.22LR For My 5 Year Old Daughter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ejn54A3wAbM

Safe until you cock it. Cock it doesn't look hard I've not done it personally though.

I don't see the problem with manually placing the cartridge in the chamber in a single shot bolt gun. It may be difficult for an adult with big finger to do, but shouldn't be too hard. I manually loaded a single shot target gun in this manner without problems when in college.

makarov

I bought my daughter a CZ Scout. It is a little bigger than the chipmunk. I started my daughter out on a BB gun. Then moved her up to the CZ. The CZ is a very accurate rifle.

alaskabushman

Safe until you cock it. Cock it doesn't look hard I've not done it personally though.

True, but the only way to uncock it without some good thumb pressure is to fire the gun. The spring in my Chipmunk is pretty stout, and while I, a 6 foot 220Lb guy have no problem with it, little hands do. No feed ramp is also not a SUPER big deal, but my Remington Targetmaster is much easier to use than the Chipmunk. The Remington is a full sized rifle with a 24'' barrel, not a good youth rifle. The Chipmunk has a 4lb trigger (I checked mine)...but the gun weighs less than 3 pounds, thats hard on little fingers when the pull is heavier than the gun.
The Savage addresses these issues by providing an adjustable trigger, feed ramp, cocks on opening and has an external safety. I still like my Chipmunk, makes a great backpacking rifle (its quite accurate), but it is no longer used by my girls.

Last edited:

Saltydog235

I bought my 4yo a Cricket last spring and he has loved it. I wouldn't worry so much about it being a proper fit, she'll out grow it pretty quickly. The main thing is to find something safe and fun for her to shoot. At 5 years of age, the pulling of the trigger and basic handling are the things to concentrate on, you'll be helping her aim and hold it anyway. Heck if my bo hits the paper or milk jugs full of colored water, I make a big fuss. Marksmanship to a kids is making a noise and seeing dirt or water shoot up, they hit the bullseye every time as far as I am concerned. Buy cheap and safe and don't over think it, the look on her face when it goes bang is worth all the precision shots you'll ever make.

dalegribble

since your daughter is only 5 and not 15 your choice would be different and more age appropriate. i started my sons out at 5 years with a small daisey 22 cal single shot bolt action rifle. i think a single shot is important for safety reasons and to develop accuracy. the daisy rifle we had had a plastic stock, it looked like a normal wooden rifle but it had a button in the stock that would allow the but plate to extend as the child grew. i feel that a single shot rifle is important for a first time young shooter to develop good shooting skills and habits. the daisy rifle had iron sights, again every shooter should start with the basics and develop their skills before they advance to scopes, red dots etc.

the daisy rifle we had was a well thought out rifle for a first time shooter, i dont know if they are still available. the features it had that i thought were good for a first time shooter are:
small size and light weight for a child.
bolt action single shot for safety and developing shooting skills
iron sights for learing to be accurate
expanding stock to grow with the child
add to that good adult supervision
these are features i would recomend in a childs first gun. try to find a gun with as many of these features that you can.

things i would avoid.
buying too much gun (length, weight, ammo capacity, semi auto) for the child even if it is a good price.
i would avoid semi autos of any kind at her age.
i would also avoid any multiple shot rifle. lever actions, tube or magazine feed rifles are all great but they should be something the child should graduate to at a later age.

i am sure there are many brands of rifles out there that meet my recomendations. i think that if you find one for your child it will pay big benifits later in skill, accuracy and safety.

mactavish313

Two 22's for sale to a good home

I have a Ithaca Saddle Gun for sale--with a side mounted scope..:)

Also a Merwin & Hulbert zjr. #922 in good condition.

I'll send photos to anyone interested.

Mac

jimmythegeek

I'll second the CZ Scout. Savage Rascal a good alternative

Nice rifle, comes with a single-shot adapter and you can use standard CZ 22lr 5 and 10 round mags when you want to.

I'm not worried about a bolt action running away, and I dislike the difficulty of
unloading the Cricket once it's been cocked.

Also, while I get the appeal of a Finding Nemo themed/branded rifle for kids, I wanted mine to have one that *looked* like a firearm, not a toy. Besides, My little girl's 5 and at Cabellas she gravitated to the AR-15s. "Can we get one of these, daddy?" I should have listened.