25-06 or 6.5x55 Swede?

azsixshooter

I thought I was pretty dead-set on going with a Savage 110 in 25-06 for my first centerfire rifle. In fact, if my truck hadn't got broke into last week I would have already ordered it (oh, and I couldn't pass on a Mark II that I saw). Then I saw all the different bullets available for the 6.5x55 and it looks like it might fit the bill even better for me. Here are my requirements:

-Will be primarily used for hunting Antelope and Cougar;
-Possible Coyote control duty at some point;
-I will be getting into reloading and want a cartridge that is versatile and fun to load for;
-I am not recoil-sensitive, I really have no problem with 3" mag slugs out of my 12 Gauge but I want a rifle that I can shoot very comfortably;
-I like target shooting so I will probably play around with it at longer distances for fun;

I'm not too sure about the availability of the 6.5x55 in many rifles. It doesn't look like Savage offers it and I am pretty set on that 110. I like the accu-trigger, no internal lock (I will never buy a gun with an internal lock) and the price is right. I don't want to spend too much on the rifle ($550 is about as high as I want to go) because I want to get going with reloading and I also want to get a really nice scope.

So I guess if I can find a rifle I like in the 6.5x55 Swede then that cartridge will probably be the best bet for me. I'm under the impression that it either comes in mil-surp type rifles or higher-end expensive rifles. Any suggestions?

EDIT: Must be bolt action and wood/blued.

If you are interested in a modern rifle, check out the Tika Hunter in 6.5x55.

As far as cartridge vs. cartridge, from what I understand, 6.5mm bullets are superior in the area of ballistic co-efficiency and sectional density, making them very stable & accurate, as well as being capable of very good penetration. I have no experience with the .25-06 so I cant help you there. Im sure someone will come along that does. Good luck.

sundog

6.5x55 may not be available in the model you want, but .260 Rem might be. Just about the same thing.

azsixshooter

I really like the CZ 550 American, but I want iron sights. Plus the retail price is listed at $783.00. I don't want to spend that much. Damn Savage, why can't they just make the 110 in 6.5x55. I see that you can re-barrel the Savage with a Midway 6.5x55 replacement barrel. Maybe I'll just get the 110 in 25-06 and re-barrel it some point in the future.

The thing is now I don't think I'll be happy with the 25-06 anymore. Kind of like when you're really into a hot girl but then get a whiff of her hotter cousin/sister/friend. Suddenly the first girl isn't so hot anymore.

The Tikka Hunter is nice, but I'd prefer a 4 round magazine and iron sights. But that one is close to what I want and the price isn't too bad. Still, I'd rather spend ~$500 on the rifle and have plenty for a nice scope.

oneounceload

My 101 year old swede mauser will put 3 120 grain bullets into 1" or less - with an 18" barrel and kicks less than my model 7 in 7-08, which is almost a ballistic twin, as is the 260 mentioned above.....Anything like that will do well for what you're hunting - as will the 25-06.

To me, the swede just seems to kick less and shoot as flat - at least out to 250 yards

guntotin_fool

25-06 can be hard on barrels if you shoot a lot, its a lot of powder going thru a small hole.

options, .257 bob, .260 rem, 6.5 swede, 7x57 mauser.

all are going to do fine, all can be handloaded all over the map. and while finding a rifle in any is not easy, (curses on the shooting media hype for magnumitis) when you find that rifle, it will be a good shooter.

Snow Dog

The 6.5x55 is a great round - it's my favourite! If you want a modern rifle in that caliber then you are fairly limited in selection and mostly European makers. I've heard good things about the CZ lines but I have not tried one myself. I have a Tikka T3 Varmint in that caliber and used to have a regular T3 Lite. They are great values for the money and are very accurate and smooth. You can use the 5 round mags from the Varmint line in any of the T3 offerings (just make sure you get the one appropriate for the cartridge length).

