32 H&R Mag +P Loads?

jski

CAUTION: The following post (or a page linked to) includes or discusses loading data not covered by currently published sources of tested data for this cartridge (QuickLOAD or Gordon's Reloading Tool data is not professionally tested). USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assumes any liability for any damage or injury resulting from the use of this information.

I’m developing 32 H&R +P loads for my Blackhawk with a 6 1/2” barrel. The 2 bullet weights I’m working with are 85 and 100 grains Hornady XTP bullets.

Having reading many 32 H&R reloading articles, I’ve concluded a good load for both is 11 grains of H110. Lil’Gun is also highly recommended but Lil’Gun is unobtainium, so I’ll stick with H110 for now.

Recommendations? Thoughts? Suggestions?

rc

yes, case full of H110 is about right for a hot loaded round for Ruger revolvers. I like to push 115 lead to about 1150 to 1250 sometimes but the lube liked to gum up my pre 327 Federal SP01. You can also use AA4100, Blue Dot and some others to get some pretty good loads with 85 to 100 grain jacketed bullets. 1250 to 1350 with 85gr JHP and blue dot can be made with careful work up. There are some decent loads with 231 also but it's not going to fill your case like the slower powders.

FrankenMauser

.327 Federal.

Lil Gun

It is a small case. Pressure ramps up pretty quickly. Be careful when drawing outside the lines.
You might also have to go to a small rifle primer and work back up.

Sevens

-Please- take this in the spirit in which it is intended.

SAAMI is a fantastic thing and if you consider… it’s a blessing for our industry/hobby/lifestyle. Because of the existence of SAAMI and the willingness for ammo makers and gun makers to be a part of SAAMI and agree to the principles, we have a lot of safe compatibility in everything gun related that we do. We can put some trust in all three groups that by the time the products get in our hands, the ammo and the firearms work very well together.

The .32 H&R Mag +P does not exist. Much like the .380 ACP+P does not exist. Buffalo Bore still markets stuff packaged with such nomenclature, but it’s obnoxious, and it’s disappointing because Buffalo Bore are some professional folks that make fantastic products.

As a handloader, you can absolutely make whatever you choose to make, but when you discuss it in an open forum in this way, neophytes simply won’t understand that you’re talking about something that is outside established industry standards.

Believe me, I know that this rant makes eyes roll. Can’t apologize for it. I’m one of those folks that really believes that words matter. There is a lot of value in using words carefully.

To your specific chase…

There is a guy named Paco Kelly that worked with the .32-20 to some pretty extreme speeds, he may have worked with the .32 H&R Mag also. And the .327 Federal is also something to look at, but be warned that SAAMI max for the .32 H&R Mag is fairly sedate but the .327 Federal is a 45k PSI Max cartridge.

The Blackhawk is an extremely sturdy platform. You can likely move forward until you stick brass if speed is what you’re after. But no matter what you build, it’s never going to be .32 H&R Magnum+P.

stinkeypete

Stevens is sadly correct. Despite all of the careful, thoughtful and responsible hand loaders that understand Paco Kelly, "Ruger Blackhawk Only", "Only in Single 6" and "Only in Smith and Wesson Model 331" there is always that guy that will blow himself up and spoil things for everyone.

https://www.handloadermagazine.com/32-h-r-magnum-pet-loads

Read every word.

Since the OP has a BLACKHAWK, I know he can measure the wall thickness of the cylinders and determine for himself... that Ruger makes an 8 shot Fed Mag Blackhawk.
https://ruger.com/pdf/specs/327-NMBHawk.pdf

Reaming 32 H&R Magnum cylinders to .327 Fed Mag is one option. Doing a little math such that the COL used results in exactly the same case capacity as the .327 load then ... well, you need to be able to do a little math and some sketches.

What a cool revolver. I am a little jealous. It's like putting .410 loads in a 10 gauge goose gun, but cool.

The case length of .32 H&R is 1.075"
The case length of .327 is 1.20"
The difference is 1/8 inch or .125"

Things will depend on measuring where your throats are and if you can seat a bullet to .327 overall length while having adequate clearance before the bullet hits the throat and where you end up crimping on the bullet. If you're have that clearance.. well, you know what to do.

