.25-06 Bullets for Whitetail

NHSHOOTER

I know this post is about bullets for the 1/4 bore, what powders do you like? I have just a bit of RE 22, but I have a good amount of H4831 and a small amount of IMR 4831,I have a few other powders and will work in the 1/4 bore

GeauxTide

In an old Speer Manual, they reference issues with their cup and core line at impact velocities of 3000fps. I shot two deer that were gutted and blew a rear leg off at 75 to 100 yards. 145gr Speer Hot Cor at measured 3130. Bonded and Mono bullets give full penetration and proper hydraulic action to the chest.

44 AMP

Staff
Its not just bore size, but bore and cartridge size that determines which powders are suitable.

the .25-06 is the classic "overbore" cartridge, and slow powders will give you high velocity results. One of my friends favorites was "a case full or IMR 4350" under the 87gr hollow point. Saw him blow woodchucks apart at a full (and later measured 507yards. (NOT a good deer load ;))

IMR 4350 and other slow powders in that class are suited to the 25-06, but not to 1/4 bores smaller than the .257 Roberts. Not good for the .250-3000 and totally unsuitable for the .25-20.

More medium burn rate powders will turn in acceptable results in the .25-06, just not the maximum velocities possible with slow rifle powders.

IMR 4831 works for me just fine in my 25-06. Have tried others but have always returned to that old reliable IMR powder.
One thing is obvious. I could have made a better choice in bullet selection for the velocity I prefer. But I intend to rectify with taylorce1 suggestion > TTSX

NHSHOOTER

Sure Shot Mc Gee I have seen that the ttsx are available but both my '06s are shooting the cheaper bullets just fine, I do hunt with the ttsx in my 7-08 xbolt with great results. Please let us know how you make out with the 25 cal ttsx ..

bamaranger

HPBT

I read good things about the Sierra HPBT Gamekings, but have only used them on one deer , an 85 gr pill arriving at about 2900 fps resulting in a very dead dear after a brief death run.

Sierra says they Gameking HPBT's are stout bullets. Sorry I cannot advise on a 25-06 as I have no experience with the cartridge.

taylorce1

bamaranger said:
I'm a bit scattered tonight. The 85 gr BTHP was from a .243

That's a good bullet that I use a lot in 6mm rifles. If Sierra built a similar bullet in a .25 cal it would be a killer as well. Plus the perfect bullet for my .250 Savage.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
For me, the Barnes TTSX bullets have performed so well in everything I've put them in (guns and animals:D) that I don't even try anything else anymore.

I'm sure they're not "perfect", but they're close enough.

80gr from a .243Win, I have seen them penetrate a whitetail buck diagonally, shattering the rear hip and stopping just inside the opposite side front shoulder.

I killed a 5x5 bull elk at 250 yards with 120gr 7mm-08, DRT, like he got hit by lightning.

A friend of mine has killed several deer from 150-200 yards with 55gr from a .223, none went more than 50 yards.

They're just awesome. As long as they are available, I don't see using anything else.

NHSHOOTER

Brian, I do like the ttsx in my 7-08 very accurate and I have killed 3 deer with them 2 were drt, 1 went 20 yds. just cant get the accuracy out of them in my m77 243, have yet to try them in my 25-06 basically due to the expense, and I have like 300 sierra 117 spbt and some 117 sst's, I know ill end up trying the ttsx eventually, thats just me..

HiBC

I get 3050 fps with a 115 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip from my .257R AI. I use H-4831sc I've used that bullet since it was introduced.
It does what I want it to do. I'm not even curious to try anything else. Accurate, good BC, put it inside the ribcage and it kills well.

Note I have a 1 in 10 twist.

Its not a 25-06 but its not far off.

bamaranger

.25 90gr. bthp

Sierra lists a 90 gr bthp, but every source I check, including Sierra, states out of stock or not currently available.......like so many other products these days.

I'm not sure if that means "no longer available, or not available at this time". The 25-06 case has a lot of powder capacity, but driven to no more than 3000 fps at the muzzle, I'd bet it'd do fine on deer.

Pumpkin

Stick with a good 117-120 gr bullet. Light bullets will have a much greater chance of ruining a lot of meat. 87 is much to light for the 06, better for the 250, 25-35, etc.
I have a quantity of Hornady 120 HP Flat Base that I used to load with IMR 4831, very deadly. Can't remember if they are Interlocks or not.