.308 recoil?

geetarman

I have a Remington 700P, M1A and DPMS LR308. The recoil is not really an issue. I don't have a recoil pad on anything. The 700P is really a great rifle. The recoil is quite manageable. The M1A and LR308 have less felt recoil than the bolt gun. At least that has been my experience. I am sure the heavy barrel on the bolt gun tames the recoil a lot.

Tolerance for recoil varies a lot. Some shooters like the 375 H&H and claim it is not bad. Others develop a flinch shooting a 243. Different strokes....
If you didn't like the 12 gauge, then a .243 would be a good choice. 308 provides less recoil than a 270 or 30-06, and for some is "light recoiling." Any way you cut it, if you want a medium game hunting rifle, there will be some recoil and muzzle blast. No matter what you are shooting, less recoil means less propensity to flinch which means better shooting all around. ;)

zach_

My remington 700 243 spotter barrel, factory plastic stock shooting 100 grain ammo seems to have more recoil than my 700-308 varmint barrel, b&c stock shooting 168 grain ammo. I don't know if is the the overall weight, stock, or recoil pad makes the difference. Those are the only gun of each caliber that I have shot. My 110 lb. daughter shoots either one comfortably off of a bench with a bipod. Off hand would be different. I have never shot either of the rifles off hand.
My ar recoil is minimal shooting from the bench. Off hand is slightly more noticeable.

kcub

Another option is a semi auto in 308 which will soak up a noticeable chunk of that recoil. My SCAR is 8 lbs. and MOA accurate with ammo it likes. There are less expensive options just make sure you get the weight you are looking for, most auto 308s tend to be heavy which only matters if you are going to schlep it more than shoot it.

A friend had a muzzle break installed on his AR10. He said it reduced a lot of the recoil. He sold it before I got the chance to shoot it.
When I go to the range I always shoot the 308 last.I usually shoot 15-17 rounds before I quit. Bolt action Spanish Mauser with 21" barrel and/or Ishapore Enfield long barrel about 29". It been years since I finished a whole box of 20. This after shooting 200 rounds 7.62x39, 20 rounds 220 Swift maybe a box of 243 as well.

wbw

"looks like the OP has flown the coop."

I haven't flown the coop. I've been reading the replies. I appreciate all the input. From the suggestions here I've been looking into the .243. That might be better suited to me than .308.

My use for the gun is just punching paper, no hunting. As I said in the original post, I don't need another gun. But I haven't bought anything for a while and I'm thinking about getting something I don't already have.

Last edited:

stagpanther

"looks like the OP has flown the coop."

I haven't flown the coop. I've been reading the replies. I appreciate all the input. From the suggestions here I've been looking into the .243. That might be better suited to me than .308.

My use for the gun is just punching paper, no hunting. As I said in the original post, I don't need another gun. But I haven't bought anything for a while and I'm thinking about getting something I don't already have.
Welcome back ; )

Given your not going to hunt--I'd definitely look into the 6 to 6.5 mm offerings which will allow you to have fun reaching out with accuracy while keeping down recoil.

Gotta scratch that itch--we understand. ; )

SaxonPig

Impossible to predict recoil effect. Many variables all of which I'm sure have been noted in previous posts.

Like you, I'm a bit recoil sensitive. I find a 30 caliber rifle of medium weight to be tolerable but tiring after a while. Oddly, I think I tolerate my 375 H&H better than I do a 30-06. But then, the Magnum Mauser is a big rifle and weights 3 pounds more than does the typical sporter 30-06. Weight makes a difference. For extended range shooting a recoil pad and even a padded shooting jacket go a long way in helping.

stagpanther

A friend had a muzzle break installed on his AR10. He said it reduced a lot of the recoil. He sold it before I got the chance to shoot it.
When I go to the range I always shoot the 308 last.I usually shoot 15-17 rounds before I quit. Bolt action Spanish Mauser with 21" barrel and/or Ishapore Enfield long barrel about 29". It been years since I finished a whole box of 20. This after shooting 200 rounds 7.62x39, 20 rounds 220 Swift maybe a box of 243 as well.
This thread has inspired me to take my 308 SASS out for a walk ; )

