.25-06 Bullets for Whitetail

reynolds357

What are some of your favorites? I prefer a good blood trail for the short distance they run Loaded 87gr Bonded Norma's for years, but stash is finally depleted.

sako2

117gn sierra GK. Every whitetail we shot with it either dropped in it's tracks or bled like hell.

NHSHOOTER

Funny you should post this question, I just acquired a 25-06 last year and decided to take it hunting down to NC on a guided hunt, tried some 117gr sierra for accuracy and it wasnt what I was looking for, about a 2"group at 100, and I knew the rifle was capable of much better since I got it from my brother and he said it was a tack driver, I ordered some Hornady 117 gr sst my first load developed with imr 4831 printed 3/4" at 100yds, which is pretty good for deer, shot several groups and the first was not a fluke, so, down south I go and on the second day of the hunt a spikehorn stood broadside at 100yds and it was a pretty quick shot since the shooting lane was narrow and I hit him a bit high in the shoulder but he just flipped over backwards and DRT, I was quite impressed although since it was a shoulder shot it didnt go through and didnt ruin much of the meat either, I took the rifle back out last week here in NH and at about 7:30 ish I had a spike cross the logging road I was watching at 165 yds, had already ranged a few spots upon sitting with my laser. Well I had about 3 seconds to pop off my mitten, grab my rifle and rest it on the tree and fired quite quickly, it was a quick shot just as he was about to walk off the clearing so at the distance wasnt even sure if it was a hit. I didnt wait long and walked up the trail to where he crossed and after just a min or 2 found 1 little spot of blood confirming a hit, within 10 feet found a few more spots that were getting bigger, stopped and scanned the woods and after seeing what I thought was a deer laying beside a tree confirmed it with a look through my scope, as I was walking to where he lay the blood trail got quite obvious and there was a very large pool where he layed. All in all he ran about 25yds and piled up, the little 117 did a impressive job, entered low on the right shoulder passed threw to just under the opposite leg exploding both lungs..I was very impressed with the bullet performance and accuracy..The rifle is a older ruger model 77 with a 3x9x50 vortex scope..

reynolds357

Funny you should post this question, I just acquired a 25-06 last year and decided to take it hunting down to NC on a guided hunt, tried some 117gr sierra for accuracy and it wasnt what I was looking for, about a 2"group at 100, and I knew the rifle was capable of much better since I got it from my brother and he said it was a tack driver, I ordered some Hornady 117 gr sst my first load developed with imr 4831 printed 3/4" at 100yds, which is pretty good for deer, shot several groups and the first was not a fluke, so, down south I go and on the second day of the hunt a spikehorn stood broadside at 100yds and it was a pretty quick shot since the shooting lane was narrow and I hit him a bit high in the shoulder but he just flipped over backwards and DRT, I was quite impressed although since it was a shoulder shot it didnt go through and didnt ruin much of the meat either, I took the rifle back out last week here in NH and at about 7:30 ish I had a spike cross the logging road I was watching at 165 yds, had already ranged a few spots upon sitting with my laser. Well I had about 3 seconds to pop off my mitten, grab my rifle and rest it on the tree and fired quite quickly, it was a quick shot just as he was about to walk off the clearing so at the distance wasnt even sure if it was a hit. I didnt wait long and walked up the trail to where he crossed and after just a min or 2 found 1 little spot of blood confirming a hit, within 10 feet found a few more spots that were getting bigger, stopped and scanned the woods and after seeing what I thought was a deer laying beside a tree confirmed it with a look through my scope, as I was walking to where he lay the blood trail got quite obvious and there was a very large pool where he layed. All in all he ran about 25yds and piled up, the little 117 did a impressive job, entered low on the right shoulder passed threw to just under the opposite leg exploding both lungs..I was very impressed with the bullet performance and accuracy..The rifle is a older ruger model 77 with a 3x9x50 vortex scope..
Good to hear. I have a few hundred SST 117s that I have never loaded. I am a bit paranoid about the .25-06. The last time I used anything other than the Bonded Norma's was 30 years ago. Was using the Orig Nosler Ballistic tips. On two separate days, Shot two does on shoulder. Rolled both them. Both got up and ran off with no trackable blood trail. Retired the rifle until I came up on the Norma's. They were sold in a bulk bag. Story I was told was they were overrun for .257 Wby factory ammo production. Don't know, but they were deer killing machines.

