.32 Caliber Revolvers

rlgarman

Ruger Buckeye .32/32/20

I have a Ruger Buckeye convertible that I got new when they came out. It was the first centerfire handgun for me, also the first caliber I reloaded. My wife bought it for me for Christmas. It is very accurate. I put in different springs and polished all the parts in the action, sweet trigger now! I have fired about 2000 rounds but only about 50 of the 32/20. I plan on getting another .32, smaller and lighter someday.

gak

BillCA

BillCA, congrats on joining the H&R Team...you can now never go back! :D Yes, give us a report. I shot a friend's SW when it first came out with a nice CC format (probably your same gun?) but only about 12 rounds through it so no extensive experience with that DA. Ditto a Taurus and SP101, I liked them all, but took a particular liking to the SW.

BillCA

I had intended to run to the range today, however I found my priorities rearranged for me so it didn't happen. :(

JB - The DAO trigger pull is consistent on all six chambers and pretty heavy. I have no way to measure it anywhere near accurately. I suspect that it will smooth out and lighten slightly after firing when the springs have been flexed enough times. Then we'll see about changing anything or smoothing up the action.

In the firing position (trigger back, hammer down) the gun locks up tight as a bank vault on all 6 charge holes. Flash gap is tight, probably at the .003 minimum using the Mk-I eyeball method.

Gak - This is my 2nd .32 H&R. You're right, once bitten it's hard to do without. My previous was a Taurus 731 in polished SS with the ported barrel. Nice gun if somewhat heavy.

An interesting footnote that caught my eye at the shop when I picked it up for the first time.... S&W has cut a relief groove under the trigger guard and another on the backstrap. Probably done to keep the weight down to under 13.5 ounces!

gak

Bill, good report! Congrats on returning to the fold then! Re your Taurus comment, though apples and oranges from these DA/CCW-oriented guns, my Ruger SA SS birdshead also seemed a bit heavy at first for the caliber (but that's the Vaquero world for mostly good and, occasionally, bad) -- but then considering the format, I like it (for its format, again like all Vaqueros) knowing it'll shoot anything stouter than factory (Federal, etc.) loads you can throw at it such as Georgia Arms 100 grain fare w/o even noticing! Keep us posted on range findings!

liliysdad

I wanted a 431PD the first time I saw one. I finally made the plunge and bought one about two months ago. Excellent little gun. I fondled all manners of J-Frames and J-framish Tauri, and this is the one that struck me as the best balance of power, capacity, and weight.

To get a .38 this light, you only get 5 shots, and a lot more recoil. To get a .38 with this level of recoil or capacity, you get a lot more weight. I took the tradeoff for power vs. capacity and weight. I am more than satisified.

This little gun goes literally everywher with me. It lives on my ankle when Im on duty, and in a IWB when Off-duty. The only modification Ive done is swap the Hougue Bantam grips, which I loved, for a set of old school factory walnut grips. The Hogues were nice, but a little too sticky when it comes to a pants leg or t-shirt. I would like to get a set of Baramis for it, for holsterless carry.

I took it to the range Thursday for a bit of plinking with a couple boxes of MagTech 32 S&W Long LRN, and I must say Im impressed. The little gun is surprisingly accurate. I was shooting Oklahoma CLEET regulation silhouettes. These targets have a ~2" stamp in the upper right hand corner. I could literally eat the center out of that seal all day long from 7 yards, which is as far as I see shooting this gun.

All in all, I am ver, very happy with this purchase. Enough so that I am itching for a Smith 4" K-frame .32 for a woods gun. Seems to me it would be the ideal squirrel and critter-getter.

JB in SC

liliysdad,

I've not seen one of the Model 16 .32 H&R Magnum S&W's in a while. Seems like they laid on dealer shelves forever. Evidently some folks came to their senses and bought them up. The last one I saw went for $350.

At 42 ounces for the 4", it's not a lightweight. My FA 97 weighs almost as much, but the weight makes even the heavy loads seem mild in comparison to larger calibers.

Like to see them make a standard barreled 4", configured like the old Combat Masterpiece. Not much hope for that.....

BTW, the Ahrends (not quite as nice as the Spegels) are great for CC. Very low profile and not sticky :)

Best,
JB

liliysdad

A K-32 would be ideal, but we are talking serious coin. A J-frame with adjustable sights and a 3" barrel wouldnt seem like too much to wish for, but again, I dont see it happening.

Maybe I ought to just look for a solid old Hand Ejector or Colt Police Positive in .32. Fixed sights or not, these guns were still accurate.