.270 vs. .30-06

James K

Member In Memoriam
Jack O'Connor thought it did, and the argument has been going on since around 1937. In actuality, there is very little difference, and often the widespread availability of the .30-'06 tips the balance for many hunters.

Jim

jdthaddeus

It seems to me that the .30-06 does quite a few things better: More bullet selection, harder hitting, longer range (?). But I am new in this area so I could be wrong.

I do not know of anything the .270 does better except that it recoils a little less, and it shoots a teeny bit flatter, while not as far. Anyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Borf

I personally prefer .30-'06... can get heavier... and frequently quieter ( I think so anyway).

The 270 argument is full of intangibles. Somewhat like the 6.5 Swedish, its supporters claim that the round performs better than it looks on paper.

A deer sized critter probably won't know the difference between them though...

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
If you don't handload, I don't think it makes much difference which one you use. IMO, the '06 is better than the .270 if you're going after trophy elk; heavier bullets are available, with their better penetration.

If you handload, I'd suggest the '06 for the tremendous variety in types of loads. Jacketed, lead; light and either fast or slow; heavy and hard-hitting.

$0.02, Art

yorec

Probably two of the best of the all around cartridges out there, these calibers are great. The .270 shoots flatter and the .30-06 has a greater bullet selection. Those're the biggest differences.

The .30-06 is a better performer with heavier bullets (165 - 200 gr range) and carries substantially more enregy with these loads while the .270 in its medium weight bullet configurations (130 - 140 grs) shoots at a much higher velocity and consequently flatter trajectory. But either are excellent cartridges and in the same ballistic category.

So with longer ranges the .270 is better, but if greater penetration or maximum energy delivery is requred the nod goes to the .30-06. Really the margins are so slight, that it's half a dozen one way, 6 the other when argueing which cartidge is better. It all depends on the shooting situation at hand...

Dr.Rob

Staff Alumnus
The use the same case. (really they do) a 270 is a 30-06 case necked down. I think 270 is light for really big critters like Moose and such. Maybe even a little light for elk, but its a FINE cartridge.

I just wish you could get a heavier bullet in it. Of course then it wouldn't shoot as flat.

If BIG critters are on your agenda you can upload your 30-06 to take a 220 grain roundnose, this low velocity thumper is like dropping the hammer of thor on most deer sized game, and its a good bullet for moose too.

MeekAndMild

Actually you'd be shocked at the similarity. :eek:

Look at the Hornady ballistic chart and compare 500 yard numbers for the 270 and 30-06 150 grain projectiles. They are nearly the same.

In my ignorant and untutored opinion the 270 would have one advantage and that would be in taking antelope sized critters with a 130 grain or lighter projectile at longer ranges.

I love the .30-06 in a Springfield 1903 factory sporter with 150-180 grain loads. Very accurate, even with the two-stage trigger.

For heavier bullets, 8mm Mauser in 196 grains with hot European loads is my choice.

No experience with .270, but I suspect all are winners.

I guess it depends on what you use it for. I think the .30-06 gets the nod for being a great all-around performer. Ammo is so available.

Bruegger

Dr. Rob: "They use the same case. (really they do) a 270 is a 30-06 case necked down."

True, but the .270 case is actually just a shade longer than the .30-06. When I neck .270 cases up to .30-06, I have to trim them. The Speer manual says the case length for a .270 is 64.5mm or so and only 63.35mm or so for the .30-06.

Semper fi,
Bruegger out.

radom

If you use a lighter weight slug in the .270 its probably a hair better deer rifle but if you use a 150 or larger it kicks just like a 06 and performs the same as the 06 despite shooting about 2 dog hairs flater due to a bit less wind resistance. The 06 will put a 220gr tru a elk shoulder while a .270 wont though. I would put more money on the .280 over the .270 myself for a sub .30 on the 06 case.

Kaylee

So out of morbid curiosity, is it possible to load a 30-06 with a very small charge and make it reasonable for small game? Bummer to see a tasty looking bunny rabbit in the woods when you're looking for Bambi...

-K

BigG

Some 30 years ago... one of the old gunwriters, Skeeter Skelton IIRC, wrote an article on the "picket fence" of cartridges. He put all the same-same ctgs next to each other and claimed that they were made to sell (by the factories) rather than to suit a specific purpose. 270 - 280 - 284 - 308 - 30/06 there are about ten more (prolly many more now!!) but I can't remember. They are all about the same but the factories need to sell new rifles as they don't wear out. "Planned Obsolescence" - think of the auto industry. HTH

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Kaylee, years ago I used five grains weight of most any pistol or shotgun powder behind a round lead ball, as a squirrel load. I keep forgetting which is about .31 or .32--OO Buck, or 000? Anyway, the load is about like a .22 Short.

Art

MeekAndMild

So out of morbid curiosity, is it possible to load a 30-06 with a very small charge and make it reasonable for small game?

I looked it up in my old Speer manual and the lightest load they show is a 100 gr bullet using 16 gr of Dupont SR 4759 giving a velocity of 1548 fps. This is a special powder which was developed for reduced rifle loads.

Don't trust these numbers though. My manual is 20 years old. I'm sure that the powder makers could give better inrformation.:eek:

Kaylee

Thanks Art!

Um.. out of curiosity, that doesn't sound like much powder in that big ol' case.. how does it ignite properly? (or is this a subject best suited for another thread?)

Thanks again --

-K

Khornet

.30-'06 vs .270

One reason I chose the '06 for my first centerfire rifle is that there are 3 rounds you can find in any country store in the US: .30-'06, .22LR, and 12.Ga.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Kaylee, a rifle primer is a pretty potent flash of flame. The fast-burning powders ignite quite readily. It probably helps accuracy to always come down on target from a muzzle-high position, so the powder is always toward the rear of the case.

(That's one of the few things Hollywood took from reality. Olden days, folks brought a pistol down on the target, so the powder would be back toward the cap or primer. Carried on into the B Western "oaters".)

Art

Danny45

I've had both, liked them both. In my experience, the .270 seemed more accurate overall. In a box-stock Browning A-bolt, it would should 3/4" groups at 100 yards all day long. Every day. No matter what. And with several different types of factory ammo (this is why I think the cartridge itself is accurate, not just an exceptional rifle). With reloads, the first reload I ever tried, it shot 1/2" groups. Without even trying.

Now for the 30.06. It's a great cartridge, no doubt. But I had a Remington 700BDLSSDM (which basically means it's stainless/synthetic, and had a detachable magazine). I meticulously broke in the barrel the same way snipers do. I also had the trigger worked on, the crown recut (it was out of round), and the stock/barrel freefloated. And the best groups I could get were 1 1/4" at 100 yds. And I tried every possible factory load and reloads I could get my hands on. Was the rifle a POS? Or was it that the .06 just wasn't as accurate of a cartridge? We'll never know.

BTW, I no longer own either rifle. Could care less about the Remington. Kick myself every day over the Browning!!!! :mad:

Hemicuda

just to throw a wrench in the works...

how about the .280 Remington?

FINE round... fast and flat as the '06, and hits almost as hard, and does it in the FINE 7mm diameter, so there is an EXCELLENT selection of bullets out there for handloading...

I have both a .280 and an '06... LOVE them BOTH...