30 super carry

458winshooter

Anybody got any info on this new cartridge other than what is on the internet I saw a flyer for a gun store offering the new S&W in it.

74A95

The stuff on the internet is fairly complete. I have one and don't have much to add to the internet info.

TunnelRat

The only issue I see locally is finding ammunition. One store has an entire wall that’s ammunition. On there wall there are probably a dozen or more options for 9mm. There are two options for 30 super carry; standard FMJ from Federal and defensive rounds from I think Remington (which is owned by Federal). If there were more options I might pick one up, but my guess is the store isn’t going to stock more unless they sell more. Kind of a chicken before the egg problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Webleymkv

I've seen the American Eagle FMJ ammo in stock at a couple of Rural King stores for, IIRC, $22.99 per 50-round box (not too bad considering that their 9mm FMJ is running $18-20 per 50 rounds). I have not seen any guns or JHP ammo in the wild, however. Considering how new the cartridge is, the number of different loadings which are supposedly available is pretty good (American Eagle and HST from Federal, Gold Dot from Speer, UMC and HTP from Remington, and Critical Defense from Hornady), but if it's going to succeed I think we need to see more than just a couple of guns chambered for it. I know S&W makes the Shield EZ and Shield Plus in this caliber and I seem to recall that STI was supposed to make something, but those are the only guns I know of.

I think that a duty-sized pistol in this caliber might be interesting. Something the size of a Glock 17, Sig P320 full size, or Beretta 92 should easily be able to hold 20+ rounds in a flush-fit magazine and much more that that depending on how long an extended mag one might be willing to put up with. Also, a longer 4.5-5" barrel might put its ballistics more solidly into 9mm territory.

Jim Watson

High pressure to get .30 Luger velocity out of a straight case means a loud bang and bright flash. A friend said recoil was less than 9mm, but I could not tell a difference in a Shield. Two more shots in the magazine was the only real difference I noted.

mk70ss

I have a S&W Shield EZ in .30SC. The gun/ammo are extremely accurate. A little less recoil than a 9mm, but not enough to matter much.

simonrichter

Not sure if anybody has mentioned it, but I guess it is a point for people living in states where suppressors are legal: While 9mm is usually supersonic, it is still so close to the threshold that it's easy to use a heavier bullet and create a SS load. Guess with .32 SC it wouldn't work that easy... Maybe a niche problem, but still +1 for 9mm, I guess...

74A95

Not sure if anybody has mentioned it, but I guess it is a point for people living in states where suppressors are legal: While 9mm is usually supersonic, it is still so close to the threshold that it's easy to use a heavier bullet and create a SS load. Guess with .32 SC it wouldn't work that easy...

Sure it would. The 30 Super Carry Speer 115 grain load is less than 1100 fps in my EZ Pistol. Heavier bullets would be even slower, and if you're loading your own ammo, any weight could be loaded SS, same as it is with 9mm.

Ruger45LC

I have one, recently picked up a Shield Plus for around $425 new. Haven't shot it yet, hope to this weekend. From what I've seen it's basically a 32 caliber 9mm in terms of recoil and report.

Spats McGee

Administrator
I have one, recently picked up a Shield Plus for around $425 new. Haven't shot it yet, hope to this weekend. From what I've seen it's basically a 32 caliber 9mm in terms of recoil and report.
While I'm not in the market for a 30SC pistol, I'm sure I'm not alone in saying I hope you'll give us a range report.

amd6547

I’d like to see a lightweight, compact little carbine in 30 Super. 10/22 size, or like the keltec CMR 22mag.

amd6547

Well, Ruger just brought out their 5.7 carbine…Blowback.
It operates at 50,000psi. The 30SC operates at 52,000.

platform

Well, Ruger just brought out their 5.7 carbine…Blowback.
It operates at 50,000psi. The 30SC operates at 52,000.
Yes, those are some rifle-like pressures.
I thought .22 TCM was high pressure for a carry gun (38,000 psi) but these are quite something.

One thing that .22TCM and .30 Super carry apparently share -- is very very easy slide racking.
Noticeably easier than 9mm -- that has to make new shooters (or folks with weaker grip strength) more comfortable.

zaitcev

I wish someone made a lightweight 1892 or Marlin lever action in 30SC. The bullets are always blunt-nosed, and you can have a ton on them in the tube! But alas it will never happen.

Cosmodragoon

I wish someone made a lightweight 1892 or Marlin lever action in 30SC. The bullets are always blunt-nosed, and you can have a ton on them in the tube! But alas it will never happen.
Hey, Henry finally made that lever gun in .327 Federal. Just keep emailing. =P

ballardw

.30 SC overall length: 1.169 in
.327 Federal overall length: 1.47 in
So for every 4 .327 cartridges in a magazine tube you could fit 5 .30 SC roughly.

So the Henry .327 carbine with 7 rounds would hold 8 .30 SC and rifle with 10 rounds of .327 would hold 12 .30 SC.