106RR

25-06 or 6.5x55

I have a Steyr SBS 6.5X55 and it is the most accurate rifle I own. There are Norma 120gr Ballistic Tips at almost 2900 fps available. S&B, PriviPartisan, and Wolf Gold are available on the cheap side. PMC is around and pretty good.
I do have to search a bit to find the exact load I want. Federal 140gr is the most accurate at .87 inches for a three group average of three shots each. Winchester is easy to find and Remington a little less so on the West coast.
PriviPartisan makes good accurate (1.25") practice ammo. Hornady is usually the most accurate ammo in many guns but I get 1.25" groups with the Light Magnum 129gr loads and the 140gr. I found but have not yet tried Remington 140gr Corelokt, the 129gr SST Light Magnum and the old Federal 140gr Nosler. Walmart does not carry 6.5 or 25-06 in California
The recoil is light and the accuracy is great so it is easy to make a humane hit with the 6.5X55.

Wildalaska

6.5x55.

if you by a sporterized milsurp, you have to be careful with your handloads. Modern guns will take more.

The Swede is a loaders dream.

Right now I am load devoloping for Blasers. I'm at 5 shot sub MOA with 108 Scenars at about 3050. We are getting 2800 fps 5 shot .400" groups with 120Nosler BTs. I got an inch the other day with 120 TSXs @2650, five shots.

Best I have done with it is 5 shots, .342 @100 yards with 139 scenars at 2743. But I did snag 1.5" at 330 yards with 100 grain Norma Dimond Line, 5 shots.

Those are all Blaser loads. In my M41 I have gotten .396 5 shots with 139 scenars at 2675 or thereabouts.

The swede likes slow powders like RL22 and VN560. It likes moderate velocities for best accuracy. Next experiment is with 130 scirrocs, 156 Alaskans, 156 megas and carefuilly, 140 naturalis

If you can't afford a Blaser (which of course I could help you with :)), look for a Kimber done over 96 or a CZ. I dont like Tikka. Winchester Fwts are nice if you can find them as are the rem Classics..steyr sbs would be awesome too.

Avoide US brass...use only Norma or Lapua

WildgoodluckAlaska ™

Wildalaska

What about the PMC/Prvi/Wolf boxer primed brass? Shoot east-european factory for a bit and collect it, then reload it?

I think that brass is poor quality, although one of them (can't remember which) is in spec.

What is wrong with U.S. brass?

IIRC, its not to proper spec.

WildcaseheaddimensionsAlaska ™

hodaka

WA- You may be able to tell the difference with your Blaser, but for my 1914 Carl Gustaf, I can't tell any difference between US and Eurobrass. Iron sights and 60 year old eyes not withstanding.

shooter_john

Easy fix...
Buy the Savage 110 in 25-06, and then when you're ready get a 6.5x55 barrel and a Savage wrench ($30) and you can swap barrels at your leisure. Takes about 5 minutes once you get the hang of it. Savageshooters.com is your friend if you go that route!

azsixshooter

Well it's settled then ;)

The Swede is in. I'm committing to the cartridge and leaning pretty heavily towards the CZ550 American. It's more than I wanted to spend, but I think a rifle is a good place to spend a little extra money. What do you all think about single set triggers for hunting though? I still haven't written off the Tikka, but that CZ looks really pretty and I've always heard that they're in a great class.

I'll have to wait an extra month or so on getting a nice scope for her, but I can put a beater scope on if I have to until I can get something good.

sneaky pete

??What's Wrong with US Brass??

Sneaky Pete here: Nothing IF you'r shooting American modern weapons. However If you're shooting an old mil-spec Swed mauser there IS SOMETHING WRONG with it. It's made to a spec that's DIFFERENT then the mil surp chamber! When te Scandanavian countries adopted the 6.5X55 Swed Mauser round it was per CIP specs and the Sweds cut their chambers to the CIP specs. Then, along came someone in America that had a different Idea, results, SAAMI specs. I mean that round has been arund since 1906 and we still couldn't get it right. Heck, the orientals could have got it right the 1st time. While I don't know when SAAMI came into existance I can't believe it was prior to 1906. Where is this all leading to--- I had mistakenly bought some Winchester brass-cut to SAAMI specs(befor I knew any better) and after 2 reloads I started to get "Neck Splits". I threw all my Win. brass in the trass and now I only buy the Big Buck stuff that is made to the proper spec for my chamber LAPUA. OBTW WILDALASKA--have you ever used Viht. N560 with the 139gr Scenars??? I got about 8 # a while back and My m41/B really likes it I l like the "Silver" cuz it's as slippery a snot on a door knob and when I talked to the people at Viht. (internet) they explained all about what it does and I liked it. I was at the range 2 weeks ago and a couple of real nice 7/8" 10 shot groups @ 100 off the bench THANX--SNEAKY:cool: If you think Ankorage is "Weird" --Come-on down to Key West during "Fantisy Fest" -you won't believe it THX-S/P

