32 H&R Mag +P Loads?

gwpercle

Hornady shows no data for H110 in the 32 H&R Magnum with either the 85 gr. or 100 gr. XTP bullets ... Perhaps that powder is too slow to work properly with these bullets / case capacity .
I don't see H110 being used untill we get to the 32-20 size case capacity .

Blue Dot and Accurate #7 would seem to be better choices in the 32 H&R Magnum.

Powder shortages suck rocks ... I hate not being able to get the right powders .
Gary

Again, there is data that 74A95 found. I once asked Sierra how powders get selected for testing and listing in load manuals. They told me they don't always include all the powders they might like to try, as some prove not to be available at the scheduled testing period. They have to buy them off the shelf just like you and I do, which is one reason you get different results listed in different books. We don't know what caused them to drop off the list without asking them.

74A95 said:
Or they couldn't get more in the case.

That's a possibility. The density numbers I have suggest a little more would fit, but there is a good bit of lot variation in the bulk density value of most powders, so the powder lot tested may have been bulkier than the database numbers. At the same time, if it behaves as it does in the QuickLOAD and GRT databases, then a small amount raises the pressure significantly, so it could be pressure variation caution, too. Since the OP is getting some, maybe he can tell us what he sees.

jski

Wow guys! Thanks for all those are erudite responses.

So what's the consensus here?
  • Lil'Gun or H110 for the .32 H&R?
  • What if I'm loading for the Ruger LCR?
  • How about the 6 1/2" Blackhawk?
BTW, I do load (for my wife) .22 Hornet using H110 (13 grains) with 30 gr Barnes copper bullets. Excellent load because it's extremely accurate at 100 yards.

From Hodgdon's website:
In addition, Lil’ Gun has many magnum pistol applications and is a superb choice for reloading the 22 Hornet.

Last edited:

rclark

Since you have Lil Gun now and you have some reload data to go off of ... Try it. I'd be interested in your chronograph results. I know what my results were :) .

TX Nimrod

And, you probably won't find data for H110 in that cartridge anywhere else. H110 is simply not well suited to the relatively small case volume of the round.…

What an odd and inaccurate comment. Both Speer and Lyman listed it, both sources showing that powder to give the highest velocities. In his October 2020 Handloader article, Layne Pearce mentions W296 (identical to H110) as his favorite powder for the little .32. The 2018 Pet Loads lists many loads with H110, again giving very high velocities. I guess some folks have a different definition for “well suited”.

44 AMP

Staff
What an odd and inaccurate comment.

I do that, sometimes....:rolleyes:

Always happy to accept correction from someone with newer and better information.

My old books don't show any loads with H110 for the .32 H&R. The only .32 handgun round I'm currently loading is .32ACP, which is, of course a completely different critter....

I've used H110 and W 296 in magnum cartridges, .357 and up. I don't consider it suitable for smaller cases, generally, but not suitable is not exactly the same as not useable.