.300 Win Mag?

Bart B.

Well bart, if your 30-338mag shot so good why didn't you bet on it
Because the 30-338 shot better scores overall in other matches at different places. Gale McMillian new that and did not admit it. Had he acknowledged that, I would have bet. Note the USMC teams practised at Quantico and knew the wind conditions better. And all the Army successes at the nationals with 30-338 ammo didn't matter.

Another reason was he refused to take my bet that Win 70 receivers were 2 times stiffer than Rem 700 receivers. Said he didn't want to take my money. Having measured both, it was a sure win for me.

McMillian building 30-338 rifles to compete against his 300's is questionable for valid accuracy comparisons. The Army should not have allowed that. And he is ignorant of (or wont admit) the 300+ fps velocity increase the 30-338 has over the 30-06. Nor the 100 fps difference between 300 and 30-338.

Last edited:

m&p45acp10+1

I got rained out for testing today. The rain did let up, but the water 4 inches deep the entire walk to the 100 yard target boards. So I will see if it is better next weekend. I did manage to pick up a pound of H1000 I loaded up some test loads with 178 grain ELD-Match. I have 3 primer types to test out. Winchester standard. Federal Match, and Federal Magnum.

Last week I tested out 12 with Winchester LR primers, and the same load as the rest. I have no chrono so no readings from that. The groups were the same. POI did not seem to shift. At this point I am the weakest link in the chain.

RC20

Hey, we all tend to be that. One day I can put 10 in a 3/8 hole and the next week its nice to get sub 5/8 x 5.

Ticked I was getting under 1/2 MOA at 240 yards but was only brave enough for 5. I got a range pass there now so I can do the 300 meter range when I feel up to it (brave).

100 meter range has a shed and overhead heaters for winter. Drive is a bit longer but all highway.

I don't do much about primers. I just picked CCI (readily available in the bulk box and the bench rest guys tend to them) and stuck with it.

Roadkill2228

Standard primers will work. Magnum primers will probably work better. If you’re running compressed loads magnum primers will definitely be a better choice. It’s worth noting though that when such cases as the .375 hh, 300 hh, all the original weatherbys based on the hh case, and others, there was no such thing as a magnum primer. There were just primers. The federal 215 large rifle magnum primer was developed specifically in conjunction with the development of the massive .378 weatherby.

T O’heir is mistaken. While very slow burning powder is indeed served well by magnum primer, case volume has everything to do with the reason for magnum primers. Case in point being that the .378 wby uses powders of similar burn rate to what works well in a .270, but there really no need for mag primers in a .270. It’s not about the powder burn rate as much as how much powder you’re setting off.

m&p45acp10+1

I have found another good load using H1000 and Federal Magnum primers,bullets used were Hornady 225 grain BTHP Match. Half MOA at 100 yards. I do not have a chronograph so I do not know velocity.

For primers I will be working on getting some Magnum LR primers. I have CCI BR2 primers I want to save those for my 6.5 CM.