.308 Rifle for under $500

JesusQueen

To you more knowledgeable folks...

Whats the best rifle in the above caliber for under $500? bolt action preferred but it doesn't matter.

Thanks

Oilburner350

If you are on a budget a Marlin XS7 or a Stevens 200 will fit the bill. Use the left over money for the best scope you can buy within the budget.

jmr40

I'll add the Weatherby Vanguard or Howa to that list. They will run around $400 and the Stevens or Marlin will be in the low $300's. The next step up will be $600+, and I'm not sure you will do any better than any of those unless you get over $1,000

NESHOOTER

cabelas, has a savage 110 scoped (pine ridge)combo with grey laminated stock and the accu-trigger on sale until dec 2. 09 for 469.99 a savings of 130.00 is the upgrade to the stevens and the marlin xl-7 syn stock pro fire trigger 279.00 but the savage is a very good rifle and sound investment...

Catfish25p2000

No doubt... SAVAGE is the best gun on the market for their price range. If you can score one for under $500 you won't be disappointed.

edward hogan

Hit the pawnshops, and be flexible; if you want a deal...

Most rifles aren't shot very often. Not at $1 per round or more the tyro gets bummed with the expense. $500 should get you a nice scoped rifle.

Hard to go wrong with a Rem 700. Even the ADLs will shoot. Probably find one with a Leupold scope for $500-$600 in like-new condition. Look at your state's listings on gunbroker. Do the advanced search, then buy direct and save lots of money....

qwman68

T/C VENTURE 499.99 bolt action 1moa or better from 100 yards or your money back,im sure there is a catch but T/C has always been top notch in my opinion..i dont think anyone else is gonna give you a 1moa garauntee on a 500 dollar rifle, i could be wrong ..

Rob96

A few weeks ago I picked up a Remington 700ADL Varminter in 308. After the Remington rebate and two rebates from Dick's the rifle comes out to $419 before tax.:D

fyimo

Savage, Howa, Weatherby Vanguard are the best in that price range new and in the used rifle catagory you can buy Remington BDL, Browning A Bolt, Winchester Model 70, and Ruger Model 77. On the Modern rifle the barrel isn't even at peak accuracy until around 500 rounds have been through it and few ever even get shot that much. If a rifle is in good shape and appeals to you buying a used one is the way to go. If it has a scope on it they are usually very discounted or nearly free when you buy the rifle plus it already has the rings and mounts even if you don't like the scope.

viking499

You can sometimes find a used CZ for under that price or Tikka. Most used guns will be under 5 bills. New is a different story............

ISC

The answer to this really is determined by what you want the rifle for. If you are looking for a military style semi auto the best bet would probably be a saiga. If you want a long range accuracy rifle then a Savage or Stevens would be near the top of my list.