Rancid

I would go with one of the low end bolt-on brakes on a .308. I'm not that big of a guy but I am not recoil shy. I figure if my 06's don't kick there is something wrong with them. Perhaps the worst thing is a 12 gauge on the bench loaded with slugs. I shoot 12 gauge shells at clays and doves quite a bit and they aren't a problem either. I have a friend who weighs around 120 pounds and she shoots a 270 WSM in a light M70 and that thing will literally stomp you into the ground. She doesn't seem to mind. All in the head I guess. :D

Oh wait! Check out the 6.5 Creedmoor. I have one in a standard Vanguard and it is very mild and a great paper puncher to boot.

T. O'Heir

"...My use for the gun is just punching paper..." Buy a heavy barreled target rifle like a Savage M12 Benchrest or Rem M700 Target. Assuming your budget is up to it.
The Remington runs 11.75 pounds. The Savage 12.75. Either plus the weight of the sights. Rifle weigh and stock design is critical.
"...don't need another gun..." Isn't about a need. "I want one." is a reason. snicker.

Kimber84

I'll be honest, I don't like recoil for the simple fact it's just not fun to shoot. That being said I find the .308 to be a nice moderate recoiling rifle that I really enjoy shooting. It never tires me out and I feel I am very accurate with it due to its mild manner.

I like others would consider a 12 ga slug gun to be 2-3x worse to shoot than a .308. I hate sighting in slug guns.

Pathfinder45

I can easily shoot 3 or more boxes of ammo from my 270 Winchester in a target-rich environment. But it is a full sized model 70 Classic Sporter. If it was the Featherweight it might be different. I shot a Savage model 99 in 250 Savage that seemed to have a lot more recoil from the way it was configured for a smaller person than me.
Being around other shooters muzzle brakes makes me avoid both of them. I can't stand them.
A full size and weight, bolt action 308 shouldn't be any worse for recoil than my 270 Winchester.

stagpanther

Shot my 308 SASS for the first time in long time today--there are certain advantages to a heavier gun for sure--I could hardly even feel the recoil--but then again my woods guns are usually 44mag or 300win mag so 308 is sorta tame compared to those two.

ligonierbill

Another slug gun hater here. No hyperbole, I'd much rather shoot my .338 Win Mag than my 870 slugger (well named). It has everything to do with the stock.

For the OP, don't be buffaloed by recoil. If you want to shoot a .308, you will, and you'll enjoy yourself. Get one of those gel pads that fit inside your shirt if the recoil pad on the gun is too stiff. However, if you don't care whether it's a .308 or a .243, then you won't have the motivation and your initial (and natural) aversion to being thumped will put you off it for good. Are you motivated?

Someone mentioned 6.5 mm bullets. I'm a big fan, and the 6.5's have proved themselves in long range shooting. The 6.5 based on the .308 case is, of course, the .260. That might be a better choice, and not only for the reduced recoil.

briandg

The .308 comes in for me at a pretty close match to light to moderate 12 gauge.

You could use any of the .308 based rounds from .243 to 7mm-08 and have varying levels of recoil reduction. Any load you have should probably get a pad if it bothers you. My thought is to choose a 7mm-08, as it has greater versatility, being a better round for heavier game.

Millions of people shoot with .308; don't feel like you have to go as far down as .243. 7-08 is a good reduction of recoil with manly a small loss of power.

kcub

How does 308 recoil compare to 243 recoil?

I have a 243 Savage 99 and I'm thinking about also getting a 308 lever rifle (Savage 99 or BLR which tend to be light) but I don't want recoil to make it no fun as a target shooter.

My 308 experience is limited to semi auto rifles.

Guv

How about a nice 22-250? Plenty of ammo choices, different than what you have, accurate and easy on the shoulder.;)