.30-30 vs. 6.5x55 out to 150 yards.

John Y Cannuck

I've taken a lot of deer with my little '94 Winchester in 30-30. It's easily a match for the 6.5X55 OUT TO 150 YARDS. For deer in the 200lb class, the 170 Hornady interlock is all you need, you'll never need a premium, unless your pockets are over flowing with money, or you decide to stretch the old girl, and go for Elk or Moose.
I've also taken deer at 300 yards with my 6.5X55, that would have walked if I'd been carrying the 30-30. It's accurate enough, shoots flat enough, and retains energy enough for the longer shots. You may wish to use premium bullets for larger game, or long shots.

The 30-30 in the '94 is not as accurate as the Swede, but from a hunting standpoint, it is accurate enough to 150 Yards. It makes up a lot of ground, by being chambered in the short fast action carbines that typically use the cartridge. They are on target while the typical bolt gun is still in mid swing.

sebago

I would say that out to 150 yds. there's no practical difference between the two. If you already have a .30-30 and are happy with it's accuracy at that range I'd say use it and enjoy, you're not missing a thing (so to speak :) ).

Jseime

either one

at 150 yards you're fine with either cartridge just pick the rifle you feel more comfortable with. no round will be effective if you dont like the feel of the rifle and cant shoot with it