32 Long, short, and .32 H&R, all of which eventually shot well, and the .32-20 exceptionally well. I do like the .32......and your new toy from Bowen looks intriguing...

The rifle is a Winchester 92 with the longer barrel, tang sighted and accurate (1-1/2" gps.) to the at 50 yd line. The revolvers include a 4th model Hand Ejector S&W, a cpl of Colt Police Positives and a S&W Model 16-something or other...the .32 H&R one. All are fun to tinker with.

Again, Hammer, many thanks for a fine series of posts.

To the original poster...probably no need for this in-between cartridge as the .38 Special +P, or a lightly loaded .357 Magnum does as well, all things considered, and are much easier to feed if you're limited to factory ammunition. It is and probably will continue to be a "gun crank's" caliber.

HTH's Rodfac

Sevens

Very cool and very nicely done... but it's odd for me to see it in this pose -- because I've seen your pictures so many times over the past year, I'm so very used to seeing him on the scale, on the tailgate of the truck and laying prone in a "just kilt" position.'

I've seen and read your tale so many times that in my load data spreadsheet where I've gathered different loads I might one day use, I've got your load listed along with some text in the comment area of the entry: "Hammer It's cat-killin' load!"

Oh and Jim... he did take a major bong hit. A 90-gr .327 Federal Magnum bong hit! ;)

henryfrapp

WOW, big can of worms here. Alot of good discussion but what I get out of this is carry what you want for what ever reason but practice and be proficient with your piece. A good hit with a 22 beats a miss with a 44.

Hammer It

rodfac Hammer It.....Great writing and a thorough treatise on the .32 in its various iterations, especially the .327. I've cut and pasted your several posts into one document and saved it to my reloading files for future reference. Nice work, padnuh.

I've done some experimental shooting with the .32-20 in rifle and hand gun, as well as .32 Long, short, and .32 H&R, all of which eventually shot well, and the .32-20 exceptionally well. I do like the .32......and your new toy from Bowen looks intriguing...

The rifle is a Winchester 92 with the longer barrel, tang sighted and accurate (1-1/2" gps.) to the at 50 yd line. The revolvers include a 4th model Hand Ejector S&W, a cpl of Colt Police Positives and a S&W Model 16-something or other...the .32 H&R one. All are fun to tinker with.

Again, Hammer, many thanks for a fine series of posts.

To the original poster...probably no need for this in-between cartridge as the .38 Special +P, or a lightly loaded .357 Magnum does as well, all things considered, and are much easier to feed if you're limited to factory ammunition. It is and probably will continue to be a "gun crank's" caliber.

HTH's Rodfac

Hello Rodfac
Thanks for the Kind words I appreciate it. :) The Growth and stimulation of this Cartridge will depend on the consumer demand and the voice of the shooting Public. Speer has Placed a dark cloud over it with their Unwillingness to provide ample amount's of ammo & Bullets for it as well as Federal has making it in a consumer loaded cartridge. I have shot everything currently made commercially for it right now, and can achieve much better results hand rolling it, but with Speer holding back on the availability of the 115 Grain Gold Dot Bullets, it makes it hard, and often impossible for Hunters to put this Cartridge to good use. :mad: I hope in the very near future both tend to be a little less sales control greedy and cooperate in getting their products more available to the shooting guys who are demanding it.:rolleyes:

It is a great Target Load but Really need's to be used in hunting situations more often. Most that shun it either have not fired it, loaded for it, or shot anything other than a Paper Range Target with it. It's velocity can easily exceed that of a .357 Magnum and can do so as accurate or even more accurate than the .357 Magnum depending on the load used. I suspect the Gun manufacturers are reluctant to bring out weapons that fire it due to the ammo availability which is really sad and I can't see why you would develop and introduce a Potent Cartridge such as this that you are not going to offer in mass volumes, that Just makes no sense to me.:confused:

S&W had the right idea and were perhaps 20 Years ahead of their time when they brought out the K-Frame model 16-4 in the .32 H&R Magnum round, but that round never caught on due to it's lower velocity, Many shot it down right out of the starting gate as they tried to compare it to the old stand by .38 Special Cartridge as far as Velocity and Kinetic energy went. If S&W were to build a K-Frame Target sighted revolver chambered in this Hot round, I feel it would sell well and be successful but it seems they are only Interested in offering it in a Light Air-weight J-Frame gun at this point and time with a 3" Barrel, apparently directing it's sales to the daily carry guys or self protection groups, which it is fine at, but it is also a great hunting round to not be under estimated. After Loading it and seeing what it is capable of doing, it really needs to be in a Medium size K- framed gun with at least a 6" Barrel to achieve the accuracy and velocity it deserves.

I have always liked the Inherent accuracy of the .32 round no matter what load it is, they all seem to be super accurate, and Pleasant to shoot, but this Federal .327 Magnum is the Ticket to small Game Hunting. I will have my Hamilton Bowen Model 16-4 revolver that I Killed this Cat along with me this year again in the woods as I Deer hunt and my object of Taking it along is to Bag a Buck Deer with it. I see no problem in doing so as it does not Take a Howitzer or Huge S&W 500 Magnum round to bring down any Deer in the woods, people seem to forget at time's that a Deer are just the wild Version of a Goat being thin skinned it will be easy in my eyes to dump one if Heart shot or if shot through the lungs as this Cat was and did not go 2' from where I shot it at the 35 Yard range that it was Taken...;)

Ted

Is the .327 Mag special? Does a bear crap in the woods. For this old man who has fought Arthritis for 50 some years and very sore hands it is very special. Low recoil? A variety of cartridges to shoot! I have two SP101's and a Taurus snub nose. All are very accurate at a defensive distance. Special. VERY! :cool:

sthomper

To the original poster...probably no need for this in-between cartridge as the .38 Special +P, or a lightly loaded .357 Magnum does as well, all things considered, and are much easier to feed if you're limited to factory ammunition.

i guess if you want 6 round in a snubolver instead of 5 with similar or better ballistics ....is any round beyond a 22 needed if you have enough of them???

if the round is there and one ends up needing a gun..then there is a need.

sthomper

"I don't understand what niche the 327 Mag is supposed to fill."

does it exist??? maybe it is just another offering. 6 shots in a snubbie instead of 5 with better or equvalent ballistics than 32mag 38 38+ etc.

sounds like an adequate niche to me.