30-30 or 45/70

Which caliber lever gun

• Total voters

ritepath

I'd pick the 35 Remington, it was my first lever action deer rifle of course it was a Marlin (336?) I loved that gun....wish I still had it. But when you're a kid, bolt actions and semi-autos is where it's at.:(

OttoJara

+1 Ritepath, I too have a 336 in .35Rem. I love it and even my 14 yr old and wife have no problems with recoil. :D

roy reali

Danger, Danger, Danger

Shooting at an elk with a .30-30 could pose serious dangers to the hunter. The bullet could ricochet off the animal and cause injury. Using a 300000 super dooper magnum will allow you to shoot and field dress with just one pull of the trigger.

I hope I was able to be helpful.

B.L.E.

Oh, you may just as well get the ultimate elk gun, the .50 BMG. If you use thin jacketed hollow point varmint slugs, there's no need to field dress the animal at all, just get out your garbage bag and pick up smoking pieces of elk meat scattered all over the area where an elk once existed.
Plus, you never know when you might run into a mastadon or need to slay a dragon.

Rob96

You all are making a pretty good sell on the 30-30. I am not considering the 35 mainly due to ammo availability. Not much of it around here. The Guide Gun is at a really good price, $429 NIB. That's what is making it tough.

butta9999

Personally i would go the .38-55 i shot one at the local range a few months ago. It had open sights and what a joy to shoot. No kick at all and plenty of punch, perfect scrub gun.

Yankee Doodle

No brainer. 45-70. There is no such thing as "overkill", and anything you can do with a 30-30, you can do better with a 45-70.
I have both, and the 30-30 has been reduced to being a "safe queen". As a matter of fact, my Ruger #3 in 45-70 is my go to gun for everything from whitetail up. It kicks more and costs a bit more to shoot, but I have never needed a second shot for anything. It dropped a Newfie moose in its tracks. Bigger holes are better holes.

CW-NH-HUNTER

I myself would go with the .45-70, maybe it's because I have one, but I just love the round. Yeah it's not a long range round, but it sure is fun to shoot and with the factory loadings I don't think it kicks bad at all and I only weigh 145lbs. My brother shoots a Rem. 7600 30-06 carbine and after shooting my .45-70 and his 30-06 side by side I find the .45-70 to recoil slightly more, almost unoticable. The .45-70 doesn't really start to kick until you start shooting Garret or Buffalo bore cartridges.

Scorch

I understand the appeal of a lever gun, I was once under the spell of a Winchester 94. Short, light, handy, easy to shoot (stop me if this does not sound like a 45-70). Practicality says choose a 30-06, it made a whole trainload of cartridges obsolete overnight, the 45-70 among them. If you don't beieve this, open up Cartridges Of The World and look at the Obsolete American Cartridges section. But it is a nostalgia thing, it's not a practicality thing.

The 30-30 has a flatter trajectory, more energy, and less recoil than almost any one of the old black powder beasts, the ammo is cheaper, lighter, and the rifles firing it are lighter and required less maintenance than any BP cartridge gun. And, as mentioned above, we tend to forget that the 30-30 really is a high-energy cartridge. And I cannot tell you how many elk were killed with 30-30s every year before elk became bulletproof. Within 150 yds, a 30-30 will harvest any animal on this continent, and has been used to do so (although it may not be a very wise choice for big furry toothy ones).

I believe you will find a 30-30 is the most practical choice. If you do decide to go elk hunting, you will want something that reaches out farther than a 30-30 or 45-70 can, because elk are not tame and they live in really remote places.

Wayward_Son

I love my .45-70 Guide Gun, but for the purposes you stated I think the .30-30 is the better choice. Less expensive ammo means more range time and familiarity with the rifle. Better ballistics if by "ballistics" you mean "bullet drop", which seems to be the common definition in my neck of the woods. Lighter recoil (although the recoil of the low-pressure Trapdoor rounds such as Remington's 405 grain JSP is pretty damn light for a .45-70 given the nice recoil pad that Marlin provides) and possibly less damaged meat (jury is out on this one--.45-70 makes a bigger permanent hole but the lower velocity might damage less surrounding tissue... .30-30 has a smaller permanent hole but might damage more surrounding tissue).

I don't think you can go wrong with either one, but for the specific purposes you stated I think the .30-30 is the right choice.

Otherwise? .45-70 all the way, baby! :D

Rob96

Everyone has offered sound advice, and even with it it still is close. We will see what this weekend brings when I hit the shops.

Ozzieman

I wont get into the “who is better” argument because I would probably loose, but I picked the 45/70 for two reasons,
1. Nostalgia
2. I must be a little sadomasochist, I love shooting big bore guns that have a friendly way of telling you you’re putting a very large bullet down range.
Lets face it, both will do what you want, if price and recoil are a main consideration I would go with the 30-30,,,,, But for me,,, kick me, beat me Oh lovely 45/70.:D

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
I chose .45-70 but only if you can learn to bust off 3 shots accurately in rapid fire on a charging hog... If not the .30/30... I own a .30-30 and know they ruled the plains at one time.
The lever gun is really the best option for dense cover due to reduced length but it also swings to target like an extension of my fists and hits a wee bit harder!:D
Brent

samsmix

I went 30-30. Living in Montana and hunting elk on a regular basis, I can tell you with authority that they are not bullet proof. To hedge your bets though, get a Marlin levergun and load some 170gr partitions up to about 2400fps. Note: This is a safe level in the marlin, but NOT in a win. M-94. On mule deer the new 30-30 leverRevolution fodder should be great. Of course if you keep your shots to 200 yards or so, the WalMart 170gr load will kill all the deer & antelope you could ever want.

Perhaps this year, but certainly by next year, I plan on hunting all my tags with an M-94 30-30 with the standard 170gr factory load. This usually involves 7 or 8 deer, 1 antelope, and 1 elk. I'll let you know how it goes.

Why not the 45-70? IMHO the 30-30 is a better deer rifle. It's easier to connect with due to it's flatter trajectory & lighter recoil, and packs adequate punch.

Zombie Steve

I picked the .45-70 for its ability to be loaded to a few different levels of butt-kickitude.

At Trapdoor velocities, it will be good for just about everything you mention. You do, however, have the option to load a bit hotter for the stronger (lever) actions. If you desire, there's another level above that - get a good falling block action like a Ruger #1.

Man, I love using smokeless powder in old blackpowder cases... How spicy do you want it?