.308 Carbine suggestions?

Dashunde

Its time to add a all-purpose semi-auto rifle to my collection.
I'm looking for a 16-17" carbine .308 of decent quality at minimal expense (think Glock/CZ persona).
Ideally it would have a accessory rail and able to mount a scope on top and a Burris FastFire at 45 degrees or on on the side for short range.

Basically I'm looking for something like the SA M1A, a AR-10 without the handle or maybe a Remington 750.

By all-purpose I mean capable of deer hunting, defense, bear defense, hogs, rapid fire up close and reasonably good accuracy out to a couple hundred yards or so.

I really dont know much about rifles, I mostly need a shopping list of well known decent quality items that are a good value... Suggestions?

allaroundhunter

It will be hard to find a lightweight and maneuverable .308 carbine. The rifles that have been mentioned all are quite heavy and have longer barrels (with the possible exception of the Rock River).

Last edited:

Patriot86

SIG 716 is pretty small as far as a 308 Carbine....cheap? Depends on how you define cheap.

The PTR-91/HK-G3 clones are a BATTLE RIFLE clone. Not a carbine by any stretch. Much more of a DMR/Target type rifle.

ATW525

The PTR-91/HK-G3 clones are a BATTLE RIFLE clone. Not a carbine by any stretch. Much more of a DMR/Target type rifle.

PTR Industries make quite a few carbine models with 16" barrels.

allaroundhunter

Ruger GSR

I understand getting confused in the longer threads, but seriously, you are poster #7 and you didn't even read enough of the OP to see this?...

Its time to add a all-purpose semi-auto rifle to my collection.

Heck, that is the first sentence of the OP. Try to ready more than just the title of a thread before responding...

roashooter

quote..." I really do not know much about rifles......." kinda gives the clue that other options...other than "SEMI-AUTO".....should/could/would be considered....considering the general doitall aspect of the carbine......but thanks for pointing this out for me...allaroundhunter....cuzIdontread good...

and it is a stretch....to describe a SA M1A...as a carbine...even with the short barrel.....

Last edited:

Dashunde

^ Yea, but not new to rifles in general (born in the woods), just dont know much about what is currently available or what is a good bargin.
I am looking for semi-auto. That bolt isnt far off the mark overall, just looking for rapid fire ability at closer range (hogs, bears, elk, wolves, moose, etc)

I'm trying to stay under $1000 - So any respectable short 308 semi-auto suggestion is appriciated.

Its part of the budget for a extended vacation/drive to Alaska via Yellowstone, NW Idaho, and on up the AlCan during the thawed/warmer season - a 2 year plan is in the works :)

Great suggestions, I didnt know most of those existed, thanks and keep them coming :)

Last edited:

allaroundhunter

and it is a stretch....to describe a SA M1A...as a carbine...even with the short barrel.....

The Socom 16 and Socom II are both part of the M1A line. Having a 16" barrel puts them into the "carbine" category quite easily as far as most people are concerned. I don't know what about it would make you think otherwise?

roashooter

allaround....by your own posting.....SA are too heavy for "carbines"....inspite of what SA says.....otherwise why are you nitpicking?

allaroundhunter

You might be able to find a DPMS Sportical .308 for under $1,000. There really won't be many other .308s at that price range.

I forgot about this one for a second. A Saiga in .308 can be found for less than $1,000 quite regularly.

allaround....buy your own posting.....SA are too heavy for "carbines"....inspite of what SA says

I don't know when I gave a specific weight limit to classify a gun as a "carbine"?

Having shot both Socom II's and AR-10 pattern rifles, the Socom is much more maneuverable. I haven't even looked at Springfield's specifications on this. Numbers on a page mean much less than hands-on experience.

And when I made the comment concerning weight and maneuverability I was specifically referring to the FNAR and PTR-91.

Last edited:

Dashunde

"Carbine", "Ranch Gun", etc... I dont care, so long as its 16-17", the rest is symantics.
I'm open to all of them really, regardless of nomenclature.

Weight is important, I would like to walk with it, but price will play a equally large role.

Departed402

I'm in the same boat you are, same philosophies if use and everything! I ordered a DPMS 308 Recon. It will suit all of your specified needs. I'm getting mine for $1275.00.

Patriot86

Maybe you should rethink a .308 Semi-Auto Carbine for under $1,000.00.
In that price range you would perhaps be better off looking for something in 7.62x39 or saving up until you have a little more cash to drop.

PTR-91 will run you about $1,000.00 but they are by no means light. AK's are not that light either but the ammunition will be much less expensive.

Of the creatures you listed below the only one I am unsure of would be 7.62x39 vs a Bear. I have not and do not know anyone who has had to shoot at bear with an AK or SKS type rifle. Despite what you read; you can hit man sized targets out past 100 yards with an AK style rifle.