.270 vs. .30-06

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Hemi, once again it depends on your intent. To some extent, if you have some particular cartridge, you just don't need another one. If you have an '06, what's the .280 gonna do particularly different or better? Or, generally for most folks, vice versa?

My focus is on hunting. I've killed several deer and coyotes that I only could make the shot because I was "married up" with one rifle that I'd carried for over ten years (at that time; over 30, now).

A guy who's only used one particular rifle throughout decades can probably do very well, even with an "inadequate" cartridge--his "miss factor" is very low.

If one can afford it, the "fun" part of the whole shooting game is to work out one's own comparisons--even though a lot of it all is merely academic.

But ain't most of life about havin' fun?

:D, Art

Kirk Keller

Jim Keenan

It was my understanding that Jack O'Conner used both rifles for distinctly different game animals and that his preference for an all-around was the 30-06. I have a mag at home that discusses his life and loves. I'll check the facts and get back to this thread this evening.

ronin308

Art- While we're talkin' about it: Tell all about your .30-06 that you love so much. I've been curious to hear the make, model, scopes you've used on it, barrel length, and even a little history on it.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Oleg, they're just about peas in a pod for ballistics. Well, close, anyway.

Ronin, I had wanted a 26" barrelled '06, to take advantage of the slight overbore capacity of the case. I figured that with 51,000 psi to 53,000 psi handloads, I could just about equal a .300 WinMag with the typical 24" barrel.

I ran across a Weatherby catalog which showed what they call a "#2 profile" barrel; I could get a Mark V with it in .30-'06. "Aha!," sez me. (This was back in 1970 or 1971.)

I horse-traded into a Leupold Vari-X Mk II in 3x9; Weaver mounts. It shot sorta okay, but was better after mypreviously described meddling around with the forearm's bedding.

I never could get the trigger to suit me, so I installed a Canjar.

I'm doin' fine, but my eyes keep getting older. Back in the '70s, I regularly got five-shot groups around 3/4", and could mostly keep ten shots at about one inch.

For no particular reason in mid-'97, I put a Simmons 44Mag 3.5x10 on it. I did some load development that October, getting ready to try to avoid embarrassment on a sorta-freebie antelope hunt. After cleaning the bore with this new copper-remover stuff, I got a 3-shot, 1/2" group with the doggoned thing! And sure enough, Ol' Pet ruined an antelope's day; one shot. (Lotta work, for just one shot!)

Since then I've built a 500-yard range. Haven't shot much, lately, but I've done two four-shot, four-inch groups; and one ten-shot string of six inches--absent two called flyers.

I've killed 20 some-odd deer with it, and a like number of coyotes. I guess the best offhand shot was shooting the rearend out of a turkey, offhand at around 100 or so yards. I've gotten a couple of running deer out to 175 yards. Then there was the very patient "volunteer" buck who put up with eight misses (beginning out at what I realized was some 550 yards instead of 400) before becoming a "one-shot kill" on the ninth shot (at about 400). Dadgummed deer stood around through all this barrage, and then walked toward me! Dumb. :D

I dunno. I call it about 4,000 rounds through the critter. Mas o menos. Some years I shoot a lot; some years not much. I'll play with my .243 or whatever--but I always come home to "Momma".

Art

ronin308

Art- Nice :D I'm only 20 now and I hope that some of my rifles will still be favorites later on down the trail. There's one that I have that I'm particularly attached to, I'm going to start a new thread about it once I get some pics of it to post. Its a .308 custom scout based on a Mauser action. It has a Parker Hale trigger set to about 3lbs., a 19.5" barrel that was turned down from a blank, a laminated stock, Burris scout mount, and a Leupold M8 IER scout scope. I get something like .75" three shot groups w/ Federal Match. Its done .5" groups but its not the norm. I haven't had it long so I haven't really found a good hunting load for it yet. And I haven't tried it at long distances yet. But we'll see in all due time :)

Dan

Hemicuda

Well, Art...

I couldn't agree more about the pet gun thing...

Allow me to explain a bit... my FIRST centerfire riflrwas a Savage model 110-E in 30-06... an UGLY bugger, but BOY did it shoot...

it had a POS simmons 4 power on it, and the original "painted" on finish...

I STILL own it, now in a Brownells 'Glass stock, and with a Simmons 3-10X44 MAG scope... it IS my baby, and still shoots like a million dollars...

5 years ago, my father decided to grace me with a custom German Kar98 Mauser he had built... so, I got his pet-gun, a 280 Rem. with all the trimmings, Timney trigger, Bueller safety, Bausch & Lomb on a williams 1 piece mount... a REAL tack-driver... Dad built it for 600 yard competition... 26" star PREMIUM barrel... Fajen custom made thumbhole stock...

THIS is why I have duplicates...

2 years ago he graced me with another of his creations, a Model 95 Mauser, Timney, Bueller, AND a cock-on-open kit... THIS time in .284 Win. (ballistically another .280 or '06, just on a "short action"...)

add in my 3 .308's (a Savage 99, a FN-FAL, and a Model 100 Winchester) and my Savage 99 in 7mm-08, and I have FAR TOO MANY in that class...

but yes, my Savage 110 IS my pet gun... (It is what goes to Colorado for Elk every fall!)

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
For a number of years I'd get a table at an Austin gun show. I'd maybe trade into a gun, and then get setup to load for it. I swapped sopes around, meddled and played...Usually sold whatever toys came into my hands; traded into more. They generally shot better than before I got them. Bedding, triggers...

Always came back to the '06 and sometimes the little Sako .243.

Now, I'm trying a Rem 700 Titanium 7mm08. I don't care for the plastic stock; I don't care for the stainless steel--but it feels pretty good, shoots pretty good, and only grosses 6-1/4 pounds. makes walkin'-huntin' a bit easier, in mountain country. So, I'll see.

Fun, though.

Art

Jager1

Yorec:

Probably two of the best of the all around cartridges out there, these calibers are great. The .270 shoots flatter and the .30-06 has a greater bullet selection. Those are the biggest differences.

The .30-06 is a better performer with heavier bullets (165 - 200 gr range) and carries substantially more energy with these loads while the .270 in its medium weight bullet configurations (130 - 140 grs) shoots at a much higher velocity and consequently flatter trajectory. But either are excellent cartridges and in the same ballistic category.

So with longer ranges the .270 is better, but if greater penetration or maximum energy delivery is required the nod goes to the .30-06. Really the margins are so slight, that it's half a dozen one way, 6 the other when arguing which cartidge is better. It all depends on the shooting situation at hand...

That pretty much sums up the debate for me, as they are the two hunting calibers I have chosen. Given the choice of only one, the 30.06 gets my nod of approval, but purely for logistics reasons as mentioned by other members. Still, the .270 has enjoyed tremendous popularity in the last several years and will likely continue to do so.

Hemicuda:

How about the .280 Remington?

Hard to argue with the .280 either. In light of the recent 7mm increase in popularity, I find it odd that it has not enjoyed as much popularity. Being a handloader, I would replace my .270 with a .280 and not feel much, if any, sense of loss logistically and would reap the additional benefit of more delivery energy downrange.