30-06 Kicks too much? BULL ****

Byron Quick

Staff In Memoriam
Recoil is subjective, I reckon. My HK91 has always been easy. My M1A has tried to kick me to death a couple of times...poor technique on my part, I believe.

On the other hand, give me a .300 Win Mag with a deer in the sights...what recoil?

johnwill

That really is funny, because I find my M1 Garand to have less objectionable recoil than the HK-91, and the M14 is a *****cat to me. I had a chance to shoot one of those last summer a couple of times, and it was lots of fun, hardly any recoil at all. I think the major problem with the HK is the shape of the stock, but since it's been turned into some other guns at this point, it's no longer my problem. :D

Zorro

I belive bad Stock design is the source of LOTS of gripes about recoil.

The worst is the "Monte Carlo" type Stock.

I prefer a straight stock with no Remington BDL crap on it.

Weatherby has made some REALLY badly designed stocks too.

Straight Stock with a wide butt plate and a good recoil pad on everything. Even a .223. :)

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Zorro, it's not the Monte Carlo comb, itself. It's the taper on it from front to rear. It should taper so it slides away from your jawbone during recoil. Sliding into your jawbone is what creates the "Serious ouchies".

Any stock which doesn't fit properly will exacerbate any problems with recoil. It's sorta like seats in cars: They're designed for the "85% group" of people. If you're outside that range, well, too bad. That's why I keep hollering about fit and feel when selecting a rifle or shotgun.

Some stockmakers are more equal than others.

:), Art

OkieCruffler

I've got a Mosin 91/30 that I can shoot all day long, but after about 20rds or so thru my M44 my shoulder starts to yell uncle. I think weight has alot more to do with recoil than caliber. Of course my old Marlin 444 weighs plenty and a box of that ammo last me a long while.

Dagny

Zorro,
As you and we all know, any "real man" can handle a .338 or .375 or, if they're not wusses, a .458.
I like my .243 thank you very much.
(yeah, I know it is a .308 lite made for wusses who can't even handle a .308)