.270 Win - Load Testing for Moose/Deer Hunting

jimbob86

Any 130 or 140 grain bullet out of a .270 will kill Bullwinkle with no fuss.

I've seen a 130gr Winchester Silvertip (the old one) disintegrate in impact with a 1 1/2 yo whitetail ..... left a large shallow wound. It killed him, but a similar wound on a moose? I would not bet on it...... so "any 130 (or 140) bullet" wouldn't fly with me.

I'd bet on a 150 gr bonded bullet of some sort. Moose are very large (large boiler room)and the ranges likely to be very short considering the .270 WIN's reach..... 3moa would be adequate, but I'd go with a bonded bullet if it shot better.

Picher

Yesterday, I received some 140 grain Bonded Ballistic Tips that will be tested soon. I also have some 150 grain Nosler Partitions and 150 grain Speer Grand Slams that will also be considered. I also have some Barnes 140 grain bullets and loaded rounds that would also do the trick.

Saturday, there's a gun show nearby and I plan to get some new .270 cases and a few other supplies. Nothing left to chance, at least in the ammo department.

JP

hooligan1

Those Accubonds and Partitions and Sierra Gamekings in 150 is what Id try.
I have a load developed for my .270 win and 150 grn ABLR's, with Magpro powder that would proba ly get the nod for moose with no trouble..

I'll keep you posted.
Ok.

BTW 270 is OK for use on a Elk. Wounded they won't charge their hunter. Moose?
Maybe consider trading in a couple of those 270s you have in on a new 300 Win Mag and be happy ever after in your'e hunting whatever.
When it comes to harvesting a old Bull moose. "The BIGGER the cartridge the better."

Picher

Tried both Hornady 140 Interlocks and Nosler 140 Bonded BTs, using the same seater setting. The Hornadys shot fine, but the Noslers wouldn't eject without rapping the bolt handle near the top of it's stroke with a hammer handle. Primers on the Nosler rounds were cratered, but not severely flattened and there was no ejector hole stamp on the rims. The load was 47.5 grains of Reloder 22, over CCI Magnum primers.

I'm wondering whether the ogive on the Noslers caused them to be too close to the lands, thus increasing pressure, or whether the BTs had a stiffer jacket.

JP

Picher

Success: New load consisting of 140 grain Nosler Accubond, 56.3 grains Reloder 22 and CCI 200 primers is fantastic! Three shot group 0.6" (clean barrel for the first shot). (The second and third were 0.2" center to center.) Velocity was 2,836 Ave.

Guess I can trust that load. Second rifle did 0.8". Zeroed both rifles (one for fair and the other for foul weather). Ready for the hunt!

Now we just need to compute the trajectory, then find a fine bull moose!

hooligan1

Picher, take all your info and go to Vortex Optics.com, check out the lrpc part, program everything in and bang theres your info. I found it super easy and accurate..

Picher

Thanks Hooligan. I checked it out, but ended up going back to another program that I've used before because it was easier for me to use.

We spent a few days this week scouting for moose, but it was too warm and they weren't out during the day. Still, we found good, fresh sign of browse and good-sized Bull tracks. They weren't responding to our calls, either.

The weather reports indicate that temps will be in the high seventies or low eighties for the hunt next week. I'll let you folks know what happens.

Paul B.

Probably too late to help on your upcoming hunt but I use two loads for my .270. The 150 gr. Sierra Game King for deer and antelope size game and the 150 gr. Nosler partition for elk. I would not worry on the latter load for moose should I ever get a chance at one.
I won't give the powder charge as the powder I use has been discontinued for a bit over ten years or so. I just happen to have plenty so I use it. Load is in once fired Winchester brass and WLR primer delivering a velocity in the 2880 FPS range. Nice thing is the same charge works for both bullets and both loads average .75" If I mix and match they seldom if ever exceed 1.5". I sight in at 3" high at 100 yards and just go hunting.
Truth be told, I could just go with the 150 gr. Nosler Partition for everything and not look back. It just plain works.
Paul B.

ocharry

hey Picher,,,sounds like you have your load worked up and you are ready to go

GOOD LUCK,,,hope you get a nice size eater,,,be safe and dont over do it,,,let that big rugged boy do the heavy lifting

ocharry

Picher

Ocharry: Thanks for the good wishes. Yesterday, we bought a used 24 cu-ft chest freezer to take with us. Weather is supposed to be in the 80's the first day, so need to get meat cooled off quickly after quartering. So far, we've spent over $3,000 on equipment, not including son's new Tundra. That moose, should we get one, won't be bargain meat, but the experience of sharing with son and grandson will be worth every penny.

Picher

Results: Opening Day...A nice 860 lb. bull, shot at 290 yards, using my .270 Win, Bonded Ballistic Tips, as it was walking across a haul road. After the shot, it only went 15 yards into a cut and we were able to pull it out with the truck. I was sitting on my hunting stool and only had about 10 seconds to make the shot in the remnants of the early morning fog. Shot went into the lungs and did a fantastic job!

We saw three cows before this bull. We were hunting in the North Maine Woods territory, about 30 miles north of the "Golden Road". Several bulls were grunting and three cows came out in the fog before this bull crossed the haul road. (Picture to follow.)

Last edited:

Picher

That's a nice animal. It's especially satisfying that all your preliminary work paid off so well.
Thanks Ricklin and others. We did a lot of scouting several days ahead of the season, before going up again a couple of days ahead and finding the spot along an old haul road where signs were best, but we hadn't seen any moose before this day, nor did any animals answer our calls.

It was tough being on-stand with empty guns, waiting for a bull when we heard so much thrashing and chomping within a hundred yards or so. I wasn't nervous or extremely excited but determined to make a good shot while sitting on my stool and bracing my left elbow on my knee. I was rock-steady and, in my mind, can still see the crosshairs and feel the trigger squeeze, then recoil, see the moose hump up at the hit and hear the whump.

This was my first (and last) moose, but it probably couldn't get any better for me.

ocharry

hey Picher,,,nice goin,,, man that is a nice one,,,good eating there for sure

congrates for sure too

ocharry