All in all.. I would look into how much it would cost to have the cylinder reamed an extra 1/8 inch and then you can just use... well, you know.

Last edited:

HiBC

To add to what has been said, I'm very happy to have a 32 H+R Adj sight Bisley Ruger Single Six. Six in bbl. Thats the Single Six the 22 LR / 22 WMR comes in.
No doubt it will handle any SAAMI spec or equiv 32 H+R load,Its a Ruger.
But for my purposes a 32 S+W long target wadcutter (Fiocchi) is a delightful performance level.
If I need more than a standard 32 H+R power, I strap on my Lipsey Special 44 SPL. Why mess around?
My point, You have a Blackhawk,You have a durabilty factor. Enjoy!

But my Single Six and some of the 32 H+R light snubbies might do better with standard to mild loads most of the time.

rclark

Thing is, the .32 H&R Magnum has been hot-rodded for years and then vindicated by the introduction of the .327 in the same Single Six revolver. So, for me it meant I didn't have to be ultra concerned about crossing the SAAMI boundary in my Ruger .32s . Don't get me wrong, I do not mean it is ok to load the .32 H&R Magnum up to 1900fps loads for a 115g bullet with a fast burning powder. No No and No. Far from it. What it means is I can easily load up to 1100-1200fps and not worry about it with the right powders which gives me my reloadable .22! Between 21K psi and 45K there is some wiggle room. Looking at my load table, none of the tested loads exceed 1200fps. Most of them that I marked as accurate were around the 1100fps range whether 78gr, 100gr, or 115gr pills. I've never tested with 110 or 296 so can't comment on those powders. I did test one load with Lit Gun under 115gr bullet and my comment in the load table was 'yuck'. The Extreme spread was 164fps. Left off testing that powder. YMMV of course. That said when you start loading you should ALWAYS stick to book/SAAMI loads until your are comfortable with the what/why/how of reloading. And then do your research first. It isn't rocket science, but you do have to use some common sense.

Last edited:

jski

Guys, I intend to use these loads in my Ruger LCR 327 Fed Mag. That has less than a 2” barrel. How will these +P function in the LCR?

Last edited:

zeke

Ruger ss 32 mag with the old 100 speer's jfp, Lil gun got the highest velocity and best accuracy. It also started flame cutting the top strap with 10 rds, and got real squirrelly at the top. The 85 gn xtp got noticeably better accuracy than the 100 gn version, and V V N-110 got better accuracy, slightly less velocity and much less boom than H110 with the 85 gn xtp.

After a short run, stopped searching for the max with the 32 mag, especially after Speer appears to have dropped that specific bullet after changing it's name to gd something or other. Believe there are now several newer bullets made for the newer 32 Fed mag , but have never tried them in the 32 mag.

Can load a 125 gn in small 357 pretty easily.

Last edited:

jski

At the end of the day, what I’m looking for is an accurate, fast load for these Hornady XTP bullets in the RUGER LCR. Oh yeah, lest I forget, I’ve been waiting forever for any of a 1/2 dozen merchants to notify me they have Lil’Gun. So I’m currently limited to H110, Titegroup, and True Blue as candidates for this job.

Last edited:

rclark

I liked True Blue for 100gr and 115g bullets in .32 H&R Mag. You hadn't mentioned that powder on hand :) . Found good loads for 'my' guns with that powder. Plus it meters well into the small case. I personally think it is more 'suitable' for the cartridge than H-110 or Lil Gun, but that's just my feeling.

TX Nimrod

… I’m developing 32 H&R +P loads for my Blackhawk with a 6 1/2” barrel…Guys, I intend to use these loads in my Ruger LCR 327 Fed Mag. That has less than a 2” barrel….

So which is it, BH or LCR? It matters when you ask for “hot” load information.

