.300 Savage re-chamber to .308 Win

Gunplummer

I do agree with Clark, but I still also believe that the steel and heat treatment there of remained relatively the same. I have never seen in print (Reliable source) what type of steel was used in the receivers. It is possible that when Savage switched to a magazine on the model '99 that the the steel was changed. I never really got involved to any depth with the "C" model. That would make sense as far as reinforcing the area where steel was removed.

mete

So type and HT of the steel doesn't make a difference ?? About 80 years ago they introduced the high velocity 22RF.Colt pistols were marked to indicate pistols designed for the higher pressure load.
Using the older guns with newer ammo wouild reduce the life of the gun. Even a modern pistol using lower pressure standard velocity will last longer than if using the high velocity.
In the 70s there were obvious differences in the "quality " of pistols. My Browning Challenger wouild outlive a High Standard. Don't know the specifics but steel type and HT was obviously the thing that made the difference. BTDT, I am a metallurgist after all !:p

Gunplummer

So, somehow a colt pistol now has something to do with a 99' Savage? I have really heard some wild rumors about guns and ammo over the years, especially from customers. Most of the time it is impossible to track down where rumors start. If I could not find any solid information on something, I usually just blew it off. I think I will start a thread and see how many ridicules rumors are out there.

Clark

I keep buying old Colt handguns, three more yesterday.

The Colt Woodsman and pre woodsman semi auto have recoil springs for standard velocity.

Newer hotter 22 ammo will hammer them.

Clark

JohnKSa

Unless the action starts to yield.

The 6mmBR case head is much stronger than the OP 308 case.
The 308 primer pocket will become loose somewhere between 72kpsi and 78 kpsi [unless it is Lapua Palma small primer pocket brass]

The 6mmBR brass will not give up the primer pocket before the thickest small rifle magnum primer [CCI450] will pierce. That happens somewhere between 80 kpsi and 90k psi.

I have reached that with the 1917 Sav99

That threshold of primer piercing is dependent on the firing pin to firing pin hole fit. GreTan offers a service of bushing the firing pin hole to get that threshold higher.

But I would bet money no one has sent GreTan and old Sav99 bolt to bush:)

JohnKSa

Administrator
Right, I understand. I was responding to your comment that because the modulus of elasticity was the same, all the various 99 action vintages regardless of alloy, heat treat or yield strength would stretch the brass the same.

Your statement is true right up until the load exceeds the yield strength of action. Then there will be a considerable difference in how much the brass is stretched compared to other 99 actions with higher yield strengths. ;)

Clark

The problem with Sav99s, 303 Enfields, and thin walled 357 magnums is that the brass has a lot less elastic deformation range than the steel.... and we get stretched brass.

jackpine

for a hunting gun 300 savage will do all that needs doing and do it well. Ken Waters loves the 300 savage and states that it's the perfect deer rifle cartridge. Leave it be and spend the cash on ammo or reloading supplies

TomL

.300 Savage re-chamber

Hello all, I found a M99, second year production that was re chambered to 308, As mentioned in previous posts..trouble..the seller stated up front it will not feed correctly so it is a single shot for all intents and purposes. TomL

Gunplummer

Odd that Ken Waters name pops up with '99 talk. I made a spare barrel for my take-down in 7-30 Waters and I would have been better off with a 30-30 barrel. What an unimpressive round. No wonder it died out so quickly.