.22LR going south?

Tom2

I was looking to buy a brick of 500 .22LR at the gunshow yesterday. Keep a stash, you know? I saw something called Centurian, some Eley, two PMC types, and a bunch of Aquila. To my suprise, all of them were made in Mexico(not just the Aquila). Only non Mex. bricks he had were Winchester match, which was twice the price of all the others. So are big companies now farming out their non premium ammo to Mexico in alot of cases? How good is the stuff down there? Is there just one big .22LR production line and they box it for different brands? What gives? I think I will try to get US made ammo for now. Except for the Remington cheap bricks, which gets panned by alot of posters as dirty and misfiring.

allenomics

Federal .22 LR (550 cartridges) is made in the USA and it costs $9.88 (Wal-Mart). It's a 36 grain weight round and it almost never fails in my Ruger.

22-rimfire

PMC does not manufacture 22 ammo any more. What you saw is left overs from when they were still in business. But, it was still loaded in Mexico. It is pretty good ammo actually.

Eley and Aquila are made in Mexico as you mentioned. Eley is made on behalf of Remington. Wolf is made in Germany. As mentioned, CCI, Remington (regular stuff), Federal, Winchester (am I missing any?) are made in the USA. Shooters are gravitating toward the match or standard velocity ammo these days as best I can tell. I know I am. I have three cases of PMC Moderators which are standard velocity ammo which shoot pretty darn well in some of my rifles.

I did not know PMC was made in Mexico. My bricks of hyper velocity stuff was made in S. Korea. They had some kind greenish waxy stuff that gummed up my little S&W 8 shot revolver. Didn't even get through the first cylinder before that stuff melted and prevented the cyinder from turning. Kind of a pain to clean, but it does great in my Ruger 10/22. So I just don't buy PMC anymore. Actually, the guy who owns the biggest gunshop around here contacted PMC a couple of years ago to try to order ammo and was told that until military contracts were satisfide no centerfire ammo would be produced for the general public. Nothing was said about law enforcement.

From what I have heard from people born north and south of the border, Aguila makes good ammo, especially if you buy the not cheapest stuff. Aguila supplies many south of the border militaries and LEOs. A guy showed me a nifty round they quit making. It was a .22 short case with a very long bullet that made the cartridge the same length as a .22 LR. Quite the neat little subsonic round. He said that with his can attached to his Ruger auto loader pistol all you can hear is the action as it cycles. Sweet.

22-rimfire

I think everyone who owns a 22 needs a stash of ammo. I honestly don't know how much I own at the moment. I suspect it is in the 25-30k area, maybe a bit more actually.

PMC was (and is) a South Korean company, but the 22's were manufactured on their behalf in Mexico. Most of the premium 22 ammo is foreign manufactured now. Fiocchi is manufactured in France and it can be quite good. Lapua is good stuff too. I understand the PMC is still in business manufacturing ammo in South Korea following financial problems (perhaps bankruptcy). The US plant went belly up a few years back. You even see Russian stuff now available from time to time.

No no no, you fellas have it ALL wrong.

The problem with having ammo made in China is that they DON'T use lead in the bullets.

They've diverted all of that lead into children's toys.

Geez you people don't know squat about globamodized ekonimeks. :rolleyes:

Fremmer

But Mike, the Chinese have plenty of lead to go around in all of their consumer goods.

Personally, I'm more comfortable with the kids chewing on ammo made in the good ol' USA!

VUPDblue

You don't tend to see the "normal" bulk-pack .22lr at gunshows. Federal, Winchester, Remington etc... do not generate much profit for those who setup at shows. You can buy it cheap enough at WallyWorld. That's why you don't see it at funshows.

Hemicuda

As for the rest of it, I don't know... BUT!

you DID make my AM... when you said "I was looking to buy a brick of 500 .22LR at the gunshow yesterday. Keep a stash, you know?"

a brick is NOT a stash... it's a splash... I keep a brick in each vehicle! (and I buy by the case... usually 3 at a time, LOL) :D

Tom2

The PMC stuff I had and still have is Korean and seems to be really accurate in most guns. That is why the Mexican markings suprised me, as well as on the other brands. I had been looking to Winchester X stuff or CCI for the best stuff for GP but I hope they don't farm out their production, or stay US but start to have really high prices. And Wolf is German but Fiocchi is French and what?

Crosshair

Willie D Is the "Match" Federal .22lr at Walmart any more accurate or does it just have fewer duds per box?

Allot fewer duds and much smoother feeding an all of my autoloaders. They do seem to be more accurate as well.