Wildalaska

OBTW WILDALASKA--have you ever used Viht. N560 with the 139gr Scenars???

No, only becasue my RL22 load is just where I want it and I dont want to reintroduce the wheel. Basically I got it duplicating Swede military ball which is what I want to shoot in the M41. Plus I can get 5 pound jugs of RL22, I can only get 2 pounders of N560 and its 20% more expensive.

In the Blaser, I bet I will get some more speed out of VN560 and the 139...but as it is, my 47 grain load duplicates Lapua match stuff so I'm gravy there.

I am using VN 560 for the hunting loads I am working on.

The beauty of the Blaser is that I can neck size for my 6.5x55 barrel and my bud can use them in his 6.5x55 barrel, and vice versa. Also, it is my contention that the Blaser is the strongest action out there.

I dont use the Silver Scnars, I shoot too much and am too cheap to spend the extra $$ :)

I was at this gay costume/nude party in Key West years ago, what a wild time!

WildlotsofleatherunderwearAlaska TM

73-Captain

Savage will try to build any rifle and in any caliber you want within reason.

They built a custom Savage 12 BVSS in .260 Rem. for me. The price was much lower than I expected. If Savage is not currently chambering a rifle in 6.5x55mm they can build it for you. They can throat it for whatever bullets you prefer to use.

Call "Effie" in the Savage Custom Shop, she is great to work with.

When it comes to cartridges, I don't know why but like most people in the US I hated the 6.5mm. I used to be a big fan of the .25 calibers. After doing my own independent, original research I have found the 6.5mm is just about the perfect bore size for most uses.

Regardless of what the want to be experts say there is no such thing as a "best" all-around rifle or cartridge! You can have all the polls you want and argue, rant and rave on every post and thread buy, sorry, it just does not exist!!!

The .260 Rem. and Savage 12 is "the best" for MY NEEDS. I buy guns for MY needs, not someone elses. The .260 Rem does everything I want it to do and diameter wise it is almost exactly half way between the .22 Centerfires the .30 calibers.

Ballisticly, the .260 Rem is just a "modern" 6.5x55mm. Just slightly better overall, handles bullets 140g and lighter much better but doesn't handle the heavy 160g bullets as well.

I know I'll make some people cry but either of these (the .260 or Swede) is FAR superior to the .243/6mm as a "first" rifle for kids, women or anyone else. Same with the .257/.25-06. Personally, I would (and did) take the .260 over the 7mm-08.

When the "experts" argue which is "flatter shooting", the real question is AT WHAT RANGE and what range were they sighted in at? Compare them with the optimum bullets in each cartridge and out to maybe 400 yards they are about the same. Problem is, the .24 and .25 calibers have run out of steam at that range and the .26 calibers are just beginning to show their superiority.

You won't regret buying a Savage. You won't regret buying a 6.5mm.

C.

Last edited:

Threefeathers

The 6.5X55 is my dream cartridge. I have 2 rifles both Swede Mausers and I load them fairly hot. You hear bull**** tales about the steek in the Sweds and that is wrong. The problem with hot bullets came up with the Norwegian Krags that are not as strong. The Swedes used a steep that was stoonger the the German Mausers which are considered an excellent gun. I have one that uses the Swede action with the Midway conversion kit which is a barrel, and Fajen stock. Mine was glass bedded and I mounted a Burris fullfield on it.
The other is a all numbers matching Swedish rifle. Both will get 1/2 inch groups at 1oo meters with Lapua brass and my handloads.

Wildalaska

Its not the steel, its the action design

I've been playing with swedes for 25 years. Dont hot rod them

WildalittleisokAlaska ™