.22s for Christmas

davlandrum

I tried the search function and did not really find what I was looking for.

My wife, who is neutral, at best, regarding guns despite an Army career of over 20 years, has finally recognized that our kids are ready for .22s.

Question - is there an easy way to measure length of pull? I realize in my price range, I will be limited to regular or youth size stocks, and I think they will all end up with youth-size (12.5" seems to be the norm for youth). Ages are 13, 9, and 7 - although they are all very similar in body size (yes, the older one is small, and the younger ones are monsters)

My criteria:
.22 (.17 is super cool, but I couldn't afford to keep everyone shooting...)
bolt-action (control rate of fire and develop skills for bolt-action hunting rifle later), preferably with a single shot adapter for the short term
kid-proof
accurate enough to be interesting
CHEAP - I am going to have to get 3 of them. Well, 4, since I will get one for me as well.

The range we go to is usually empty (member only, outdoor, members have gate key), and the plan is 2 adults supervising 3 kids, both for adherence to safety and range rules and for coaching. Safety has been developed through bb guns and we are reading the hunter safety manual (I am an instructor) in preparation for them formally attending the class in the spring.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Savage Mark II for the bolt action. I'd really probably step up to a 10/22 or a Marlin 60 but they are both semi auto's and I'm not sure that I'd want to give a 7 year old a semi auto. Really would depend on the kid though I guess.

kwells6

I know its not a bolt like you want, BUT... Gander has NEF Versa-Packs that come with a .22 and a .410 barrel and they're less than $100 on sale. I got one yesterday for $89

Pahoo

Five years ago, we purchased two Marlin single shot bolt action "Youth" models for our Hunter Safety courses. This year we added a full size single shot MK-II Savage as well as a youth single shot. Both models are still current and very resonable. We like to start out these kids on these models with open sights, to learn the basics. I think we paid $130.00 for the newer Savages. I too would suggest looking at the Savages MK-II Series and they have the Accu-Trigger.

Be Safe !!!

davlandrum

Thanks guys, I will check out the Savage MK-II series.

Kwell - No Gander's out here, and a .410 would not get used. Thanks.

I am hoping to swing a deal by buying in bulk...:D

Evan Thomas

If it's within your budget, you might also want to look at the CZ 452 Scout. It's the youth version of the (IMHO :)) best-value-for-the-money bolt action .22 out there -- less expensive than the full-size versions, as the stock is beechwood rather than walnut, but as far as I know, it's the same action. It has the single-shot adapter you want, a 16" barrel and 12" LOP. The only drawback I can see is that I don't think the regular 5-round magazine is included, so those would raise the price a bit...

But the street price is around $275, unless you want pink, which is a bit more. :rolleyes:

Otherwise... another vote for the Savage.

EdInk

Cricket single shot .22s for the younger 2 kids.

Mossberg Plinkster or Marlin equivilant for the 13yr old. Growing up a short kid into a short adult (5'9") was not too much fun when I was younger. It would be embarassing to give him the same guns has the 2 little kids. He is a teenager and will be going into highschool soon. Don't get him the exact same gun as his elementary school siblings. He is significantly older assumingly more mature (mentally) get him something else than the little kids. If you are worried about a semi auto, you control the ammo. It can be rationed 1 round at a time. If you really want home to have a bolt rifle it still needs to be different than the one you get the younger children. Think about how much you'd like to be 13 and get the same thing as a 7 year old. You wouldn't at all.

hodaka

CZ Scout is the best kid's 22 made

Although they cost twice as much as a Marlin. Nothing wrong with the Marlin, they are great values.

Jimro

Savage Mk II's are a great buy. I plan on getting another shortly. Remington Model 5's are very nice too, and a bit more "traditional" looking.

Accuracy in each is very nice.

Jimro

mesabi

Savage cub $213
savage mark 2 youth gy $226
Henry mini bolt $249
Stevens mini youth $199
Stevens 315 youth $205
CZ usa 452 scout $314

There are some youth models and MSRP. All should be accurate, so it is up to personal preferance and your budget.

rgates

My first rifle (.22) was a semi. I was 14.
You mentioned cheap but not an actual price range. Maybe a lever action for the oldest. Been a while since I looked but I think a Henry was about
$275.00. It would maybe make him feel like he wasn't being treated like one of the younger ones and he would not get bored with it later. Still safer and easier for you to control than a semi. I'm 53 and still love to shoot my 39A. Just something about that lever gun I like. My 21 year old son does also although we have several semi's. The Henry youth model is 13" LOP.

Last edited:

Old Grump

Member in memoriam
Taught my kids on BB guns then a cut down bolt action single shot Savage. I cut the stock down when they were 6 but saved the butt end. When they grew and they grew fast I was able to glue it back on, not pretty but serviceable and I still use that gun to teach new shooters 40 years later.

I determined length by having them shoulder a 1x4 cut roughly to a rifle shape and looked to see where their right hand went after placing their left hand properly. Never underestimate the value of a toy. We made a [promise to each other, they wouldn't shoot without me and I promised to not say no when they wanted to shoot. Always exceptions but a TV show or reading the paper were not good excuses to say no to going shooting.

davlandrum

Thanks for the input all.

Good point made about something different for the older one. It would be a heck of a lot easier if I did not need so many at one time....

Dave

MKII

I grew up using the ruger 10/22 rifle. I love it. and all my siblings grew up shooting the same they are small and reliable, And around my are they only cost around 185.

NWPilgrim

I grew up with a pump and semi .22 rifle, and .22 pistol from about 6 yrs old onward. I think good hands-on instruction and practice with Dad is far more important than the action type.

You definitely want a youth model with shorter stock and lighter weight for the youngest. But the older boy could handle a semi like the Marlin Model 60 for about $100 (tube magazine).

Coop

I have a Savage Mark II and out to 50 yards it is a surprisingly good shooter (I have a 4x32 scope on it). I used it to teach many of my nephews to shoot and it easy enough to just load one bullet at a time and leave the magazine out.

JWT

The Chipmonk can be found on sale for about $100 and is a decent single shot bolt action .22 for a younger beginner up to about age 11 or 12. I picked on up for my 11 year old grandson's first rifle and he does very well with it and really enjoys shooting the little gun.

viking499

Mine started out with a Rossi combo. If done over again, they both would have had a CZ Scout.

Last edited: