.30 Carbine vs. 7.62x39mm?????

armsmaster270

My uncle was a glider pilot in Europe during WW2 as an officer he was issued a .30 carbine M-1 or M-2. He told me after his first engagement he dropped his carbine next to one of his dead soldiers and took his M-1 rifle it just didn't have the punch. Of course that was with ball ammo.

mav88

7x62...theres more available..and everywhere in the world youll see weapons that can use that round..also alil cheaper..than the .30

I always enjoy reading you folks' comparisons. Every time.

Minis, SKS, MN 44. Good enough for this "conscripted Russian peasant" beginner.
Do svedanya.

NWCP

The little CZ vz58 is just over 6 lbs and is nice and compact. The only problem being over penetration of the 7.62x39 in a home defense situation. For home defense if using a carbine I'd go to my HK USC in .45ACP. Actually I prefer a pistol over a long gun for in home use. Less chance of killing someone other than your intended target due to over penetration.

I've shot an M1 Carbine quite a bit, a shooting buddys. light, handly, reliable, fast pointing. sort of reminded me of a pistol.
I own a Ruger Mini30, a fine rifle but nowhere near as easy handling as the M1 C. but better shooting at any range past 100' or so.
I also own the Marlin Camp guns in 9mm and .45acp, real handy guns the .45acp is my favorite gun.
but I'd have to say that for HD (particularly if you lived aways off the pavement) the M1 C would do a fine job with good ammo.

My great uncle was in the 82nd Airborne during WW II, made all of the combat jumps, and spent considerable time in combat with the unit.

He never really spoke about the war that much, but he did mention one time that after an experience in North Africa he abandoned his carbine and got an M1, which he kept for the rest of the war.

"And how exactly does that make the 7.62 a worse defense round again?"

IT'S A COMMIE ROUND! COMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEE!

Ahem. The prosecution rests on the infaliablity of our case. :D

Little Silas

M1 Carbine Vs. AK47

I had an AK47 for several years and a couple of Carbines before that.
The AK47 just didn't handle for me. It was accurate and reliable but the sights were hard for me to obtain a good picture.
The AK47 just didn't feel right for me. The balance was not what I liked in a small rifle.
Last week I sold the AK47 and bought an old Inland Carbine in nice condition.
The Carbine feels good and is a natural pointer.
Also, it is much lighter with an excellent balance.
The peep sight is perfect for my vision.
The .30 carbine ammunition is much more expensive than the standard Wolf 7.62X.39 though.

Little Silas

.30 Carbine Ballistics

Check your ballistics charts comparing the .30 carbine,
.45 ACP, 9MM, .357 magnum and .44 Magnum.
Pretty interesting when you look at the actual velocities and
energies of the rounds.

Last edited: