.308 Carbine suggestions?

wlkalong

A possible suggestion is a FAL with 16 or 18 inch barrel. I have a DSA FAL Para with 16 inch barrel. The short gas version weighs 8.25 pounds. I have the regular length gas system, so it weighs a little more.

FAL's have excellent ergonomics, low recoil for a .308 (thanks to the adjustable gas system) and can be set up to for a scope or red dot easily. They are extremely reliable and pretty accurate, though a little less then a M1A.

They are a battle tested design, fielded by over 70's countries, all over the world. Bostons Gun Bible ranks the FAL and M1A as the top battle rifles, but that does not include the SCAR- which might take top honors these days, except for the cost. Larry Vickers is also a big fan of the platform.

You can read a lot more about them on the falfiles.

jmr40

He may have specified semi, but he described a bolt action.
By all-purpose I mean capable of deer hunting, defense, bear defense, hogs, rapid fire up close and reasonably good accuracy out to a couple hundred yards or so.
That is what he should be looking at. One of the scout rifles would be about ideal.

allaroundhunter

For defense, I will take a semi over a bolt anytime. For hog hunting, I will take a semi over a bolt anytime. For rapid fire up close, I will take a semi over a bolt anytime.

Within 200 yards, there will not be much of a difference in accuracy between a bolt and a semi. I would also have no problems whitetail hunting with a semi, but either a bolt or a semi would work for that application.

ripnbst

My vote is bump your budget slightly and go AR-10 platform...or go Saiga .308 if you stay under 1k. The AR-10 will likely be more accurate but I think it will also be the heavier of the two.

arizona98tj

A 16" barrel FNAR. 8.13 pounds, four 1913 rails, chrome lined fluted barrel, target crown, 1 MOA or better from the factory. Good consistent trigger. Mine didn't shoot 1 MOA....FNH put a new barrel on it under warranty. Now it does. I have the 20" heavy barrel model and like it. A fast Google search found a 20" model listed for sale by a dealer for $979. They are out there for a fair price.

p loader

I have a SAI SOCOM 16. It's heavy. I'm going to upgrade to a SAGE platform, which will add 4 lbs. While sexy the added weight (vs that of my AR's) make it bulky. Not exactly my "go to" gun if SHTF, regardless of stopping power.

Baba Louie

Centerfire Systems has a VEPR in .308, 16.5" barrel less than $700 (on sale now $599+S/H). One option.
http://centerfiresystems.com/308-6.aspx

SAIGAs version of the VEPR (AK format) can still be found.

Could look for an older Win 100... if older carbine/rifles float yer boat. Or an older used Browning BAR short trac, stalker etc.

I know you specified semi auto, but do not overlook Brownings lever action for woods walking and I guess, home defense if you want/need.

Looking at todays prices, I'm glad I bought mine back when they were cheaper (or the dollar was stronger). None of them are light enough I'd want to lug around and stalk prey all day long (M1A, FAL and an AK variant) and as you know, most bolt actions are a tad bit more accurate, if that's really germaine to you. Not to mention the price of running .308 thru a semi auto (so easy to go thru 20 rds in a flash... cha-ching)

Enjoy your quest Dashunde, hunting for the one you want, and/or rationalizing the one you get, lots of fun.

Dashunde

I came across a imperceptibly used (nary a scuff) DPMS .308 yesterday. It appears nicely made and was priced at $1000.
It’s very similar to Recon.
To make it mine I'd like to swap out the existing fore end and iron sights, essentially turn it into the DPMS Compact Hunter.

In the end though, I'd probably end up spending more converting the used one to my taste than I would if I just bought a Compact Hunter from the start?
Is the 4-rail fore end worth anything in the forums, to off-set the cost?

There is also the slightly longer DPMS Lite Hunter for ~$1200 ready to go (and it appears to be available).

Dr Big Bird PhD

Have you thought about not limiting yourself to a .308? When i was researching AR platforms I originally wanted a cheap versatile semi-auto that I could use for mid size game hunting. Obviously a 5.56 wouldn't work other than rabbits and coyotes, but getting an AR10 was also out of my price range.

