223 loading

Reloadron

I think what needs a little consideration here is how new the reloader is to reloading his or her own ammunition. The original poster is not out shooting matches, it would seem they simply want to make reliable ammunition. This is why I pointed back to the Hornady manual which the original poster is working from and the Hornady bullets the original poster is using.

While I agree seating depth can vary as was well covered the question is using the manual the original poster has and the bullets the original poster has why are the bullets not seating to the cannelure? Has anyone given any thought to the question?

Ron

Nube

THANKS FOR THE REPLIES!! I really appreciate it!! I have solved my problems with the help of this and doing some trial and error with a dummy round. All I need to get is some time and weather to try out my “new “ loads. Just for everyone’s information I have loaded up with varget and 55 grain bullets, per the hornady manual, and after I got them adjusted the “ cannelure“ was just about where it was supposed to be. That taught me to make a dummy round and see how it chambered first!! Again thanks for the replies. Hopefully I don’t ask too many questions about things that I should have been able to look up on my own, but sometimes opinions are helpful.

Last edited:

Reloadron

Hopefully I don’t ask too many questions about things that I should have been able to look up on my own, but sometimes opinions are helpful.

Glad things went well and anytime you have questions ask. Every reloading enthusiast starts out somewhere.

Ron

603Country

My 223 is also a 9 twist. I get great accuracy with 40 gr Nosler BTs, 55 gr BTs, 60 gr Partitions and 65 gr Sierra GKs, all over H335 powder. Varget works fine too, but with some bullets and loads it’s hard to get all the powder I want to use packed into the case.

As for COAL, I have noticed that the Nosler manual’s recommended loads and COAL with their bullets will be close to what I’ll find to be best.