270 versus 7MM-08

Clark

Gunplummer
I remember Savage pushing their .303 Savage (Kind of a stoked up 30-30) for moose. Lots of stories and ads for it. Times have changed, I guess.

And old Savage 99 magazine ads with grizzlies and tigers.

My favorite spiels:
1) If the 30-06 is the most popular cartridge for elk, then the 223 must be overpowered for mule deer.
2) Now that an African bull elephant has been taken with a 22LR, we must adjust our thinking.

Snyper

People overthink things too much now.

Any decent bullet that works well on a deer and is accurate in his rifle will easily take down a Moose.

There are few differences in the ballistic performance of a 270 and a 708

Gunplummer

A cop I knew in Maine told me one time that some poachers had used .410s to kill moose. Not even slugs. They cut lightly around the paper shell below the shot line and let half the shell go down the tube. I don't know how that would work going past the end of the chamber. I don't feel like trying it.

Jim Watson

Ol' Jack O. used more 150 gr 270s than most people remember, he was not completely wedded to the 130 in those days before controlled expansion bullets.

TimSr

With that particular set up there are a couple of other thing he will need. Good sharp knife, camera, and friends to help drag.

The camera is most important because I want to see photos of his buddies dragging a moose.

NHSHOOTER

My friend has hired a guide so I would imagine he will use a 4 wheeler or a good strong horse.
He has decided on his 270 with 150 gr interlocks and lots of practice.

ZeroJunk

Yeah, if I was going to buy a rifle I might choose the 7-08 just because you can get it extremely light in the little Kimbers etc. But, I wouldn't borrow one expecting any advantage in performance because of a heavier slower bullet.

Dirty_Harry

I dont really understand, they are both about the same power......

If you must upgrade, sell the .270 and get the .30-06. You still arent gaining much except bullet selection.

If it were me, I would use the .270.

I'd vote with TimSr

A 270 Winchester with Partition bullets for nearly everything except big bears should be all one needs for Elk or Moose. Many years ago I shot a whitetail buck thru the brisket head on and found the partition near the anus how much penetration does one need? I've used Partitions in everything I shot for more than 30 years and never been disappointed.. William

Regular Joe

This thread reminds me of a little story I read in one of the Hornady manuals.
They were sitting around a campfire, on a hunt. One of the younger guys presented several mangled bullets. He said that none of them had performed as they should have, because the deformation was pretty random, rather than the picture perfect mushrooms that we like to see. Joyce Hornady asked him: "Where did you get those bullets from?". The guy replied that he had cut them out of dead critters.
The obvious question is, if the bullets didn't perform, how did the critters get dead? Stop agonizing. Either caliber can kill a moose, though neither one is a .338 Win. Mag.

Buzzard Bait

no enough diference to matter

Look at the rifle, find the one you like, you would need instruments to measure the difference between those two calibers
bb

Colt46

both are fine

The only real difference is one is short action, the other is long. The .270 will give you better range, but not going to be really much of an issue in practical applications.
Moose are big, tough creatures. Use a premium bullet.

kraigwy

I love the 270, and I wouldn't have a problem taking it for any game in North America.

The 7-08 is also an excellent round. At normal hunting ranges the 7-08 will do anything the 270 will and visa versa.

I don't know where the comment that the 270 kicks as much as an '06 comes from. I have both and don't find that to be the case, but neither are objectionable and I'm a wimp when it comes to recoil.

Here is a link to Midway for the Woodleigh Weldcore 180 grain .270 bullets. A well constructed 150 grain bullet will do just fine for the job but due to your friend and his guides fondness for ungodly heavy bullets here you go.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/871...oint-box-of-50

And here is a link to the same bullet already loaded by Double Tap, just in case.

http://www.doubletapammo.net/index.p...product_id=545

I like the idea of heavy 270 bullets, but that's not one. It has a low BC for a bullet of its length and drops more then the 150 grn. bullets.

Look at the Matrix Ballistics bullets, their 165 gr. bullet has a BC of .650 but you need a 1:9 or faster twist. Most 270s are 1:10.

My Model 70 has a 1:10, I shoot the 150 IB or SST from Hornady. Accurate and stays supper sonic to 1500 yards (MV 1750).
The IB it pricy, but has the same BC as the SST, I use the SST for practice/Target shooting and the IB for hunting.

I would like to build a 1:9 270 so I could try the Matrix Ballistics bullet but I personally don't think its needed for hunting. Target shooting? it looks promising.

Last edited:

samsmix

Gunplumber,

Those were called cut loads or cut shells, and they were a common poaching tool in the cash strapped 1930s Minnesota North Woods of my Fathers youth. He never used them though as they had a bad reputation for bulging the barrel on full choked guns, but he knew folks that did. In those days it was looked the other way if a poor family shot a deer, but let a moneyed man try it and they would throw the book at him.

Recent testing videos shown on YouTube have shown them to be a reasonably good improvised slug, fairly accurate, and massively destructive if somewhat low in penetration. Tested loads were 12ga. 1 1/8 oz "low brass".

FITASC

While there ARE 175 bullets in 7mm, personally, MY 7-08 was the most accurate with a 140 gr bullet and that seems to be its sweet spot, much like the 7mm mag is with a 160. Not saying that a 140 won't take a moose in any way - HIS rifle with HIS loads will determine that, but I would not use a 175.

Terry_M

I have seen multiple 270 rounds completely come apart on elk and deer, but I've helped pack out moose killed with them and they were very dead. Heck I helped pack a moose killed with a 243 so it's all a matter of shot placement. Personally I would use the 7-08 because I don't like the recoil of a 270, but to each his own. I'm biased though. I love the 7-08. I hunt with 160 Speer Grand Slams, they are great for energy delivered on target and penetration.

lefteye

so it's all a matter of shot placement

Actually, it is also a matter of bullet design and construction. A hollow-point is not a good elk bullet - a Nosler Partition, for example, certainly is.

ZeroJunk

Sure it is about shot placement, the fact that other than on forums people aren't all that good at placing shots perfectly.