.25 acp with trailboss

mikld

"are you serious?"

My thoughts , also

Why not? Life (reloading) can get pretty boring sometimes and trying something a bit different (as ling as it's safe) is a good thing. Even if the OP wanted to load his 25 ACP with bat guano, I'd congratulate him on his "out of the box" thinking and ask for a range report...;)

TimSr

Page 803, hornady handbook of cartridge reloading, 8th edition.

"...Its power, though, is similar to but slightly less than that of the 22 rimfire."

I'll disagree with Hornady. The practice is common to compare .22 rimfire published velocities from a 35-40gr lead bullet in a rifle to .25acp 50gr FMJ bullet from a pistol.

With 35gr Gold Dots from a 25acp Raven I'm getting 950-1000fps. I doubt .22 rimfire from a pocket mouse gun barrel in similar bullet weight would do any better, but if somebody was chrony results, I have an open mind.

DaleA

You can test for sunburned powder by wrapping tape around cardboard sticky side out and shooting through it.

!

Huh. Learn something new every day. And now that I have I just might retire for my nap.

That tip seems like a quick and easy way to check. Thanks.

Personally until some science fiction type device shows up to reduce the size of my fingers I think I will refrain from getting them tangled up in my press trying to deal with those tiny cases and bullets. For those that can reload .25 I bet watch repair would be a walk in the park.

SHR970

TimSr wrote: The practice is common to compare .22 rimfire published velocities from a 35-40gr lead bullet in a rifle to .25acp 50gr FMJ bullet from a pistol.

With 35gr Gold Dots from a 25acp Raven I'm getting 950-1000fps. I doubt .22 rimfire from a pocket mouse gun barrel in similar bullet weight would do any better, but if somebody has chrony results, I have an open mind.

Here are real world numbers compliments of NAA using a Black Widow (2" Barrel) with Long and Long Rifle ammo. The decision is up to anyone who cares to run the numbers. NAA Ballistics

tangolima

Not quite watch repair, but close. I deal with electronic components down to the size of 0.04"x0.02" or smaller. I need to use microscope to install them. That's my day job. My part-time job is gunsmithing. From time to time, I handle tiny springs and parts. And for that I have to wear geezer goggles.

Reloading 25 acp is more challenging than the other calibers, but it is no where near my limits. I don't need to wear any optics to do it.

-TL

darkgael

25 vs 22

I chrono'd factory 25s and HV .22s from two inch barreled guns.
The .25 won the ME award. The .22 won the MV award.
Pete

TimSr

Oh crap, something else to test. I have 35 grain Gold Dots.. What are you loading them with TimSR?

I tested with Bullseye, Red Dot, and Unique. I got my best velocities with Unique, which are similar to tests I've read from factory 35gr Gold Dot ammo. Bullseye and red Dot were almost as good, but Unique accuracy was better. All were within published data. I don't hot rod loads for my Raven. :D I really had to hunt for data for powders other than Bullseye for the 35gr bullets.

Raven003_zps7faaae49.jpg

tangolima

Finally got to go to the range to test the loads. I got 675fps with 1gr of trailboss. The bullet is 50gr cast, and the pistol is Mauser 1910. Everything functioned just fine. Accuracy was not bad. About 3" at 10 yard, single handed. It is good enough for me. Thanks everyone.

-TL

RC20

Bless you guys for reloading the 25 caliber.

They would pry me off the walls of a rubber room but I admire the ones that have the patience for it.

My wife has a 25 Baby browning. I thought it was defective until my brother told me that the lame sounding firing pin was normal (he had a 25 or one sort or another)

He gave me some ammo, I had some of hers from days gone by and danged if it did not shoot. 100 years old or close to it, beat up and wore, many careers I gather and it sill shoots. Amazing.

Granted I could not hit a target at 7 yds., the 75 feet is danged good.

Smallest I ever did was 380 and gave that up as too much patience.

tangolima

I wouldn't mind getting a pound of Bullseye if it is readily available in local store. Before that happens, I am good with what I have; trailboss. Good enough and no chance to double load.

-TL