$3000 to Spend

onemsumba

I find that I have a lot of time to sit and ponder things as well as surf the net and dream. So if you had $3000 to spend on a rifle what would you buy for:

a) Hunting rifle
b) Bench rest rifle

Or would they be the same?

Oh and this is just for the rifle not the scope or other accessories….
Caliber is less important, make and model is what I am wondering about.

Basically what is the best of the best?

oh and I don't have 3k to spend just dreaming

youp

Savage 7 mm Remington Magnum. Accutrigger, synthetic stock, blind magazine, blued steel. Leupold VX-III 2.5x8 scope. Cost less than $1000. leaving me with $2000+ for a New Foundland woodland caribou hunt. I know it is not what you asked, but it is where my priorities are. An adequate firearm/scope combination and spend the rest going somewhere new. I heard that Newfies are cool people, I would like to hunt with 'em.

onemsumba

caribou hunt

I knew I was going to get that!

I was in Canada in 2004 and had a guide from New Foundland. It was a lot of fun the guide was good and his wife was / is a great cook, but cost a hell of alot more than 2000. Would recomend it to anyone. The airline lost my rifle and I used a borrowed M70 .30-06. loved that rifle too bad about Win.

would do it again tomorrow.

email if you want more information on the guide.

steve

prime8

Winchester?

Whats the news about Winnie? They goin under? Dreaming of Alaska myself. Hunt, Fish, and just sit in nomans land for awhile.. Just saw Bennelli came out w/ a new 300 Winnie Mag... dont know the price though. If you dont mind carrying a cannon all over Hell and Back, I vote for the Armalite AR-30, and a trip to NW colorado/ Montana..

SCcdp

I would buy either a Jarrett Rifles Windwalker .280 Ackley Improved, (but I'd have to come up with another three grand to go with the first), or a Cooper Arms .223

armedtotheteeth

EASY! Armalite Ar-50 for our local skunks. Blow them away, and their stench. Youll even have a bit left over for a few dozen rounds of ammo. Youll need a thousand dollar scope though, and a bipod.

ISUDogger

I'd go for two...

I would buy two very good rifles with quality scopes rather than blow the $3k on one rifle. The first would be Remington 700 VSF .223 (like I just bought). The second would be another heavy barrel (probably Winchester) with larger caliber, maybe one of the new short, fat cartriges.

This way, I can shoot cheaper .223 ammo and then switch over to something a little more exotic.

I am not a big fan of super-fancy guns. My dad likes the real nice stuff - engraved, gold, shiny, etc. I don't have much use for guns that I am afraid to use. They look good and are very cool, but I would prefer two guns that I can use and not worry about. Of course, they would have to be pretty accurate and worthy of future investments in accuracy.

I would also try to sneak ~$150 for another cool knife. I have a small knife fetish.

socom58

I'd go for either a Tikka T3 Tactical in .223 or a Sako TRG-22 in .308 Winchester. Perhaps an Accuracy Intl. Arctic Warfare Super Magnum in .338 Lapua (for some super-long range shooting), though I don't know if that falls under the $3000 limit.

Last edited:

chemist308

$3000 !!!

Cool, but I wouldn't just buy one rifle...I'd want in the following order:
1. A Ruger M77 in 223
2. A Ruger revolver--357 Magnum
3. A CETME or M1A1 depending on how much cash I had left.

And I think that would just about do it for me :)

fisherman66

1 bolt M77 223, 22-250 or 220swift with nice glass 4-16X50

and

a Ruger #1V or #1B Mannlicher style in 308 or 7mm'08 with nice glass in the order of 3-9X40, Timney Trigger, and barrel trimmed back to 18"-20" with a target crown, and barrel harmonizer.

spend the rest on ammo

EDIT>>> Never mind; I want a Sako 308 varmint barrel with both a night vision scope and a day time 3-9X50. I think that might take me close to the $3000

raktrak

$3000

I would buy a Cooper Varmint Extreme in 6.5x284 and a Nightforce scope and enough loading equipment to load for it . Might have a little change left for a nice case.;) ;) ;)

Jseime

Hmmm lets see id buy a remington 700CDL left-hander in 7mm-08 and then with all that money i had left over id get a new set of goodyear wranglers for my chevy truck to wear.

Red Tornado

Something with a 32-36 inch barrel and a tang sight ....hmmmmm .....something that would stop a buffalo....hmmmm....oh yeah, probably a Sharps Quigley 45-70. And reloading stuff if I had some left over. :D
RT

Bigfatts

How about a Les Baer Ultimate Ar Super Match .223 topped with a Leupold Vari-X III 8.5-25x50. Enough to make me druel.