Have you thought about settling on a buying a $250 lower for an AR15 and then buying a bison armory 6.8 upper? It would be a 16 inch carbine style weapon with adequate hunting capabilities. Ammunition would be more expensive and you couldn't buy it in bulk, but on the front end the lower and upper would run you under 750 w/o tax. You would need to get iron sights and optics, but that would still run under 1000 unless you were going fancy.

barnbwt

'nuther vote for the FNAR...not really a carbine, though. Most of the rifles mentioned don't seem like carbines either; long/bull barrels, or big, heavy receivers. I was looking for a 308 carbine recently and came to the conclusion that they don't really exist. The closest was the Garand-derived BM59; 19" barrel, folding stock, 20rnd mag, ~8lbs empty. Too bad they're upwards of 2000$ if you can find one. A stripped down (i.e. lightened receiver) M14 with lightweight folding furniture might work, as would a compacted AR10, I guess. But there seems to be little market for a "handy" lightweight carry-carbine in 308.

TCB

Dashunde

not limiting yourself to a .308?

I'm pretty set on it, lots of pluses for me. Its available everywhere and I cant think of anything it wouldnt kill rapidly.

I'm starting to burrow into the DPMS rifles.
I liked what I felt and saw for the money.

HiBC

Advertised weight of my DPMS LR308L is 7.9 lbs.18 in bbl.Nice trigger.Flattop.Carbon fiber free float tube.Has dust cover/fwd assist.Not sure of current price.

jmr40

For defense, I will take a semi over a bolt anytime. For hog hunting, I will take a semi over a bolt anytime. For rapid fire up close, I will take a semi over a bolt anytime.

Within 200 yards, there will not be much of a difference in accuracy between a bolt and a semi. I would also have no problems whitetail hunting with a semi, but either a bolt or a semi would work for that application.

He said lightweight, he can get a bolt gun under 6 lbs scoped within his budget and buy 2 of them under 7 lbs including optics with his budget. He'll have a hard time finding semi that will come in under 10 lbs with optics. Not something to walk around with, which he specified.

As a pure SD rifle a semi is the way to go, but for all around use the bolt still wins. While I don't agree 100% with Coopers scout rifle concept, this is exactly what it was designed for.

Being able to shoot fast is one thing. Being able to shoot fast and hit stuff is another. With as much recoil as a 308 has when compared to a 223 round the controlling factor is getting your sights back on target. I can get off 3 shots with a semi in around 1/2 second compared to 1.8 seconds with a 308 bolt rifle. But that is not aiming at anything. When I have to make hits on a target down range the semi is only slightly faster for 3 shots. Around 3.5 seconds vs 4 seconds for 3 shots that all hit a 9" target at 50 yards.

From everything he has said he wants to do with the gun a 308 bolt carbine with an 18-20" barrel meets his needs better than anything. I have no problems with some using a semi, but they don't make what he is describing in a semi. He is trying to put a square peg in a round hole.

stubbicatt

+1 on the PTR91 carbine. Nicely balanced, easy to use, shoots great. If I were doing this, I'd get a standard length and cut the barrel back to just in front of the front sight base and thread a brake or flash hider on at that point. Longer sight radius and easier to find handguards and what not with the standard length setup. Can do a recessed crown or 11 degree or what have you.

I have obtained some prodigious groupings with my (now ancient) PTR91.

Plus it takes the Hensholdt scope readily, and that is a superb optic.

rugerdawg

I recently acquired a CMMG 16" sst lightweight .308 and have to say I am very pleased with it. It is the lightest .308 I was able to find and it shoots about .75 moa with premium ammo. It comes with a billet upper and lower and their new two -stage trigger.I added a spikes dynacomp to help tame the recoil. I've owned three armalite ar-10's and this will hang with them all day.

BoomieMCT

At or under $1000 is pretty tough but there are some options if you shop around.

PTR-91 (look for the 16"er or the military profile barrel)
Saiga .308
VEPR .308
FNAR (comes in a shorter barrel version)
Browning BAR (just get scope rings with little rails for a red dot)
DPMS Sportical

I've seen the FNAR and PTR at CDNN for good prices.

Dashunde

^ That Bushmaster is pretty close, and the price is ok too.
Are there any issues with taking off the iron front sight?

The Canadians frown on it? I wasnt expecting that...
How do we manage all of the Canadian big game hunting up there?
If the destination is our own AK, do we have any "peaceable journey" deals with them?
Maybe thats another thread for elsewhere.