30-30 Lever- Must Have

SaxonPig

I own a number of guns just because I think "I ought to have one of those."

This 94 falls into that category. Got it on Gunbroker about 6-7 years ago for $165.

standard.jpg

Added this a year later. Not a Winchester but it is in 30-30. It has a 16" barrel and is barely legal on overall length. VERY compact.

standard.jpg

tahoe2

was doing some work for an elderly woman who happen to find her late husbands Winchester model 94 wrapped in a box in the basement. She hates guns and insisted I take as payment (I did $150 worth of work). I explained it was worth a bunch more than what I did, said she didn't care, I want it gone, sell it if you want to (A 94 30-30 NO WAY!). I always say deals like this never happen for me; can't say that anymore. pics to come later, off to work.

kayakersteve

I love mine

And with the leverevolution ammo, ballistics are even better than they used to be. It is definately a 200 yard deer gun for me!

TX Hunter

I am mostly a bolt action Man, but a 30 30 Carbine is for sure a must have in any Gun Collection. I love the Sound of a Winchester 94 30 30 when its fired, it is awesome. I have re discovered mine and Its about to be upgraded with some nice optics.

btmj

My wife always wanted a lever gun... She is not a hunter, but she enjoys shooting and plinking. When the time came, she looked at various revolver-cartridge carbines, especially the ones in 44 mag... but in the end, she chose a Marlin 336 in 30-30. She loves the look, she loves the way it shoots, she loves the cartridge.

bazilla

As a kid, all the grownups I knew hunted either with 30-30 or 30-06. And I dreamed about owning one or another. So go figure, as a grownup who can now own whatever he wants, and who has several rifles, none are in 30-06 or 30-30. When the time came to get a lever action, I went with a Marline 1894C in 357, to share the caliber with a couple of revolvers. For a full power 30 caliber, I have rifles in 7.62x51, 308, 7.62x54R and 7.62x39 (I know, not in the same league as the others ballistically and maybe closer to the 30-30).

So I guess I'm the occasional odd duck who, while recognizing the veneration owed the 30-30, just don't feel the need to have to have one.

batmann

I happen to love both the cartridge and my M94 Winchester. I bought mine years ago (it has the checkered walnut) to match my 9422M (also checkered walnut) and found out it is really a great combo of cartridge, action, weight and to top it off, it is still fairly cheap to shoot.
I has become my favorite hunting rifle even though I have to go out of state (I live in IN) to hunt with it.

buffalo

I have alot of rifles but by far my favorites are my Winchester 94 30-30's,i have 6 now,lol. I always liked the Winchester lever guns due to my love of old western movies and history so when i hit 18 the first gun i bought was a 94 and the addiction has only gotten worse. I have 1 that i hunt with mainly and its the best deer/hog gun that i own,i like the Marlin rifles but there's just something about a actual Winchester top eject lever gun that cant be beat in my opinion.

softscrubb

Just put a Marlin .30-03 with Bushnell 3x9-20 scope in jail... I considered buying one on .38/.357 to mirror a few revolver calibers but opted for a more traditional .30-30.

Impulse 101

My Dad got me a Winchester 94AE for christmas when i was 16 in 1986. I still have it and at 150 to 200 meters I'm able to outshoot buddies with more expensive, higher power rifles. I have a Rem model 7 in .308 for deer but I prefer the .30-30. It just feels better. In Wisconsin it's all brush anyway.

SPEMack618

Pop so happened to be in the Pawn Shop to buy me a post-'64 Model 94 on 9/11. He relates of swapping war stories with the propietor of the store for over an hour as an increasing number of people came in and frantically bought ammo and semi-automatic rifles.

I remember justifying my want of a .30/30 to Pop on the grounds that "a man ought to have a thirty-thirty lever gun."

Truly an iconic firearm.

Cary

Another happy 30-30 owner/shooter. Ten years ago I wanted to add another lever gun to the Winchester M94AE in 357 mag that I already had. For what ever reason I decided on a Marlin 336C in 30-30. I'm just a target/plinker shooter and I have had fun with this gun using different bullet powder combinations chasing accuracy and clean shooting. During that time I added bullet casting to my shooting hobby and 75% of the bullets I shoot now in all my guns I cast myself. The 30-30 is a great low pressure cast bullet shooter. I have found the whole casting, reloading, and shooting a very enjoyable hobby.
Get that 30-30.:)
Cary

03Shadowbob

I'm a sucker for lever guns also. Have them in 30/30, 35remington and 22. I had the chance a couple years back to pick one up in 32winchester but didn't pull the trigger on it and have been kicking myself for it ever since.
No safe is complete without one or two or three...

Stevie-Ray

I just got my Winchester 94 in .30-30 a couple years ago from a friend. It's a 1957 with a Williams offset and Weaver K4 atop. I have yet to shoot it.

jaysouth

After losing a lot of sleep thinking about my holy grail rifle and eating baloney for lunch for years, I finally got a custom 25-06 tricked out to my exact specs. After shooting a whitetail at 40 yards and looking at the mess, I went back to 30-30.

My deer stand rifle is a Revelation (Marlin 336 made for Western Auto) .30-30.

My bayou/swamp/boat gun is a H&R topper in 30-30 cut back to 16 1/2 inch barrel and a red dot sight. Year before last, I filled my freezer with 3 cast bullet rounds, 4 last year.

My holy grail rifle is now an EABCO 97D in 30-30. I am trying to save up $2,000 for one speced out exactly like I want it. However, I don't think it will kill more deer any deader than my private label Marlin or H&R Topper.

allaroundhunter

I, like many, shot my first deer with a .30-30. When my grandfather passed this past year I inherited his firearms. Included was this beauty:

steveNChunter

I have never owned a 30-30, but I inherited a early 70's Marlin 336 in .35 rem and I'm the third generation in my family to take deer with it. Its shorter and lighter than my bolt guns so its usually what goes with me to my treestands in wooded areas where there's no long range opportunity. Even after the introduction of all the whiz-bang super-duper ultra mag cartridges, its still hard to beat an old levergun in 30-30 or .35 for most deer hunting scenarios 200 yards and under.