.308 or .30-06?

Jack O'Conner

bullelkCusterCounty-1-1.jpg

The question may appear valid but its truly touching upon theoretical advantages of one cartridge over another.

FACT: most big game animals are shot within 150 yards or less.

FACT: out to approx 175 yards, there is no discernible difference in performance between 300 Savage, .308, or 30-06.

FACT: Speer's Premium 165 grain bullet will out-penetrate 220 grain Remington core-lockt bullet when fired into wet newspapers at 150 yards.

Mere weight is not as relevant as it was 30 years ago. Bullet design and metallurgy can not be ignored!

Jack

JohnO

Jack, You forgot one thing.

Fact: When hit in the kill zone you outlined the elk won't know what caliber he was shot with. :D

B.C. is a bunch of mahocky to make you buy bullets. It has no relation to reality. They use a perfect bullet, AT sea level, shot at a perfect temp and humidity, out of a weapon that makes the bullet keep a constant velocity and do some crazy math against what an actual bullet does. Check the link its a lot more technical but it's there.

http://stevespages.com/bc.html

But as for .308 and 30-06...same bullet with just a bit more powder. But what makes you feel coolest. Recoil really isn't a factor with the 19.99 limbsaver pad you can stick on it, or put a muzzle brake on it. There's no such thing as over-killing. I personally like the .308, had a 300WM and it gave me bad habits that were hard to break.

phil mcwilliam

I use a 308, but only because out of the 2 calibers listed Sako only made their lever action rifle in 308.
I have mates that shoot 30-06's , and although they may be 10% better in performance ballistically, in the real world of hunting I have never noticed the difference.
When I travelled to Africa a year ago for a plains game safari ,I didnt take my rifle, but was suprised when the guide furnished me with a 308.
The 308 downed Eland & Zebra with one shot kills using 180 grain bullets, no trouble at all. I was surprised that the guide & his friends mainly used 308's for hunting in Africa.
That said, pick the rifle that you are happy with regardless of caliber.
I guess if I was looking at a new bolt action rifle & I didn't already own the 308, I would probably be swayed by the advantages of a 30-06.

youp

+1

That said, pick the rifle that you are happy with regardless of caliber.

Only advantage I can think of is you may be able to get some 308 ammo off the blue hats should SHTF.