In almost every case the powder which gives the highest velocity in a long barrel will do the same in a short barrel. But muzzle blast and flash can become an issue especially with powders like H110 and Lil’Gun. I’ve loaded my 30-year-old 4” SP-101 with AA-7 under both Hornady XTPs where it gave very high velocities (1250 fps with the 100s) and good accuracy with less recoil than the slower powders. But these loads are high pressure and while I’ve fired many hundreds through my revolver with long case life, caveat emptor.

stinkeypete

In this case, the reason to not "just shoot .327 Fed Mag" is because the firearm is a Ruger Blackhawk chambered in .32 H&R Magnum, made before .327 existed.

Those who reload and know this format know that there is a progression of straight wall brass made for increasingly powerful cartridges. This is rather similar to .38 Special and .357 Magnum, only more comically so.

32 S&W was made a hair longer to 32 S&W Long which was lengthened to 32 H&R Magnum which was lengthened to .327 Federal Magnum. You can also shoot .32 acp in the same cylinder as its shorter than any of the previous.

In the past, people shot very very high pressure wildcat hotrod loads in the .32 H&R Magnum chambered Single Six. Some problems with mechanical strength were observed where the even number of chambers were too close to the notches for the latching bolt.

That's why the .327 Fed Mag small single action revolver was made a 7 shot revolver and called the Single Seven- to offset the chamber and the notch for the latch.

Ruger also chambered a rare few Blackhawks for .32 H&R Magnum. In terms of strength, these revolvers are much much stronger than any small frame Single Six. The thickness of the cylinder wall in any direction far exceeds the Single 7. Don't take my word for it, measure!

One could take the .32 H&R Magnum .32 H&R magnum to a gunsmith and have the chambers bored 1/8" deeper. These cylinders can handle the length easily. While there, the throats could be measure and honed and all that fancy stuff. It just costs money and time.

In terms of reloading.. the cartridge does not care how long it is, since it head spaces from the rim.

The ignition does not care how long the brass is. The ignition cares about how much volume there is to put the powder in, and the tension on the bullet at the time of ignition.

So long as the internal volume is the same, and the bullet has a good crimp and as well the bullet is not seated against the forcing cone, extra brass length is not relevant.

Okay. But those of us that have shot this stuff mostly have the same impression for the VERY high pressure .327 Fed Mag. Even hot loaded wildcat loads between 32 H&R and .327... Wow are they loud. In a very light handgun, people say "wow, that stings my hand!"

Many of us are delighted by a 100 grain (or maybe a 115 Lyman) cast bullet going about 800 feet per second. Nothing close to 1200 fps or more.

This is not a deer hunting round for revolvers and should not be used for that.

A milder load will wallop pest animals, tin cans and pine cones. No one is volunteering to stand in front of even a ".32 Long" level projectile. They're not paintballs, they will kill ya.

If I were to get a new .32, it would be the Single Seven. One never needs worry or think much about the reloading. So long as the pressure from the recipe is less than .327 Fed Mag maximum, it's not too likely your gun will blow up.

I would not care for a Blackhawk in .32 because they are great big heavy revolvers and it's like shooting .410 shotgun loads out of a battle tank.

When we understand the science behind what is going on, we get beyond "Follow recipe safe, not follow recipe disaster" thinking. We get to "this is my gun, my load. I studied this and it's MY CHOICE. Don't follow me blindly, we're just discussing our experiences."

zeke

In this case, the reason to not "just shoot .327 Fed Mag" is because the firearm is a Ruger Blackhawk chambered in .32 H&R Magnum, made before .327 existed.

"
The OP started with asking about Ruger BH, then changed to Ruger LCR, as per post # 17.
While not sticking with the OP intent, would be inclined to concentrate looking for faster/bulky powder to use with 32 Fed cases. If he is in deed wanting a moderated blast load for 32 Fed mag LCR.

Jim Watson

I knew a Cowboy who bought a "set" of .32H&Rs; Ruger Vaqueritos and the scarce Marlin lever action. You would think he wanted minimum recoil for speed on CAS targets.
But he loaded them to the maximum SASS allows to protect their steel targets, 1000 fps revolver, 1400 fps carbine.