.22WMR , .32H&R & .38 recoil/stopping power

gak

What Killkenny, Wheel Man and others said (pro) about the .32 Mag. Great, underestimated/underappreciated round. And full 6 shots in formats that only allow 5 .38s/.357s/9mm's. Have both the Smith snubby and the Ruger single action. I also (think I) understand that Ruger is making the SP101 in it again too...and that in the intermediate 3" length makes for a great compromise if snubby is still considered not "enough." The Smith is still just a 1-3/4" airweight snubby and does snap a bit with decent .32 loads but still nothing like a typical .38--especially in a lightweight snubby! Can shoot them all day long.

Also, .32 not that hard to find, - not where I live - just won't find it at Wallyworld and such. And you can get from various online sources such as www.georgia-arms.com which has a great 100 grain JHP for a decent price. I think I saw that they expanded their line to include other types of bullets/loads as well. As they say, also, shot placement is just about everything...and a well placed first - and if necessary follow-up - shot will trump a nervously misplaced shot any day. No, the .32 M ain't no .22 WMR.

All of the above said, IF you decide on the .38 route - and it's a fine round with a great history - take a look at the new(ish) Rossi .357 snub (461 or 2?) - and shoot milder .38s out of it (anyway). Almost dead-ringer for the vaunted Colt Detective Special of yore, with just a slightly bigger diameter cylinder and a little more beef in the frame just ahead of the cylinder - as might befit a .357. I believe it to be the first small frame (Colt calls it D, I call it a J-1/2) 6 shot 38/357 format since the DS. Best deal out there. I don't need one - but I want one "just because" -- and alas it's true, they don't make snakeshot in .32.

stillGHILLIE

I'm pretty pleased with my S&W 432PD. The Georgia Arms ammo hasn't come in yet, but I did find some Magtech S&W Longs at my local shop. Recoil is next to nothing, and the accuracy wasn't all that bad. I love the light weight of the gun, and the extra round is a bonus. In a pinch, I would rather have even the lowly .32 S&W Long over a .22 caliber weapon, but my plan is to keep it stoked with the magnum loads.

Hammer It

In a pinch, I would rather have even the lowly .32 S&W Long over a .22 caliber weapon, but my plan is to keep it stoked with the magnum loads
:confused:

Hello
I have both calibers being the .32 Long and the .32 H&R magnum in S&W revolvers and handload both rounds, and Like them both very well. In an 85 Grain Bullet form the .32 Long has been shown close to 900 FPS which is only 200 FPS Slower than the standard Federal ammuntion Factory Loads for the .32 H&R Magnum. I find this cartridge very accurate and not much different in velocity to it's magnum Brother for daily carry & I doubt it would matter if the .32 Long was chosen over the .32 magnum if loaded with 85 Grain Hollow Points as I see the 200 FPS Marginal between the two when we compare them, in an up close and Personal sittuation The .32 Long was carried by many Police departments in the Early 1920-1930 Era and Often is forgotten at just how effective or accurate it really is. I have seen many Handloads from the .32 Long caliber prove to be more accurate than ones used in the .32 H&R Magnum as well, and sadly there is not many Modern Loads using Better Powders available today which would allow expansion of this round, But by loading it myself and experimenting with it, I see very Little difference if it is stoaked in a good solid revolver . Hammer It

Carlo

Hello,
have you considered .38 loads with a light bullet? Maybe you can try to have your wife test handloads with various bullet weights in a medium frame snub, to see if there is something in .38 she actually likes. An old friend of mine even managed some .38 handloads with 9 short balls, he told me they worked fine, although I never used them myself.

Hammer It

.38 handloads with 9 short balls

Hello
That sure is a recipe for disaster. :rolleyes: The .38 Special round is not the same diameter as the 9MM. Only .357" diameter Bullets should be fired in any .38 Special. Hammer It

Carlo

Hammerit said:
Quote:
.38 handloads with 9 short balls

Hello
That sure is a recipe for disaster. The .38 Special round is not the same diameter as the 9MM. Only .357" diameter Bullets should be fired in any .38 Special. Hammer It

I found it weird too, but he told me he did and it went fine. I seem to remember he used lead round noses, he shew them to me at the station where he worked as I was about to go to catch the train. If anything, i would expect the .355 ball to be at least less accurate than the .357 the revolver should use.
Why he did it I don't know.

Carlo