.30-06 Recoil?

ripnbst

Here is something that no one mentioned yet. How are you seated at the bench? I see lots of people sitting like they would if they were eating a meal at a picnic table. Meaning, both legs in front shoulders square to the target and leaning forward at about a 45 over their rifle. Doing this drives all the recoil directly I to a very stiff structure. With no "give" this leaves your shoulder high and dry to take much of the abuse.

Yes the strap on PAST pads are nice. If you want to see if you can handle it without spending money, change your form.

For a right handed shooter***

Start Facing your target.
turn 90 degrees right and step over the sitting bench with your left leg so you are standing straddling the bench or seat facing down the firing line.
Sit down
Now turn your upper body and face down range and shoulder your rifle and fire.

In using this technique when the rifle recoils it will cause your body to twist and allow for more recoil absorption through your whole upper body structure rather than tenderizing your shoulder meat.

Try it, it works. Would be the same only opposite directions for a lefty rifle shooter.

Regolith

I guess everybody is different. I grew up shooting 30-06's with steel butt plates and to me they don't kick much at all.

What kind of rifle were you shooting? I'm betting it was something that weighed quite a bit more than the OP's rifle. The M1917, for instance, weighed between 9 and 11lbs, depending on attachments, which is between 2 1/2 and 4 1/2 lbs heavier than the OP's gun. That extra weight makes a huge difference in felt recoil, I've found.

Ammunition makes a big difference, too. 150 grain loads loaded similar to M1 ball ammunition have a lighter recoil than modern 165 grain loads loaded to 2800 fps, which is what the OP is shooting.

gearchecker

Have you considered a muzzle break?

I know your pain.
I have a Savage model 110 in 30-06 and it was brutal to shoot. I normally shot the 165 or 180 grain Core-lokt ammo, so it's got a pretty stout punch with it.
I talked with my gunsmith, and we decided to put a muzzle break on it.
WOW, what a difference. It's now a pleasure to shoot. I've been told we dropped the recoil down to nearly the same as a 270. This is now my goto rifle for everything short of elk. I have an other bruiser for them.

I was totally amazed how much the difference is with that break on it. It might be something you might want to consider too.

regards,
Gearchecker

sc928porsche

Most people who shoot from a bench have a tendency to lean forward into the rifle. If you scoot in under the rifle to an upright position, then hold the butt snugly in your sholder "pocket", hold your cheek snugly onto the comb of the stock, the rifle will rock you back and your body will absorb the recoil instead of your sholder. My father taught this to me when I was 8 and shooting his M1 garand. I dont have a problem shooting the big magnum rifles because of it, unless of course it is from the prone position. Not much you can do there.

ROGER4314

I'm not a hunter but shot 200 and 600 yard matches for years. Our matches have 56 rounds including sighters and a few times, the 1903A3 sent me home feeling punished. I shoot with a USMC cloth shooting jacket which has a recoil pad on the right shoulder. That helps a lot!

Flash

doofus47

Lot's of good advice here.

If your application doesn't demand 30-06, you can always go "down" to a bevy of smaller calibers such as (but not limited to) 6.5mm, 7x57 or a 270winchester.

If it's making you unhappy, change.

Win73

I have fired my NEF Handi Rifle (also a light rifle) .30-06 at deer nine times (and killed nine deer). I suppose it recoiled but I never felt it in any one of those shots. BTW, I shoot a 150 grain Remington Corelokt.

bamaranger

kicker

The '06 can be a kicker, depending on how its stocked, the fit, and the weight of the rifle and your bullet weight choice. We have (my sis actually) a S$W 1500 in the family that is downright unpleasant with 180's. And I have a CZ Mannlicher that, even hand loaded down with 180's and 200's which it seems to like best, will get your undivided attention.

I'd encourage you stay with 150;s, they will have less recoil, ol' man Newton ya'know. I've had good experience w/ cutting recoil on kickers by getting a premium pad installed like the "Kick-eeze". One on the CZ tamed it down to be tolerable, and another on my short barreled 12ga 3" mag turkey gun helped it as well. Any of the space rubber pads should help. A final option may be to find some of the reduced recoil 'o6 loads commecially, or have a trusted friend work up a reduced load for your rifle. I've done that several times for folks w/ '06 and .270 as well, for beginners.

Do a lot of dryfiring, and limit your bench time. Shooting from field positions seems to reduce the kick, and will make you a better overall shot in the long run.

GeauxTide

This works for me

Sandbag is good, but I got a Past Shoulder Pad. Mahvelous. I try to give any of my 2.5" rounds, 6.5-06, 280, '06, 7mmRM three shots, then rest a couple minutes. With my 2" rounds, 260 and 308, I go five.

45YearsShooting

Post number 24 is good advice; standing more upright at the bench. Adding a muzzle break will make a big difference, but make sure you wear hearing protection, even when hunting.

Or... go shoot at an elk. My 100 pound wife just shot an elk with a 30-06, and she didn't even notice the recoil.

Rifleman1776

My Winchester Ranger (poor mans model 70) in 30-06 works just fine for me. I can shoot it comfortably with most loads. For competition I poured # 7 1/2 shot into a hole I bored in the butt. For hunting I took the shot out.
Here in Arkansas I downloaded slightly for deer hunting. I also have some heavy loads with heavy bullets. Those do get uncomfortable for me to shoot. I'm not very big. So hopefully this will be a good guide for others.

Jack O'Conner

Don't feel bad. 30-06 is too much recoil for me, too. I breifly owned a custom Springfield in 30-06 but half box of ammo convinced me to sell it. I hunt with either my .308 or 30-30 carbine. Or sometimes my .243 rifle. My level of shooting accurasy is directly related to recoil.

Jack