3" vs 4" 1911 for carry

GojuBrian

Which do you prefer for carry and why?

I carry at 0ne o'clock and I think a 3" would be easier to carry when I sit down. A 4" might 'dig in'.

Is there a downside to 3" 1911's over the 4" like velocity?
Is the velocity negligible? (did I spell that right?)

Thinking on a 3" 1911........thanks! :)

stephen426

I think the decision would depend on what type of holster you plan to use. For concealability, grip length has more of an impact than slide length. The grip is often what prints, especially when you bend.

Benefits of going with a 4 inch if possible:
- Longer sight radius which improves your ability to aim
- Improved velocity
- There are many people on this forum that do not trust the reliability of micro 1911s. The commander size is fine though.

45Gunner

Will this gun be your only carry gun? BUG?

I carry a Kimber Ultra CDP II as a BUG and it does primary duty when I wear less clothes as I use a Galco IWB holster. I am not fond of IWB carry.

My usual carry gun is a Kimber Stainless Pro Carry with a 4.2" barrel. This is a very comfortable and easily concealable gun. I wear it with a pancake holster or even a shoulder rig, depending upon how I'm dressed and what I am doing.

There is very little difference in concealment between the 3" and 4". The truth be known, I find it very easy to conceal a 5" 1911. However, I am 6'2" and weigh in at an athletic 230 lbs. For the average to above average individual, full sized 1911 carry should not be a problem. If your build is slight, indeed you will find the small gun more suited to concealability.

Regardless of what you select, as has been advised numerous time in this Forum, a good holster and belt are the key to comfort. The choice of gun becomes a matter of personal preference but the holster and belt becomes of prime importance once that decision has been made.

J.Netto

There is very little difference in concealment between the 3" and 4". The truth be known, I find it very easy to conceal a 5" 1911

I agree - For me personally, the 5" 1911 is the only size I want to carry. I've never tried a 3 or 4 ". I honestly have never felt the need to. Maybe some day.

But now when it comes to other guns like Glocks, I actually prefer compact or sub compact sizes.

moredes15

There's not much difference between a 4"-5" gun, but there's a big difference between a 3-4" gun. For most self-defense situations, either the 4 or 5" will do; very little is lost by the way of sight radius, and some folks find that the weight sacrificed for the 4" version's carry comforts is a desirable option. There are damn few 4" guns that weigh so much as to be uncomfortable, and the 4" barrel doesn't normally pose any problems standing or sitting. It shouldn't 'dig in'--the barrel shouldn't point at the body no matter the holster design or barrel length, and whatever part of the frame/hammer/grip saftey does dig in will dig in no matter the size 1911 you choose.

The 3" really chops the sight radius down, and velocity is minimal. Most guys still use hollow point SD rounds in this length, but in reality, hardball ammo will probably get the same results because expansion is minimal at 3" velocities.The only reason I'd carry a 3" would be as a BUG so I could use "common" magazines.

3" IWB can be problematic if the holster isn't designed well. Most holster makers incorporate "wings" on their IWB 3" holsters to stop the weight of the ammo-loaded grip from tipping the gun over the belt. Then again, some don't use wings, but I've not heard about their performance.

Lastly, as someone mentioned, there is a high percentage of folks who don't trust 3"ers because of reliability problems. Hell, a few Baer owners complain about reliability with the 4" Comanche series because of Baer design-flaw -caused problems.

Officer's Match

I like 3" 1911's but am only comfortable using 185gr (at the most) ammo due to velocity concerns. I much prefer the 4" and up for that reason, plus the aforementioned stability issues for IWB carry (because I am more of a 4 o'clock guy - if I had to carry 1 o'clock the 3" would be the logical choice).

pogo2

Appendix carry

If you are carrying at 1:00, which is just right of your navel, there is no question that the 3 inch barrel is preferable to the 4 inch. I have some experience carrying a small Kahr with 3 inch barrel at the 2 o'clock position, and it comes close to digging into my thigh when I sit down. A 4 inch barrel will definitely dig into the thigh of most people.

Another factor is the grip length, as most 3 inch 1911s have the Officer's length grip, while most 4 inchers have the standard government length grip. A gun carried at the appendix position is usually in vertical orientation and not canted, so the grip is more likely to stick out and print on the cover garment with the longer grip.

GojuBrian

Based on most of the responses I think i'll go with a 4" and change my carry position. Now on to which one....... :eek:

dec41971

Both my two ccw are 3". 1911 and Walther PPS. You know what? I am just as accurate with both as I am with my full size range gun. And at SD distances, you better believe the .45 will absolutely stop. Heck even a 9mm will stop. Hollow points > ball ammo even at 3". You don't loose a whole lot honestly. At 850fps those rounds will do serious damage. If you believe otherwise, would you please volunteer to be pinged in the leg?:eek:

GojuBrian

The following is from http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/45auto.html for comparison of the 3" .45acp to 4" .45acp.

Cor Bon
165 gr.
JHP +P Cor Bon
185 gr.
JHP +P Cor Bon
200 gr.
JHP +P Cor Bon
230 gr.
JHP +P Cor Bon
185 gr.
DPX +P Federal
165 gr.
FJ Expanding
low recoil Federal
165 gr.
Hydra-Shok
JHP
low recoil Federal
185 gr.
Hi-Shok
JHP Federal
230 gr.
Hi-Shok
JHP Federal
230 gr.
Hydra-Shok
JHP

4" 1163 1109 1042 983 1060 1087 964 946 814 865
3" 1050 999 934 893 967 991 870 867 758 787

Looks like about a 100fps average loss for most rounds when using the 3" , but some are still at 1000fps or over in a .45 :eek: That's nothing to sneeze at.

I think I still like the 4" because of the grip length.

Huevos

If concealment is your issue, I'd look more at holsters than guns. That being said, I'd still love to have a Kimber Series I Ultra Carry as a BUG. My main side arm would still be a full size frame....

yotesmoker

no holster

I've carried a 5" colt 1911 without any holster for the last 45 years.I keep it just behind my right hip.The only time I've used a holster was on duty.Never had a problem in civies.

gogriz91

Depending on how you dress I'd recommend either center of the back or your 5 o'clock. I've got a natural curve and flab right there the holster can nestle in to. It's never really comfortable but it's less uncomfortable than appendix carrying. The only real place where I've got to wiggle around is in the car, I've got to get the holster situated after I buckle in. My next major non gun purchase is going to be a Milt Sparks VMII for IWB carry but there are a lot of quality holsters out there.

michael t

I carry my Defender a lot and find it relieable and easy to conceal . I carry with 185+P DPX and have never had problem one . At what I consider SD distance 15 yds max the 3 inch performs fine . My other carry is a Dan Wesson , when dress allows for a larger pistol I don't like a 4 or 5 inch IWB

Emerson

The primary consideration for any gun that is to be used in self-defense is RELIABILITY, not comfort, looks or ease of concealment.

The 3" guns have a reputation for not being extremely reliable, which has been my experience with the 4 that I have owned.

Which is why I carry a 5" 1911.

GojuBrian

My main issue right now is with the grip length. I'm going to try out some 3", but I"ll bet the grip length is too short.

I can't find the precise measurements of the grip lengths between the two. :confused:

Stevie-Ray

My main issue right now is with the grip length. I'm going to try out some 3", but I"ll bet the grip length is too short.
I seriously doubt it. My rather meaty hands find the handle perfect, as long as there is ample grips. (Replaced my stocks with smooooth wood grippers)

Kimber Ultra CDP is my primary EDC. It's carried in complete comfort in a Don Hume JIT slide OWB, at ~3:30. I've not found a single reason to change.