327 Federal Magnum ammo

rc

While 32 long will work and shoot Ok, I found the 32 mag a lot more accurate in my 327 GP100. In my 32 mag SP101 the 32 long shoots way more accurate. The long jump in the 327 federal makes 32 long a lot less optimal but yes it will work and so will 32 ACP but accuracy will be poor and extraction problematic. But it is safe to fire 32 ACP in a 327 if that's all you can get.

TruthTellers

The blessing and the curse of .327 Federal Magnum is that revolvers chambered for that round can also fire FOUR other rounds, all of which are at least somewhat less powerful and, therefore, perceptibly less unpleasant to shoot. I winder how many people who own .327 FM handguns never shoot .327 Federal Magnum ammo through them.
I would say about 25% of my shooting with mine is with true .327 and not light loads. The other 75% is a mix between light .327 and .32 Mag and .32 S&W Long.

That's from a 4 inch Sp101, if I had a 2 inch snub, it would be almost entirely .32 Mag, which I would buy a .32 Mag if someone other than Charter made them.

If Ruger would make a .32 Mag in the aluminum LCR or Taurus in their Ultra-Light snub, I would strongly consider those over the .327's.

I do like the ability of more power, but if what people say is true in that .32 Mag revolvers can take a lot more than the 21K PSI, then I would be willing to shoot hot +P .32 Mag, but if doing that means it requires having a steel frame, then it's pretty much a .327 anyway so why not choose that?

The biggest problem with the industry and .327 is the ammo manufacturers are making the same mistake they did with the .41 Mag in that they are just pushing the loads to max power and while it's great and all the cartridges can do that, that doesn't mean that's the best or only application. A .327 load that is loaded to 30-35k PSI would be easier on the shooter whilst still being significantly more powerful than .32 H&R.

Hornady has an 80gr FTX Critical Defense load for both .32 H&R and .327 the specs being H&R getting 1150 from a 4" barrel, the .327 1475 from a 5" barrel. If Hornady would do a "Lite" version of the .327 and load it to around 1300 from that barrel, that would be a nice option for the consumer.

rc

I can push 85 grain XTPs into the 1300s no problem with blue dot in 32 mag from an older SP101. I can push 100 xtps to about 1250fps in the same Ruger without any problem. I find the 327 too ear splitting to be pleasant to shoot from my GP100. My 32 mag loads are warm and the cases don't last a long time but they are fun to use with hearing protection. A factory 327 load is basically like 30 carbine from a pistol.