3 inch 18 pellet #2 buck 20 gauge load...

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
I found the only 20 gauge buck at pass pro for $8 for 5 but they are 3 inch...

Can someone experieneced do the math for me on what the payload weight of this load is...

I normally shoot 2 3/4"

Brent

MattShlock

15 pellets per ounce. So, 1.2 ounce load. It is about as devastating a load in 20 ga. as you'll get. 2-3/4" #3 Buck in 20 ga. is the common one...

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
I didn't want the 3 inch but that was all Bass Pro had... I have a "medi-port" in the right side of my chest so I worry (until I speak to the doc) I may dislodge the tube and hype end in my vein/artery if the recoil was excessive...

I fired one round and it wasn't as bad as I thought hope i get a pass from the doc as these look better for deer than the 2 3/4 #3 buck i am used to...

Brent

SHR970

Do you reload for the 20? If so, there is some older published Herc. / Alliant data for 20 ga. 2 3/4" loads using (12) #1 Buck (1 1/8 oz.) @ 1275 fps. or (18) #4 Buck (7/8 oz.) @ 1220 fps.

Chowder

Having assisted in many "port-a-cath" placement this is something I never considered. A lot of our patients are military retirees and shooting enthusiasts. I wonder if the docs I work with take that into consideration during placement. Of course sometimes there is very little wiggle room on where it can be placed depending on reasons for needing one.

MattShlock

Hogdogs! Please be careful -- u r making me nervous. Maybe change how you shoot!!!

Attachments

• Steadi Stock.jpg
    Steadi Stock.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 31

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Chowder,
The docs never asked me about shooting and I forgot about it until after I woke up seeing the "port end" was right beside the "gun pocket" in my shoulder... The tubing seems to be clear of the gun butt I just don't know what amount of shock wave inside would dislodge the needle end from artery or vein...

Brent

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Improvise, adapt and overcome... I can't do as much as I could but I cannot give up on shooting and huntin'...

I already decided to drop the coin on a nice shoulder pad and put the nicer recoil pads on my guns...

I actually intend to get a gas powered centerfire rifle for deer season too...

I am hardheaded but will try to take steps to mitigate the risk the best I can...

Just ain't gonna let this cancer and chemo stop my life while I live it...:D

Brent

MattShlock

No, you need to go on with what you can but you can't do something dumb, sorry, that's gonna hurt you or worse.

I'm really emotional about this situation. You take care of yourself man!

shortwave

Brent,

Thinkin out of the box a bit...if Fla. deer hunting laws allow and if your style of hunting could be adapted to using a bow...have you thought about using a crossbow instead of a shotgun/rifle?

My brother just had neck surgery and on the advice of his Dr. will be doing this during our deer shotgun season.

Stay strong.
Many prayers out to ya.

Last edited:

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Naw I am too clumsy and noisy when trying to sneak around with a skinny rifle or gun...

Crossbow totin' would have me lookin' like a blaze orange dancer doin' the waltz with a shrub...

Brent

shortwave

LOL!

Just a thought.

Sorry...don't have any info. on using any buckshot for for deer as it's 'slug only' here in Ohio.

FWIW, have you checked on any of the reduced recoil buckshot loads? Again, I don't have any deer hunting experience with them just SD training but maybe someone who does can pipe in on the pro's/con's.

Last edited:

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
I hunt deer with slugs... These buckshot were last ditch effort to have some buck on hand for HD...

Got enuff 2 3/4 slugs for deer season and I may end up with a .30-06 auto loader for this season too...:D

Brent

BigJimP

Why not get a used MEC loader ....and load something less abusive...geez man, makes my shoulder hurt just thinking about it.... :confused:

Maybe you could ask one of your buddies, if you bought everything you need to reload ....could you use his press to load up some shells. For " OO" buck in a 20ga, I'd just count out the pellets ...and drop them in by hand...vs using the press to dispense the pellets...but 3/4 oz or 7/8 oz ought to be plenty at 1200 fps....and easy to do by reloading in a 20ga....( and probably 30 - 40% less recoil than what you bought ...)....:D

We don't want this part of the forum to be a "double memorial"....??? :(

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
BJP, I used to be a bit questioning of my ability to do this without reloading thing without mistakes...

Now I get what my momma calls "Chemo Brain" which is related to all the meds...

I would never feel comfortable doing it now...:eek: As it is, I take such radical steps to concentrate just to do some shooting (with no one around), I feel it actually wears me down a bit...

Brent

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
It is a remington gas semi... and it will get one of these fancy pads to put against my sissy pad on my shoulder...:eek:

Should get pretty soft shots with that combo...

Brent

BigJimP

Since its a gas gun ( I thought you would be shooting a pump ).....just add 8 oz of weight under the forend and 8 oz inside the stock and you'll be ok...or at least better off than without it ... ( as a note: ....put a piece of tape on side of receiver before you put any weight into the gun - and determine the balance point...and then check the balance point again, after you add the weight ....and move the weight fore and aft...so you don't change the balance point)....

I add a full lb of weight to my Benelli Super Sport semi-auto by doing this...so I get better swing characteristics out of the gun ...vs its normal 7.2 lbs in a 12ga 30" barrel...getting it up to around 8.2 lbs is way better for me.

or trade the shells to someone ..for something else...!! ...and good luck on all these health issues.../ and don't be foolish !! ....:D

MattShlock

Big;
A shooting partner of ours did the same thing. Bought one of those nice newfangled Benellis for Trap and found he had to weight it down...