.223 powder help plz

tbtrout

I tried the 4064 and it gave me good results as well. The IMR 4895 gives me better groups at 200yds though. IMR 4198 works well in my Encore, but does not reliably cycle my Bushmaster. When I added more powder the 4895 was still better. I also used Win 748 and it worked well too, but the 4895 seems to be my favorite.

RidgwayCO

Don't forget Ramshot's X-Terminator. It's great out of my 23" T/C Contender rifle using the Speer 50gr HP TNT bullet.

Last edited:

baugh55grfmj

26 gr of H335 is good with a 50 gr bullet. I can get .25 to .50 inch groups with my AR(1 in 9 twist). Also had good luck with Varget, alot cleaner also.

MaineColt

I think the most logical, (and cheapest) thing to try is a couple of different primers. IF your powder is good, you should not have any un-burnt powder left in your brass.

I would try a hotter primer and also be sure that the flash hole is wide open in your brass. Maybe you have a batch of bad brass/flash-holes. (??)

FWIW-I use IMR 3031 in my 223 loads with excellent accuracy.

snuffy

finally got my .223...What type-AR platform, bolt gun, single shot, handgun? had some problems with the powder.. am using 4895 with 23 grain and it seems as tho not all of the powder is burning up...what weight bullet? HP, FMJ, brand, type?when i take the empty case from the gun there are ten or twelve chunks of unburned power left in the case.. any help?? does anyone have a proven load/powder type they would share for me???If you asked a specific question, we could give a specific answer. Vague questions are difficult to answer.

i have some 55 grain fmj... but at the moment im loadin some from midway... 34 grain hp...OH! So now we find out that you're loading a 34 gr. HP of unknown make! If that was in your original post, we would have said, too slow a powder for a very light for caliber bullet! brand that they came up with... cant remember the exact name

Make this a lesson for anyone asking reloading questions. In fact make it a sticky about how to ask reloading questions.