3" vs 4" 1911 for carry

ttheel

I have been tossing this very thing around in my mind for the last 2 months. After several hours of research and studying I have decided to go with the 4 inch platform. I am probably going to buy the Kimber Pro Carry II or the Kimber Pro Crimson Carry II. For me, I just think you lose more than you gain by going down to the 3 inch. I am a big guy though, 6 "3 and about 200 lbs. Everybody is different though and you have to decide for yourself.

Last edited:

pinetree

I have a couple 1911's and have spent a lot of time on a dedicated forum. The 3" seem to have more issues. I'd love one but have a Kimber Compact (Officer sized) and don't have an issue carrying it.

hihosilver

Im thinking a 1911 will be my next piece. I am new to 1911's, so I have learned a bit the last few days. I thought all guns longer than 3" barrel had the extended grip. Kimber makes a couple of 4" barrel models with the shorter grip (called compact) and springfield has a 3.5, but im not sure if they have a 4". I carry at 3 oclock, so the shorter grip length is better for me. I have decided to go with the 4" and pass on the 3". I still need to look at STI and a few more manf. I want to make sure I get it right before throwing down a grand or more.

mnhntr

5 inch for me. There is not much difference in the 3 sizes as far concealment and the benefits of the longer barrel are obvious.

orionengnr

I own several 1911 in each barrel length. I carry the alloy framed 3 inchers the most by far. I shoot them accurately enough at any reasonable SD range, and each of mine is absolutely reliable with SD (HP) ammo.

My 5" steel framed 1911s are range toys. My alloy 3 inchers are EDCs.

If I were six inches taller, 50 lbs heavier, 20 years younger and I lived in Michigan instead of Texas, things might be different.

But they are not. :)