30 super carry

"The word, data, is plural. The word, datum, is singular."

Except when data is used as a collective noun. Then it's singular.

Ah, the joys of smashing Latin words and rules into West Germanic language that has a very strong French overlay...

30 SC is a solution in search of a problem. It does NOTHING better than the cartridges we already have......Check it. It's actually a .32.........Predict it will be dead in couple of years and buried along side the Glock 45 GAP and the 9mm rimmed Federal.

rc

While I admire the cartridge, I'd rather have a more versatile and less expensive to shoot 9mm.

USG

30 SC is a solution in search of a problem. It does NOTHING better than the cartridges we already have......

That could be said of perhaps 85% of all cartridges. What's your point? Tell us your favorite, and I can give you a half dozen reasons the manufacturers should discontinue with it....

.30 SC is actually a dandy round, have been shooting it for about 6 months now, and just started reloading for it now that Hodgdon has published data. But if your only criteria is "does it cost more than 9mm?", then there's nothing I can say.

BTW... Glock 37 in .45 GAP is one of the best pistols ever produced.

Limnophile

"The word, data, is plural. The word, datum, is singular."

Except when data is used as a collective noun. Then it's singular.

Ah, the joys of smashing Latin words and rules into West Germanic language that has a very strong French overlay...

You is wrong about that.

In regard to the .30 SC, I don't see it as a substitute for 9 Luger. While a pistol chambered in .30 SC can have roughly 20% more round capacity in its magazine, and somewhat less recoil, the tissue destruction potential is still greater for the 9 Luger.

The .30 SC is a potentially credible substitute for .380 Auto — 20% greater magazine capacity and greater tissue destruction potential. However, the recoil of .30 SC is greater.

S&W produces the Shield EZ is .380 Auto, .30 SC, and 9 Luger. Genitron.com lists the respective recoil energies as follows:

• .380 Auto — 3.0 ft•lb,
• .30 SC — 4.9 ft•lb (63% greater than .380 Auto), and
• 9 Luger — 5.8 ft•lb (93% greater than .380 Auto, 18% greater than .30 SC).

I'm guessing folks drawn to .380 Auto for its lower recoil will be put off by the recoil of the high pressure .30 SC. People love to carry pocket .380s (e.g., the Ruger LCP and its successors), but hate to shoot them because of their recoil.Thus, I don't see demand brewing for a true .30 SC microcompact (i.e., a pocketable pistol with a bulk no larger than 10 cubic inches) that would have painful recoil.

Last edited:
"You is wrong about that."

Orilly?

"The Associated Press style guide classifies data as a collective noun that takes the singular when treated as a unit but the plural when referring to individual items (e.g., "The data is sound" and "The data have been carefully collected")."

The AP isn't the only one that treat it that way, either.

From Merriam-Webster: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/data

English is full of instances where Latin grammar rules were laid over English rules because of its polyglot nature.

Another favorite is "You can never end a sentence with a preposition!"

Well, in Latin you can't. That's a hard and fast rule.

In English, there is NO such rule. Except in the minds of 90-year-old spinster English teachers who very well may have been on a first name basis with Julius Cesar.

Some years ago I had a young pup of a technical writer rewrite a sentence so that it wouldn't end in a preposition because, well, you know, RULE!!!

Only, his "correction" turned a complex sentence into an absolute abomination. I overruled him, he barked back, so I gave him a challenge -- find an English language style guide, grammar text, etc., in which this is a written rule.

8 years later and I'm still waiting for him to come through.

Wording goodly. It is what I does. Professionally. For over 30 years.

No, left-coast woke elitism would be saying "Grammar rules are inherently racist and a symbol of white patriarchy!"

That said, the .30 Super Carry has been tickling a spot in the back of my mind for some time. So far I've been able to allay the desire to pick one up.

Ruger45LC

I like it, shoots well in the Shield Plus I bought. Ammo can found online for as low as $15/box of FMJ and well.... it's something different than 9mm so that's always a plus.

Limnophile

"You is wrong about that."

That was my way of signaling my understanding of you being grammatically correct. However, as a scientist who had to write — proposals, plans, reports — almost daily, and who had satisfied my university foreign language requirement with three semesters of Latin, I could never abide by "data" being treated as a singular noun.

Aaahh … the joys of QA reviews. As to the not-ending-a-sentence-with-a-preposition "rule," I regard Churchill as purportively having the final say when he informed his reviewer:

“This is the sort of bloody nonsense up with which I will not put.”