Last edited:

taylorce1

I used the 120 grain Sierra HPBT Game King mostly on the few pronghorn and mule deer I shot with the .25-06. It worked very well, often didn't need to track as they expired quickly with little or no death dash. I did find an accurate load with the 110 grain Accubonds but didn't use it on game before I sold the rifle.

std7mag

I've used several different bullets in 25 caliber with good success.

100gr Nosler Ballistic Tip in the 250 Savage worked for 2 deer.
115gr Nosler Ballistic performed very well in 257 Roberts & 257 Roberts AI.
As did the 115gr Berger VLD.

I'm planning to try the 120gr Sierra HPBT GameKing & 120gr Nosler Partition in the 25-06 & 25 WSSM this year.

paknheat

I got a lotta love for the 25-06. For mine I’ve settled on the 100 grain Barnes TTSX bullet & H-4831sc . My rifle is a TC Prohunter.

My best bud likes either the 117 grain Hornady SST or the Sierra 117 grain btsp and Reloader 22.
His rifle is a Mauser 98 I built up for him after I finished gunsmith school a few years back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Have a Rem 700 Mtn rifle in 25-06. Shoot 100 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips with a unpublished charging recipe close to 3500 fps. Very accurate and very devastating on soft skin game.
Been giving some thought as of late to change to a lead PSP instead.
NBT on more than one occasion I've observed create allot of unnecessary blood shot tissue at the velocity I prefer to use.

taylorce1

@ Sure Shot Mc Gee,

I wouldn't be using any cup-n-core or bonded bullet at those velocites, I'd be using a solid copper bullet.

GeauxTide

I have used a lot myself in various calibers. Which ones in .25-06? Interlock? Sst? GMX? Other?
I started using Interbonds and GMX in 7mm with outstanding groups and devastating performance. If I had a 25-06, I'd go with CX in 90gr.

taylorce1

taylorce1 Why wouldnt you use cup n core?

Because the poster I was refering to doesn't like bloodshot meat. A solid copper bullet like a Barnes TTSX retains nearly 100% of its original weight. Bloodshot meat is also a result of a bullet fragmentation among other things.

Driving a bullet at 3500 fps and considering the sheer amount of whitetail deer shot inside 100 yards. That's asking a lot of bullets that perform better under 3000 fps, where mono metal bullets not designed to fragment usually don't regardless even with impacts under 100 yards with high MV. Having a bullet that retains nearly 100% of its weight reduces blood shot meat.

Berger VLDs are the worst bullet for bloodshot meat I've experienced, but it kills about the fastest I've seen as well.

bacardisteve

Check out the 101gr Barnes LRX. The bc is higher than the 117gr sst and it will hold together on close shots. I use them in a 257wby to fill crop damage tags on whitetails. I'm pushing them 3680fps in the 257 and they hold up even on unexpected close shots.

NHSHOOTER

It would be nice to try out some other bullets besides the Hornady's but most are either unavailable or out of my price range but for me, the 117 is a killer on whitetails from the 2 I shot and they are priced right, not much meat damage and accurate like a laser in my rifle...I really like threads that come up with a caliber I shoot and can really relate to, the feedback is great!!!

taylorce1
Yes my 1/4 bore has a higher velocity than most. I a long time Reloader: I've always focused on high velocity experimentation on all my cartridges and their firearm. Max C.U.P Proof capabilities >always checked on. Since you've mentioned. Sounds good. I would like to try a Barnes bullet so to cut down on that blood shot tissue. I did find efficient helpful targeting helps. Any-wheres in the head, low in the neck, throat white patch. As owners of we all know the 25-06 is very capable of such shots out past 200 and more.
Back on point: Being frugal: the problem is the size of the 1/4 bores bullet and brass stash here. I'm trying to use up what bullets I have first before buying new. It appears to me do to my age I highly doubt I'll have that chance to open a box of Barnes TTSX anytime soon. No matter a Redwing crock and a lb of kosher salt pulls the blood --OK. ___ thanks for that Barnes__ Tip Sir. :)

44 AMP

Staff
Blood shot meat can be the result of high velocity alone and bone fragments can do it just as effectively as bullet fragments, and can result from a non, or low expanding bullet (like solid copper) hitting bone at high velocity.

In .25 caliber, I use 100-120gr bullets for deer and the 87gr for varmints.

Do pay attention and be sure to get bullets made for game shooting. Also make sure you get the right varmint bullets, for your cartridge, too.

I once got some 87gr Hornady SX, great bullets, but in the box was a warning from Hornady not to push them beyond 3400fps, so in my .25-06, I had to "dial it down" a bit for those slugs.